Soldier dead at Castlemartin

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Sad news. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not the first thread on this

Apologies, didn't see it. Admins feel free to delete.

Wales online over an hour ago:
Gavin Hillier, a sergeant from the Welsh Guards died on Thursday, when a live firing exercise was taking place at the Castlemartin range in Pembrokeshire.

BBC News ten minutes ago:
A soldier has died during a live-fire training exercise at a British Army firing range.
The victim, who has not yet been named, was a sergeant in the Welsh Guards, the BBC understands.
He was fatally wounded at the Castlemartin base in Pembrokeshire, on Thursday night.

I despair of the BBC. R.I.P. Sgt Hillier.

Bugger - RIP.

Wasn't there a couple of deaths/serious injuries there early last year too?

Wales online over an hour ago:

BBC News ten minutes ago:

I despair of the BBC. R.I.P. Sgt Hillier.

he probably hasn’t been formally named by the MoD.
Walesonline trawled Facebook and lifted the name on there.

I hope the rest of the Sgt’s NoK have been informed properly.

he probably hasn’t been formally named by the MoD.
Walesonline trawled Facebook and lifted the name on there.

I hope the rest of the Sgt’s NoK have been informed properly.
If it is the same guardsman of this name who i was on a course with a while ago, then bugger.

If not then still bugger and Wales online needs a shoeing if NoK haven't been informed.

Rest in Peace Sgt Hillier. CYMRU AM BYTH

ACAB

LE
I've just read his Father paying his respects on Facebook.

Ah, it's been removed now.

I stopped at Magor services (just the Welsh side of the Bridge) on Monday and there were several coaches of Welsh Guards there. I got chatting to a young 2Lt as we walked into the building and he said they were in their way to Castlemartin. I told him I lived that way and I hoped he had a successful trip.

Tool

LE
Aunty Beeb earleir this mornig said that the NoK had been advised, but the MOD were not releasing the deceased's name yet. RIP to whomever.

Condolences to his family.
R.I.P Guardsman.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
A very dangerous range I was jut reading about the 2012 incident where two officers and a SNCO were found guilty of negligent manslaughter at a court martial.
What amazed me was that after that incident all three who were under investigation were actually promoted prior to the court martial.
Perhaps the next round of MOD savings will see this range closed down.

A very dangerous range I was jut reading about the 2012 incident where two officers and a SNCO were found guilty of negligent manslaughter at a court martial.
What amazed me was that after that incident all three who were under investigation were actually promoted prior to the court martial.
Perhaps the next round of MOD savings will see this range closed down.

Is it really the range which is very dangerous?

The article you link to concludes that it was a failure to deconflict the activities of two adjacent elements which caused the drama.