Soldier gets Silver Star [and] reprimand.

Discussion in 'US' started by ObnoxiousJockGit, Mar 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldier gets Silver Star, reprimand for same battle.
  2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Happens. A Lt Cdr in Borneo got an MBE and a court martial for the same op (the CM for losing two outboard motors). Ended up as a full admiral. Exceptionally decent bloke by the way.
  3. Every chuck-up I've ever had included a bollocking.
  4. My uncle got an MC and Bar, he'd probably have preferred to be allowed in the pub.
  5. Just noticed this Washington Post article.
  6. I know a fine older gentleman who was a USN officer. He earned the Medal of Honor in Korea and told me he had expected a court martial for crashing his plane.
  7. Total Disgrace, the ones who should be given a pistol with 1 bullet are the fools who decided to put an Outpost at the Bottom of a Valley with the surrounding High Ground unsecured.
  8. Reminds me of the Documentary about LCpl Jack Mizon, Grenadier Guards, who was going through the Justice system for assualting a copper IIRC and then gets marched in to the old man to receive a MiD from his last sandy tour.
  9. Once saw a Regt Conduct sheet for a Ssgt that had a GOC's commendation for taking IA after a grenade thrown by an OCDT hit a wall and rebounded back to the group. Followed by a charge for failling to attend a dental appointment published on p1O's.
  10. Well, in this case a Letter of Reprimand means the Captains career is finished. He will be forced out soon by a retention board

Title 10, United States Code, and Army policy as contained in AR 600-8-24, requires officers who are not selected for promotion twice be separated from active duty no later than the first day of the seventh calendar month after the month in which the Secretary of Defense approves the report of the board which considered the officer the second time.

Officers involuntarily separated for failure to be selected for promotion will have the reason "Failure of Selection for Permanent Promotion" and appropriate separation program designator code (JGB for RA) IAW AR 635-5-1, entered in blocks 26 and 28, of their DD Form 214 on separation. This action is required by Department of Defense policy to ensure the officer has an official document to verify eligibility for the involuntary separation benefits as defined in Chapter 58, Title 10, United States Code.
  11. One of my favourites was the story that concerned Eisenhower and Ramsay when they visited the Normandy beaches just after the invasion aboard HMS Apollo, a fast minelayer. Eisenhower "encouraged" her captain to get closer to the shore so he could get a better view and, inevitably, the ship grounded, damaging her propellors.

The captain of Apollo, Grindle, was mortified and knew that he would have to face a Court of Enquiry.

Eisenhower took the blame but Ramsay said told him not to worry "since Grindle would only get a reprimand from the Admiralty and that most good naval officers have a reprimand or two on their records"

Eisenhower later wrote a letter of mitigation (something i find astonishing given the enormous presures on him at that time) to Cunningham, the First Sea Lord.

I have know idea what Grindle actually got though.
  12. They use to say that the only way to get promoted in the Navy was having been on the wrong side of a courts martial. That way, in the future when a promotion board came up they'd be mulling over the names and yours would be familiar, but no-one could remember why :)
  13. Amazing what google can do :? In other words I should have searched!

Grindle's career doesn't seem to have been harmed: he was awarded two MiDs following D-Day .....