Soldier found dead in camp after three weeks 09/02/2020

Happened to me and another two blokes pitching up at Bastion unexpected. As said, army handles 'the herd' fine but dribs and drabs are frequently forgotten about. Once we left battalion in Germany to travel to Afghanistan via Brize and subject to the usual flight delays etc you're forgotten about in limbo at the Gatehouse :smile: unit just assumes you'll make yourself known to the relevant grown ups upon arrival at your final destination.

Mate of mine had done phase 2 in the RE then onto Leconfield for a driving course. This ended just as Xmas leave started. His Sigs course started mid January. He had no posting order to be back in Gibraltar barracks until the start of his B3 Sigs course.
He went on leave for a month essentially with no one knowing where he was. Not a word was said to him when he turned up for his Sigs course.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I heard about a lass who went on a potential officer familiarisation visit to some capbadge down south. She got off the train and followed a load of other people being directed by a soldier onto a coach.

It wasn't until after 3 days basic training when she enquired how long the visit was meant to be that it was established she's got on the wrong coach.
In the middle of a thread discussing tragedy and massive incompetence, a post that'll make me smile all day long.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Army bureaucracy can be awful at times. As a lowly lance jack many many years ago, I noticed that on Part One orders I was Lt/Col instead of L/Cpl, when I questioned it and asked for my pay to be adjusted and could I please have a casual pay parade I ended up on ROPs for being a sarky, cheeky kunt. Happy days.

Army bureaucracy can be awful at times. As a lowly lance jack many many years ago, I noticed that on Part One orders I was Lt/Col instead of L/Cpl, when I questioned it and asked for my pay to be adjusted and could I please have a casual pay parade I ended up on ROPs for being a sarky, cheeky kunt. Happy days.
Similar thing happened to mate of mine in the Tigers down in Kent...back in the 90s. Messing around with tab slides to protect , and to almost quickie promotion from lance to SSGt to wind up the red cap NCO who was wounding the troop up. Slides ended up permi and he finished off as wo3. Anyhow said red cap ended up in hot water for dressing down matey for no good reason , (unbeknown to him in front of CO who casually turned up in civvies at guardroom).

cheers

Yes it's speculation until proven factual - some MSM reports also claiming he was party to a disciplinary case involving "2 other soldiers from Northern Ireland" just before Christmas, and he had posted pics himself on Social Media claiming he had been roughed up.

I hope Sectarianism hasn't played a part in his death - it seems to be something that the Army still hasn't gotten a grip of properly. I hear since the Arms Plot moves have stopped - many 'Ulstermen' have transferred into Units now permanently based in NI and there have been instances of discrimination against Irish / Catholics serving in the Army from these new 'transferees'.

RIP Young Man.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Similar thing happened to mate of mine in the Tigers down in Kent...back in the 90s. Messing around with tab slides to protect , and to almost quickie promotion from lance to SSGt to wind up the red cap NCO who was wounding the troop up. Slides ended up permi and he finished off as wo3. Anyhow said red cap ended up in hot water for dressing down matey for no good reason , (unbeknown to him in front of CO who casually turned up in civvies at guardroom).

cheers
Google translate doesn't help.

They misspelled my name once, Sig Grey was supposed to be on guard duty apparently, unlike Sig Gray who was watching the Mission in PC69 in Bielefeld having stayed at a female friends flat the night before and that night. On OC's orders I denied not reading orders and pointed out that Grey was not my name.
I got a beasting round the camp from the SSM but other than that there was nothing they could do to me, and we both knew it.

They misspelled my name once, Sig Grey was supposed to be on guard duty apparently, unlike Sig Gray who was watching the Mission in PC69 in Bielefeld having stayed at a female friends flat the night before and that night. On OC's orders I denied not reading orders and pointed out that Grey was not my name.
I got a beasting round the camp from the SSM but other than that there was nothing they could do to me, and we both knew it.
I suppose it varied from unit to unit but I seem to recall that after rank and name your last three were usually printed.

I suppose it varied from unit to unit but I seem to recall that after rank and name your last three were usually printed.
Only seemed to be those who had a name like Smith got their last three printed on our orders. Even then I am not Grey168 either. Though I would possibly have had trouble convincing them it was a genuine mistake.

Only seemed to be those who had a name like Smith got their last three printed on our orders. Even then I am not Grey168 either. Though I would possibly have had trouble convincing them it was a genuine mistake.
Ah, true. It was funny at some Welsh regiments. Every other man was called Jones. The rest were Owen I think.

Most places I went it was last three only for any common or duplicate surnames

Mike Barton

War Hero
Yes it's speculation until proven factual - some MSM reports also claiming he was party to a disciplinary case involving "2 other soldiers from Northern Ireland" just before Christmas, and he had posted pics himself on Social Media claiming he had been roughed up.

I hope Sectarianism hasn't played a part in his death - it seems to be something that the Army still hasn't gotten a grip of properly. I hear since the Arms Plot moves have stopped - many 'Ulstermen' have transferred into Units now permanently based in NI and there have been instances of discrimination against Irish / Catholics serving in the Army from these new 'transferees'.

RIP Young Man.
He was also a traveller, so he might well have been subject to any victimisation on that count.

Room checks once a week.
Not a room inspection, just a head in a door on a rather informal level by an NCO to see that everything is OK.

Something has gone massively wrong here. The worst thing to do now is to have a huge knee jerk reaction and treat blokes like infants, however in light of what has happened things do need to be tightened up. The blokes will whinge and moan that's only natural, but the Army does have a duty of care to the people serving.

Until the full circumstances of the poor lads death come out then the Army will be wanting to be seen to be doing something that will prevent this from happening again.

Has this poor lad died from natural causes, Suicide or has there been foul play involved. Whatever the cause, he was left in a room for three weeks without being discovered.
Maybe instead of being a room check which will become an inspection once certain types get hold of it, make it a daily welfare check carried out by the COS

bedended

War Hero
This happened in Catterick. Nowt to do with RMp.
Morning @RangdoOfArg,
Catterick! Got sent there mid/late 70s for 3 day selection. Told what to take and I'd be sent home and 'called for' if selected. Fckrs there sent me direct to depot where told I wasn't expected. Shown a room(subsequently home), how to get scoff, where the bar and shop was. Then left in said room and told. "The rest of the platoon(?) will turn up over the next few days"(or something similar).
Easiest seven days I ever had at 'The Guards Depot.

Stand easy Guardsman and condolences to his family.

Happened to me and another two blokes pitching up at Bastion unexpected. As said, army handles 'the herd' fine but dribs and drabs are frequently forgotten about. Once we left battalion in Germany to travel to Afghanistan via Brize and subject to the usual flight delays etc you're forgotten about in limbo at the Gatehouse :smile: unit just assumes you'll make yourself known to the relevant grown ups upon arrival at your final destination.
Seems a million miles from my day. Given reporting chit and the time, travel warrants as neccessary.

Whatever the outcome, the level of failures in a system supposed to safeguard people means that people will need to face the music and this may easily mean careers are curtailed and rightly so. How high up the chain will it be felt? That depends how far the people carrying out the resulting investigation feel it is necessry to recommend. Sadly, all too often the system fails those who need it on the rare occaision they actually need it.

Certainly not the news anybody should be recieving "Sorry Ma'am/Sir, your loved one died and was forgotten about". However, there is a family out there grieving and there will be people on here who knew the chap and/or his family, so I'll be uncommonly serious and just say that I hope they find a way to move forward and come to terms with their loss. Condolences.

Whatever the outcome, the level of failures in a system supposed to safeguard people means that people will need to face the music and this may easily mean careers are curtailed and rightly so. How high up the chain will it be felt? That depends how far the people carrying out the resulting investigation feel it is necessry to recommend. Sadly, all too often the system fails those who need it on the rare occaision they actually need it.

Certainly not the news anybody should be recieving "Sorry Ma'am/Sir, your loved one died and was forgotten about". However, there is a family out there grieving and there will be people on here who knew the chap and/or his family, so I'll be uncommonly serious and just say that I hope they find a way to move forward and come to terms with their loss. Condolences.
Not being very realistic today then?

Remember, the Army's oft mentioned phrase when caught doing wrong, not doing what they're paid to do, losing it's people because of faulty or innapropriate equipments - "LESSONS WILL BE LEARNT". Unfortunately they've learnt one lesson very well, how to keep Snr Officers in jobs and blame others lower down the chain*.

*Bearing in mind full facts won't be known until the inquest, if then, speculation on scant info is what we're engaged in, that and collective experience. Experience is what tells us that no-one very Snr will have their collar felt but those lower down the chain will and in this case there has to be culpability throughout.

Latest Threads