Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soldier First - Officer Later

Jimmys92

Swinger
Hi All,

At the risk of sounding like I cannot make a decision for myself...all feedback/experiences/thoughts/slagging/pisstaking welcome...

I applied to join the Reserves in April 2019 as an Officer and with a couple of delays on the medical questionnaire now being resolved, and the initial medical screening passed. I am looking at completing Briefing in April (after my medical in February) and AOSB sometime after that - Taking me well into July/August I expect before training starts.

The officer route is something I would absolutely want to do, but having attended a few drill nights - it's frustrating to be staring down the barrel (no pun intended) of another 8 months of waiting and periodic assessments when I want to be involved in training/weekends/drill nights in uniform in a shorter timeframe.

I have spoken to my RSUSO and he has offered some good advice, to get in as a soldier then attend potential officer selection/AOSB with some training already done further down the line. Whilst this is the route I will more than likely go down, I want to ensure that my focus does remain on getting a commission in a relatively short time frame and I am not waving goodbye to the aspiration.

James

Last edited:
If it’s a medical issue holding you back things are unlikely to improve by going the soldier route v

Niamac

GCM
At the court martial an officer was being cross-examined by counsel who repeatedly referred to him as a soldier. Eventually said officer could take it no longer.

"I'm not a soldier I'm an officer!" he snapped,

The counsel continued,

"This officer, who by his own admission is no soldier......."

Last edited:
Don't I repeat don't faff around by going the soldier route, If you have all that is required to be considered for Officer selection. There are numerous old threads covering the subject, my advice go the route with your ultimate goal in mind.
If you fail AOSB then you can go soldier and try again from there.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Times have changed. In the past good units preferred potential officers do have a (short) spell in the ranks. However, the commissioning process is now far more prescriptive and Capita delay anything that gets near them. If you have a half decent career it may be better to get on the officer cadet route asp before work commitments intensify as your career progresses.
If considering the Yeomanry do learn the correct proportions for Pimm's !

Dunno how this applies to the army but, in the RN I encountered quite a few who had been assured by the careers office they would soon be officer.
Their attitude was aloof.
I know of none who made it past 2 years.

Dont fall into that trap. @Jimmy_Green remember Finbar.., the gwarrr son of an alleged wing commander?.

Dunno how this applies to the army but, in the RN I encountered quite a few who had been assured by the careers office they would soon be officer.
Their attitude was aloof.
I know of none who made it past 2 years.

Dont fall into that trap. @Jimmy_Green remember Finbar.., the gwarrr son of an alleged wing commander?.
I remember a very gwarr Finbar but confess to knowing nothing about his parents.

There was, on Cov I think but possibly on the Mighty Sausage, a baby OM(C) first name Ben who was thinking about getting his papers raised. He was well enough qualified so I encouraged him to do it. I think he went outside as a 2 & 1/2.

I remember a very gwarr Finbar but confess to knowing nothing about his parents.

There was, on Cov I think but possibly on the Mighty Sausage, a baby OM(C) first name Ben who was thinking about getting his papers raised. He was well enough qualified so I encouraged him to do it. I think he went outside as a 2 & 1/2.
Ben R*ns*m...yep he went on to become an officer. I last saw him as Lt. Not a bad bloke. Finbar (used to say) his dad was a Wing Cmdr in the RAF. He was an OM EW but let everyone know he was destined to be officer. Would be sat down the zoo on Cumberland pretending to read the Telegraph etc etc. Dunno what became of him.
Ben looked like he wouldn't be out of place starring on TopGun IIRC

Issi

War Hero
We had a similar chap.
When asked why he wasn’t getting stuck in and getting his hands dirty, he stated-
“The only things going on these hands are flying gloves!”

He failed his grading.
I think he’s a policeman in Stevenage now. :)

Last edited:
Ben R*ns*m...yep he went on to become an officer. I last saw him as Lt. Not a bad bloke. Finbar (used to say) his dad was a Wing Cmdr in the RAF. He was an OM EW but let everyone know he was destined to be officer. Would be sat down the zoo on Cumberland pretending to read the Telegraph etc etc. Dunno what became of him.
Ben looked like he wouldn't be out of place starring on TopGun IIRC
I think Ben was born to be a Rupert. He had the air then of someone who had the brains but no CDF. Definitely was wasted as a rating.

There was nothing wrong with a damn JR reading the Torygraph. I used to all the time, mainly for the cryptic crossword. When we were away and the papers came on board I always tried to grab a copy before they were snatched by the wardrobe or the chief's mess.

Leo93

Swinger
Hi All,

At the risk of sounding like I cannot make a decision for myself...all feedback/experiences/thoughts/slagging/pisstaking welcome...

I applied to join the Reserves in April 2019 as an Officer and with a couple of delays on the medical questionnaire now being resolved, and the initial medical screening passed. I am looking at completing Briefing in April (after my medical in February) and AOSB sometime after that - Taking me well into July/August I expect before training starts.

The officer route is something I would absolutely want to do, but having attended a few drill nights - it's frustrating to be staring down the barrel (no pun intended) of another 8 months of waiting and periodic assessments when I want to be involved in training/weekends/drill nights in uniform in a shorter timeframe.

I have spoken to my RSUSO and he has offered some good advice, to get in as a soldier then attend potential officer selection/AOSB with some training already done further down the line. Whilst this is the route I will more than likely go down, I want to ensure that my focus does remain on getting a commission in a relatively short time frame and I am not waving goodbye to the aspiration.

James
I've done it this way. I have passed basic training and now going to my first AOSB 1 day thingy in May.

Latest Threads