Soldier found dead in camp after three weeks 09/02/2020

Apparently just seen that another soldier has been found at Catterick missing for sometime
1581254192696.png

A soldier lay dead in an Army camp for three weeks before he was found late last month.

Bernard Mongan’s superiors failed to spot he was not on duty. His widow told a friend: “It’s outrageous no one went to check on him.”

His widow Beth blasted the Army over the mysterious death of her soldier husband whose body lay undiscovered in a military base.

Lance Corporal Bernard Mongan, 33, was found on January 23 in his bedroom in a barracks accommodation block.

The Army has refused to comment on the circumstances of his death. But police have told his widow they believe he died around New Year after investigating his phone records.

He was a friend of one of my nephews while they were serving in the Irish Guards in Iraq, a bit of decorum would go down well,RIP young man.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Unbelievable, how on earth did this happen ffs? Fair enough if the poor bugger died of natural causes but surely he should have been noted as missing parades or missing from his office?
Very strange I just couldn’t see this happening when I was in.

I’d like to know more, but if as reported it’s a serious failure of leadership and management. Binning several figures within his CoC should focus people’s minds.

Digging a bit deeper he was originally Irish Guards, then left and re-enlisted Sigs so the pic is a bit misleading, apparently SigInt.Had claimed bullying. Can’t find anything on the Beeb. Apologies if there is another thread.

ETA RIP young man, just brought some memories back for me.

Lance Corporal Mongan - whose intelligence role meant he would have signed the Official Secrets Act - was supposed to move to 77 Brigade Headquarters, Berkshire, a week after he was last seen alive.
The CoC in Catterick thought he was on Xmas / New Year leave and then posted, therefore did not think anything was awry ?

A possibility, who knows.

Utterly sh!t way to go. RIP.

Not being funny but did nobody notice the facking smell?! Dogshite that nobody noticed him missing, utter dogshite

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jeez, 5 mins late for parade and I was not noticed at the 5 minute point but long before that. How can a soldier lie in barracks, dead, and not be missed/ found?

This is something that needs investigation independently by a civvie with no links to the Chain of Command!

The CoC in Catterick thought he was on Xmas / New Year leave and then posted, therefore did not think anything was awry ?

A possibility, who knows.

Utterly sh!t way to go. RIP.
Posted so the donor unit thinks he's off their books so doesn't look for him - fair do's. But what about the receiving unit? Shouldn't they be shouting "Where's our new man?"

Something very slack in the CoC!!

Formerly, when a soldier was charged with being AWOL, almost the first words of the SNCO giving evidence was a standard, "When he was reported missing, I carried out a search of the area"
Of course there was no charge, and apparently no roll-call, but someone should have had a responsibility for him.

Tragic case

Last edited:
Posted so the donor unit thinks he's off their books so doesn't look for him - fair do's. But what about the receiving unit? Shouldn't they be shouting "Where's our new man?"

Something very slack in the CoC!!
Surely the losing unit would have done the usual with the accommodation NCO with a room check and key handover?
And the gaining unit didn’t notice a non-arrival?
It‘s more than slack or tragic, this is appalling. Surely an army knows where it’s people are at any given time?

I've been out of the light blue for quite some time but I seem to recall there was a new personnel management system being introduced just as I bailed out. That system was/is called JPA(Joint Personnel Administration). Don't the Army use it?

philc

LE
Not withstanding Army rules, postings etc the actual flys and smell should of been a red flag.

An uncle of mine died of a heart attack, niece was away, the neighbours called police after a week due to flys.

Whilst the Army have a few questions to answer did it not strike his wife as odd that they hadn’t spoken for weeks?

Were they estranged?

soleil

Old-Salt
I've been out of the light blue for quite some time but I seem to recall there was a new personnel management system being introduced just as I bailed out. That system was/is called JPA(Joint Personnel Administration). Don't the Army use it?
That's at Kentigern House in Glasgow. There are about 650 staff there, around 150 of them are military, some 500 are civilian staff.

4(T)

LE
Jeez, 5 mins late for parade and I was not noticed at the 5 minute point but long before that. How can a soldier lie in barracks, dead, and not be missed/ found?

This is something that needs investigation independently by a civvie with no links to the Chain of Command!

Block leave - posting - training unit - empty accommodation - repeat at receiving unit - etc.

I know of a similar case where a young soldier was "missing" for nearly two weeks. As it happens, he was alive and well, sat in his pit at the large camp where he was supposed to be on a course. He'd turned up early during block leave, been given a bed and shown the cookhouse by the guard, and then forgotten about.

The course had then mustered in a different block, and reason for his "absence" couldn't be ascertained because the sending unit was on block leave. The lad, somewhat lacking in initiative, had simply idled away his time expecting someone to come and find him!

kimmi851

Old-Salt
Whilst the Army have a few questions to answer did it not strike his wife as odd that they hadn’t spoken for weeks?

Were they estranged?
Separated rather than estranged. And what separated husband checks in every day with his ex wife? He wasn't a stalker, nor was she that type. She was obviously worried enough by the end to be trying to chase for answers, but obviously she would have been trying to make links from scratch at his new location rather than his old one and without necessarily being listed as his NOK any more.

Latest Threads