Soldier cleared of killing of Briton in Gaza

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4444781.stm

Mr Miller, from Braunton, Devon, was shot as he left a Palestinian home in the dark.

He was struck in the neck, between his helmet and bullet-proof vest.

The victim's colleagues said the team were carrying a white flag and had made themselves known to troops in the area before he was shot.
The Israeli embassy in London said the investigation has been one of the most complex the army has ever launched
Do you believe that the investigation was "complex"? What do you expect from British government? Is it able to defend British interests and lives of Britons? Do you expect that mr.Howard (would he win elections) would be tough with Israelis? (as to me then I doubt).

cheesypoptart said:
Defend British subjects? Not if they're stupid bitches.

Now, about Chechnya...
Dear cheesypoptart!

I understand your point. You thinks that if any citizen of the UK would visit dangerous place (like Iraq for example) then it is up to him to care about own security. Even killing of Briton is not a great sin especially if ... probably she is 'stupid bitch'.

As to Chechnya. Let's compare (in context of 'stupid bitch'):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3095003.stm

Colonel jailed for Chechen murder

The 18-year-old Chechen woman was abducted from her home village of Tangi-Chu and taken to a Russian military camp.

There she was beaten, raped and strangled.

Budanov, who seized and killed her, told the court he believed that she was a Chechen sniper and that a fit of rage came over him as he interrogated her.
Note: raping was not established in the trial.

Btw the colonel detected her photo with sniper rifle in hands and day before two his soldiers were killed by sniper. No matter the colonel was senteced for 10 years in prison.

I was referring to the British government.

And it's good to see a Colonel get convicted for murdering a woman. Now, who's going to get convicted for murdering a country [bait]?

cheesypoptart said:

And it's good to see a Colonel get convicted for murdering a woman. Now, who's going to get convicted for murdering a country [bait]?
Do you mean Iraq? About 100 thousands were killed.

B

benjaminw1

KGB_resident said:
cheesypoptart said:

C'est la Guerre

whiffler said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3667442.stm - showing that the Russian system is whiter-than-white, just like our own.
Quote from mentioned BBC's article (17 September, 2004):

If Mr Putin grants a pardon to Budanov...
But Budanov is still in jail.

KGB_resident said:
cheesypoptart said:

Well, it was more than that, and Saddam will soon be duly convicted. Now, back to the use of Thermobaric weapons in Grozny, why exactly did you go there in the first place?

benjaminw1 said:
C'est la Guerre
"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it."

Mark Twain.

B

benjaminw1

Its our fault

Historically, Russia’s penetration towards Turkey, Iran and India, was explained as a response to the British challenge in India. Thus, the Russian occupation of Caucasia in the nineteenth century was described as a move in the Great Game of colonial powers. However, regardless of the absence of any serious western rival power on today’s scene of action, modern Russia is still playing the same game. It toppled democratically elected leaders in Georgia and Azerbaijan in order to make these countries join the Commonwealth of Independent States. The war in Chechnya, was a logical next step in securing Russian dominance in the area; in fact it is but a repetition of a war which had raged there in the mid-19th century.
from

HISTORICAL REFLECTIONS ON THE WAR IN CHECHNYA

KGB_resident said:
cheesypoptart said:

i love this shite! so where are these figures of 100k dead coming from my soviet friend!

Even the BBC, that oh so balanced news agent of left wing liberalism, can only state that their are NO official figures for civilian dead in Iraq, ..... but estimates range from 15,000 to 100,000.

but sack the stats eh, lets go for Headlines!!!

mind you, even at 100,000 (which is pretty dubious) that is still a tenth (1/10) of the millions that were predicted by, oh, everyone (BBC, Guardian, UN, France, Germany, Russia, Anti-War Coalition, etc, etc).

One last point - when are elections due in Chechan again?????

cheesypoptart said:
Now, back to the use of Thermobaric weapons in Grozny, why exactly did you go there in the first place?
First of all Chechnya is a part of Russia (unlike Iraq). As to the history of the conflict then look

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/2565049.stm

General Maskhadov could not control brutal warlords who grew rich by organised crime and kidnapping. Many victims were murdered by their captors.

In August 1999, Chechen fighters crossed into the neighbouring Russian Republic of Dagestan to support a declaration by an Islamic body based there of an independent Islamic state in parts of Dagestan and Chechnya.
Chechnya became criminal enclave and after direct aggression there was no other solution as to restore law and order there. I hope you agree.

B

benjaminw1

The problem with Continental countries as opposed to Maritime countries is a difficulty in deciding where one's borders stop.

There was a view in both the last two centuries that the north of Persia/Iran are "Russian"...

Chechnya is as much part of Russia as the Falkland Islands are part of Argentina. The UN has a Charter that covers self-determination. Just because governments conveniently forget this doesn't mean we do.

I suppose that the Soviet Union deporting the whole ethnic Chechen population in 1944 to Siberia would have nothing to do with the current "problems" in Chechnya then, would it?

benjaminw1 said:
Its our fault

Historically, Russia’s penetration towards Turkey, Iran and India, was explained as a response to the British challenge in India. Thus, the Russian occupation of Caucasia in the nineteenth century was described as a move in the Great Game of colonial powers. However, regardless of the absence of any serious western rival power on today’s scene of action, modern Russia is still playing the same game. It toppled democratically elected leaders in Georgia and Azerbaijan in order to make these countries join the Commonwealth of Independent States. The war in Chechnya, was a logical next step in securing Russian dominance in the area; in fact it is but a repetition of a war which had raged there in the mid-19th century.
from

HISTORICAL REFLECTIONS ON THE WAR IN CHECHNYA
It is opinion and I regard it as opinion. But is the author an expert in the matter? First of all Georgia and Azerbaijan ARE members of the Commonwealth of Independent States. So qualification of the author is doubtful.

"Historically, Russia’s penetration towards Turkey, Iran and India, was explained as a response to the British challenge in India."

Absurd. Russia would penetrate towards Turkey, Iran and India anyway (even without similar British attempts).

B

benjaminw1

Mind you I have no problem with people sorting out the untermensch that perpetrate Beslan.

KGB_resident said:
First of all Chechnya is a part of Russia (unlike Iraq). As to the history of the conflict then look

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/2565049.stm

Chechnya became criminal enclave and after direct aggression there was no other solution as to restore law and order there. I hope you agree.
Your point regarding Iraq is what exactly? (execpt for attempts at shite stirring).

Iraq, even your own government has agreed, is currently experiencing its first taste of democracy in, oh, ever! I don't recall the UK PM appointing the current PM of Iraq? or maybe you have some secret info the rest of us are not privie to?

Now, it is understandable that, as a Russian you are missing Saddam, or perhaps just the USD 8 billion that Russia is stilled owed by Saddam, but what relevance is there in comparing the two?

Just a point, i find this very amussing, as i hate Chechans! use to run into them in Eastern Europe in the 90's, when they ran the mob in Prague and various other places.

However, even my own prejudice does not preclude me from pointing out to you that mother russia is slowing sufficating one of her "own".