Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soldier first...

My Dad who is ex-REME has always made a point of reiterating the fact that you are always a soldier first.. I know this is true and I am not knocking it. I am thinking of joining up and had my eye on Intelligence. I have been led to believe that as an operative you will be spending most of your time at a desk, I liked the sound of CPS and thought it might be a bit more active... How much is it up to you what you will be doing when serving with the intelligence?
Also are there any skilled regiments where you will be mentally challenged and get a fair amount of outdoor time when on tours?

Tallshort

War Hero
My Dad who is ex-REME has always made a point of reiterating the fact that you are always a soldier first.. I know this is true and I am not knocking it. I am thinking of joining up and had my eye on Intelligence. I have been led to believe that as an operative you will be spending most of your time at a desk, I liked the sound of CPS and thought it might be a bit more active... How much is it up to you what you will be doing when serving with the intelligence?
Also are there any skilled regiments where you will be mentally challenged and get a fair amount of outdoor time when on tours?

Depends on the tour, as a sapper I tended to be outside a lot building stuff which varied from Bridges to Bogs but filled a lot of sand bags and gabin baskets too which was frankly dull.

REME you tend to be a tradesman first from what I have seen.

As for the rest? well used to see the infantry stagging on most of the time and get spoken to like shit by their knob head officers, Tankies tended to fix their tanks a lot and RMP's just acted like scum.

Take your pick.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Most of them, to be honest. You can also join if you aren't mentally challenged though. We're all about equal opportunity these days.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In answer to your other points:

CPS is about as active as being a delivery driver.
What you will be doing will not be up to you. What postings you get will also be very little to do with you.

"Skilled regiments", "mentally challenged", and "outdoor time" are meaningless terms. You might as well ask if there are Companies which offer Jobs in which you can do Stuff in an Office. Be more specific.

Got to the Int Corps forum and look at the stickies. This has been answered more times that your dad has bummed your sister.