Soldier dies from injuries 20/04/11

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by blobmeister, Apr 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC news:

A UK soldier has died in hospital from injuries received in an explosion while clearing roadside bombs in Helmand province, Afghanistan.

The soldier, from 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, Royal Logistic Corps, died on Tuesday at the Queen Elizabeth NHS Hospital in Birmingham.

The soldier was clearing Improvised Explosive Devices from Nahr-e Saraj district.

The soldier died despite surgery and evacuation from Camp Bastion to the UK.

Lieutenant Colonel Tim Purbrick said: "The soldier was neutralising a complex set of IEDs which had been sown in an alleyway between two compounds when one of the devices detonated."

The death takes the number of British military personnel killed in Afghanistan since 2001 to 364.

2. RIP, second female to die in Afghanistan.

3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

R.I.P. Thoughts are with those left behind.

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I just caught it on the banner on the BBC News channel.

5. Spokesman for Task Force Helmand Lieutenant Colonel Tim Purbrick said he announced the death "with much sadness".
    He said: "The soldier was neutralising a complex set of improvised explosive devices which had been sown in an alleyway between two compounds when one of the devices detonated.
    "Immediate first aid was provided and a helicopter medical emergency response team recovered the casualty to the military hospital in Camp Bastion."

Another AT? Rip, fella/lass

6. Sky mentions it is a female in the comments. One even mentions her first name.

7. A real shame - my thoughts are with the family.

8. My prayers are with her and her family. RIP

9. RIP

Condolences to Family & friends

10. Rest in Peace

11. Named as Capt Lisa Jane Head, RIP.

12. R.I.P thoughts are with your family and friends

13. Rest In Peace

14. Sky News
    A British soldier who died in hospital in the UK after being injured while clearing roadside bombs in Afghanistan has been named as Captain Lisa Jade Head.
    Capt Head, of 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, the Royal Logistic Corps, had disabled one homemade bomb when another exploded in an alleyway in Nahr e Saraj, Helmand Province on Monday.

The 29-year-old, from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, was flown home and treated at hospital in Birmingham where she died on Tuesday.

Capt Head's family issued a statement saying: "We wish to say that we are extremely proud of Lisa.

"Lisa always said that she had the best job in the world and she loved every second of it.

"Lisa had two families - us and the Army.

Video: Afghanistan - Captain Lisa Jade Head Dies In Birmingham Hospital After Being Injured In Blast | UK News | Sky News

15. HHH

HHH LE

R.I.P. Brave Lady