Soldier development course

Went to my selection and didn’t meet my run time or perform well in the team tasks however attained good scores in everything else. I was given two choices; come back to selection and try again or attend a 4 week “soldier development course”. I picked the latter and am waiting to hear from my CSM however I’d like some more information on what this course entails and why I was offered it amongst others who were closer to their run time than me?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In the nicest way possible, if you didn't mean the basic run time then you need to go have a long hard talk with yourself. You shouldn't need a course or anything else to get you past that very basic level of commitment the army expects from you - that should be all you.

Good luck.

In the nicest way possible, if you didn't mean the basic run time then you need to go have a long hard talk with yourself. You shouldn't need a course or anything else to get you past that very basic level of commitment the army expects from you - that should be all you.

Good luck.
With all due respect I’m not going to justify why I didn’t make the run time when you don’t know my circumstances. Besides, that’s not what I was asking, but thank you.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With all due respect I’m not going to justify why I didn’t make the run time when you don’t know my circumstances. Besides, that’s not what I was asking, but thank you.
Well you pass the 'Don't take shit' test if nothing else. :D

The only reason someone can't complete the run in the time allocated is, bar an injury or simply not trying, that they've not prepared themselves physically or mentally for it.

If for example, you've had personal or family issues arise, that needs to get pushed to the back of your mind. If you're stressed or worried, that needs to get pushed to the back of your mind. You focus on the task at hand and you give it absolutely everything. There have been many soldiers in an operational environment dealing with serious family issues or problems and it all gets put aside (usually!) when they go out the gate.

1.2 miles - you don't have to do anything at the end, so you empty the tanks and go as hard and as fast as you can. Run with mong strength and go for it but once you're done, run back and support others from the side lines further back down the route.

For the team tasks, they're not looking for leaders - a lot of people fall foul of that and try to boss and push around. They're looking for people who can work as a team, so you communicate, communicate, communicate. Suggest, advise, feedback, update; constantly communicate even if it sounds stupid. It's a bit like the Chuckle Brothers. There's no need for them to say "To you, to me" but they do and that's teamwork. Then help everyone. If you've finished your part of the task, support and motivate others or help them if you're allowed.

Most important of all - keep your cool. Don't argue, or lose it because that's a big black mark.

The course looks alright, you get paid to do it so if it's on offer, take it, you've nothing to lose. As to why you and not others, I'd suggest that's less to do with the run time and more that they like what they've seen in you. Anyone can get fitter and faster but you can't adjust someone's poor attitude or solo working mindset.

They'll have made an assessment on who's most likely to pass their next shot at selection and they'll want to give them the support they can to achieve that - clearly you hit that mark.

You're right in that only you know what went wrong, but use the four weeks to address it and best of luck!

and don't gob off you crow ****. ;)

Well you pass the 'Don't take shit' test if nothing else. :D

The only reason someone can't complete the run in the time allocated is, bar an injury or simply not trying, that they've not prepared themselves physically or mentally for it.

If for example, you've had personal or family issues arise, that needs to get pushed to the back of your mind. If you're stressed or worried, that needs to get pushed to the back of your mind. You focus on the task at hand and you give it absolutely everything. There have been many soldiers in an operational environment dealing with serious family issues or problems and it all gets put aside (usually!) when they go out the gate.

1.2 miles - you don't have to do anything at the end, so you empty the tanks and go as hard and as fast as you can. Run with mong strength and go for it but once you're done, run back and support others from the side lines further back down the route.

For the team tasks, they're not looking for leaders - a lot of people fall foul of that and try to boss and push around. They're looking for people who can work as a team, so you communicate, communicate, communicate. Suggest, advise, feedback, update; constantly communicate even if it sounds stupid. It's a bit like the Chuckle Brothers. There's no need for them to say "To you, to me" but they do and that's teamwork. Then help everyone. If you've finished your part of the task, support and motivate others or help them if you're allowed.

Most important of all - keep your cool. Don't argue, or lose it because that's a big black mark.

The course looks alright, you get paid to do it so if it's on offer, take it, you've nothing to lose. As to why you and not others, I'd suggest that's less to do with the run time and more that they like what they've seen in you. Anyone can get fitter and faster but you can't adjust someone's poor attitude or solo working mindset.

They'll have made an assessment on who's most likely to pass their next shot at selection and they'll want to give them the support they can to achieve that - clearly you hit that mark.

You're right in that only you know what went wrong, but use the four weeks to address it and best of luck!

and don't gob off you crow ****. ;)
I’ll take that on board - appreciate it!

Latest Threads