Soldier found dead in camp after three weeks 09/02/2020

For the older forum members who served before bank accounts and debit/credit cards were common, soldiers had to attend Pay-Parade every 7 days. March up, stamp your feet in, hand over AB64, officer writes in amount and initials it, cash issued, soldier confirms money correct, gets paybook back, marches off (rinse and repeat).

No one was ever going to be adrift for long, they wouldn't have been paid..

I've been out of the light blue for quite some time but I seem to recall there was a new personnel management system being introduced just as I bailed out. That system was/is called JPA(Joint Personnel Administration). Don't the Army use it?
Only since about 2007!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I cannot tell you how angry this makes me. A guy dead for three weeks?
In a barrack room. **** off, nothing to see here.
Boring Bob, left behind. **** off, nothing to see here.
Putrefying corpse. Iffy smell. **** off, nothing to see here.
Not turned up for work. **** off, nothing to see here.
Where the bloody hell has the army we paid for bloody gone?
People get lost in the army all the time, this is a one off, once in a blue moon incident. Most people that it happens to end up in transit accom for the night and that's it.

I know. I have been surplus to requirements many times myself. But, being a good boy, I reported every am/pm and was detailed to work, or laid off for the shift.
Not presenting oneself =AWOL.
And his CoC didn’t notice?
No. 'Not presenting oneself' does not equal AWOL.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
People get lost in the army all the time, this is a one off, once in a blue moon incident. Most people that it happens to end up in transit accom for the night and that's it.
And that, unfortunately, is how the official report will sound like. Nothing to see here move along!

Sorry, but IMHO, to be left, dead, for three weeks and nobody notices, not good enough.

I appreciate that we like to treat people as adults, but there are checks and balances so something must have slipped between the cracks in this case. Those cracks need some pollyfilla.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
If the unit thought that the lad had been posted out, then why did the QM's Accommodation NCO not check the room for damages and have it prepped for a new soldier to move into?

And that, unfortunately, is how the official report will sound like. Nothing to see here move along!

Sorry, but IMHO, to be left, dead, for three weeks and nobody notices, not good enough.

I appreciate that we like to treat people as adults, but there are checks and balances so something must have slipped between the cracks in this case. Those cracks need some pollyfilla.
No it's not good enough however expecting every one of his officers from platoon commander to the head of the head of the army to resign is a bit of an over reaction.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No it's not good enough however expecting every one of his officers from platoon commander to the head of the head of the army to resign is a bit of an over reaction.
Your course of action would be then.....?

BTW, I agree that a series of resignations should not happen and that this may be more a case of omission rather than commission. If it is a case of the system is at fault then sack the system.

I suspect it's one of those rare occasions where 'the holes in the cheese line up'.

Can't speak for Army but in the RN...I had 2 occasions where I 'slipped through the net'. Once after I'd withdrawn my notice and was on a career course-and got a message to get my arse down to the unit personnel office ASAP (paperwork had not been submitted and I'd technically been a civvy for a week).

When I was medically downgraded - I was drafted to a post in an obscure part of the dockyard where I pretty much was my own boss. After noticing I didn't seem to be appearing on the duty watch roster, and had not received a payslip for 2 consecutive months I made enquiries...subsequently stitching myself up for a few duties...as it became apparent - I'd slipped through the net. Each unit - HMS Drake and the ship I was drafted on assuming that the other was dealing with me. I was living ashore though - not in accomodation. Could have quite easily taken a week off here and there and nobody would have noticed.

Mate of mine at 9 Sigs was a Harrogate junior before becoming a Specop. Got called in to the office one day, told to sign some paperwork. Long story short, they'd screwed up the transition from Apprentice to Soldier and technically he wasn't actually in the Army at all.

Admin can go very wrong.

Your course of action would be then.....?

BTW, I agree that a series of resignations should not happen and that this may be more a case of omission rather than commission. If it is a case of the system is at fault then sack the system.
I would begin by asking the duty NCO of the accommodation block why he had not checked the rooms for so long. The NCO would likely say that it's not something that they do. Then I would recommend that there are basic room inspections to ensure that basic standards are being met. Nothing serious, just a head in the door to make sure it's clean and tidy and no rats, flies or dead bodies inside.

Blokes will complain and hate it but it's tough.

I expect that this may be more effective than the CGS falling on his sword.

I just cannot get my head around how this poor fella was left unchecked for 3 weeks, did he not have any mates or it now the norm to F***k you Jack.
I think everyone is too busy locked away in their own single rooms, posting dits about toaster plugs on FYB.

I would begin by asking the duty NCO of the accommodation block why he had not checked the rooms for so long. The NCO would likely say that it's not something that they do. Then I would recommend that there are basic room inspections to ensure that basic standards are being met. Nothing serious, just a head in the door to make sure it's clean and tidy and no rats, flies or dead bodies inside.

Blokes will complain and hate it but it's tough.

I expect that this may be more effective than the CGS falling on his sword.
I'll direct you to the multiple threads on here (and FYB) about treatment whilst living in Blocks. The Army can't do right for wrong: too many checks and you're infantilising them and making life uncomfortable; not enough and suddenly you've got a dead bloke in a room for 3 weeks.

Room checks once a week.
Not a room inspection, just a head in a door on a rather informal level by an NCO to see that everything is OK.

Something has gone massively wrong here. The worst thing to do now is to have a huge knee jerk reaction and treat blokes like infants, however in light of what has happened things do need to be tightened up. The blokes will whinge and moan that's only natural, but the Army does have a duty of care to the people serving.

Until the full circumstances of the poor lads death come out then the Army will be wanting to be seen to be doing something that will prevent this from happening again.

Has this poor lad died from natural causes, Suicide or has there been foul play involved. Whatever the cause, he was left in a room for three weeks without being discovered.

Did nobody tell you that you can retire with a full pension after 30 years ?
24 years in RMP and 13 in the real police. 35 year contract now for full pension in civvie bill, I need to push until 75 for that.

Remember this was during Xmas and New Year leave. I have been on a camp in Aldershot, not some small out in the middle of nowhere place, over Xmas and New year and gone days without seeing anyone. Come the 20th or so its bomb burst and apart from the ones on guard over the leave period the camp is dead. So relatively easy if this guy was meant to leave camp around that period (not withstanding CQ/SQ accom NCO stuff) then as far as the Unit giving up was concerned he was gone. Recieving Unit, may not be expecting him until week after the rest come back. Nothing worse than new guy posted in on day 1 straight after leave with all the other post leave activity (drunk driving, divorce, murder and usual pillage that ends up on a Admin Sgts desk) so thats possibly where the 3 weeks has gone. If you were not in a right place, Xmas/New Year leave with no family etc, not a soul around then i can imagine things came to a head and he looked at a way out. I think as someone said, the cheese holes were all sadly alligned for this guy to fall through the cracks.

Last edited:

Tool

LE
Room checks once a week.
Not a room inspection, just a head in a door on a rather informal level by an NCO to see that everything is OK.
My point, or as @Legs said, "If the unit thought that the lad had been posted out, then why did the QM's Accommodation NCO not check the room for damages and have it prepped for a new soldier to move into? ".

As for his ex not contacting his unit, it COULD have been something like
"Hi Beth - I'm moving bases. I'll look after the kids this weekend, they're at yours next weekend, and I've asked my folks to take them the following weekend. I'll not be contactible for a bit, as I don't know what the new base's comms is like. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks."

This is indeed a tragic incident. An incident that should really never have happened. However it seems that the majority of good deeds and doing the right thing are nothing but lip service.

It has been mentioned in this thread about the lack of mateship and perhaps that is a result of single room accommodation for young and junior service men and women.

I have been out for a while but even in my civvi job if someone doesn’t turn up we go looking for them. (Mining Camp accomodation).

Nearly 20 years ago as a single Sgt I was just about to be posted AWOL when the Tp Lt and SSgt found me recovering from a hernia operation in the Gilliead Kranenhaus.

It wasn’t as if I hadn’t gone to the med centre, told the SSM of my hospital appointment, left a message on my door in the mess that was still there when I got back, used the service transport and left my car in the mess car park.

Funnily enough the hospital liaison officer asked if I would be getting any visitors. I said no, they will probably think I’ve gone AWOL.

Latest Threads