Soldier convicted of stealing ammunition

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Aug 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/08/09/nammo109.xml

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

New regiment to me.

3. the budgie made him do it

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Heard it on the news on the way back from Bangor.Makes you wonder how stupid he was to steal it in the first place!Maybe he was looking for a way out of the Army I dont know,but I remember stories (and I have no proof to back this up) of buck-shee ammo floating around in the various units in Ulster.But as I said,I dont know if that's true.
    Regards,
    Spike

5. Apparently he had a history of theft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6938387.stm

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I never had any despite what you have heard & anyway you can't prove it :wink:

7. Couldn't agree more with the judge. We should only issue troops with ammunition right before they need it in a firefight.

"Half right! 200m! Taliban in open! Rapid Fff...illinyourindentproduceavalidammunitionhandler'scertificateandwithamagazineof30roundsload!" Then have bloke-with-clipboard standing over them accounting for each shot to make sure the sneaky devils don't have it away on their toes with a live round, empty case or parts thereof.

Alternatively, we could just place a bit of trust in the blokes and punish them if they fall short.

8. Stupid tool, trying to sell it.

Lock him up.

9. FCUKING idiot firstly for getting caught and secondly for trying to sell it to CNUTS who would of used it for crime or drug related reasons. :x

10. Actually, I think the judge is right. How the Army can think it is sensible to give soldiers undefined amounts of LIVE LETHAL ammunition that can KILL people and not do the simple checks as to whether they've used it all is beyond me.

What is so hard about having an officer counting all the bangs, writing them down and then matching the number with the number of empty cases or rounds handed back?

11. Is this a waaah, or have you never actually been on a range?

12. Wah?
    Make the plt Sgt do it...

13. Are you fcuking kidding last time we issued 5,000 rounds and young Pte Smith counted 6,222 bangs. We still managed to collect 7,144 empty cases though so Ill be doing the paperwork for the next six months now.

You can see it after a patrol in Afghan.

Ok sonny how come after your last patrol you were issued 200 live rounds but have only brought back 75 plus 11 empty cases. :roll:

14. A good thought - but they would quickly run out of fingers & toes when dealing with automatic weapons.

15. Think about it you plank.

You pretty well answered your own question there.