Soldier Arrested - Netheravon Parachute Incident

I get that.

But, as I read it, she's lied about her feelings, not about anything material to the charges, nor about hubby's actions.

If the defence can get the jury to think she's a pathological lying harpy on that basis, well then - the Crown clearly hasn't hired the sharpest knives in the cutlery drawer to conduct the prosecution.

Time will tell.
Ah, I was commenting re. the BBC report that she admitted lying when describing her husband's activities, in her statement to the police:

From the BBC:

When questioned by the police in May 2015, Mrs Cilliers said Emile Cilliers had taken her parachute rig into the toilet with him at the airfield, and he was there "for about five minutes".
But on Tuesday, she told the court that he had been quicker than she had first alleged and that she "elaborated".
"I'm not saying I'm lying completely. I was angry when I made that statement and lied throughout it in order to paint Emile in a bad picture," she told the prosecution.

Story here:Soldier 'thought he would get £120k payout'

The point is not that she lied in her statement (although that is serious) but admitting to lying at all casts doubt on the prosecution case.

Last edited:
Ah, I was commenting re. the BBC report that she admitted lying when describing her husband's activities, in her statement to the police:

From the BBC:

When questioned by the police in May 2015, Mrs Cilliers said Emile Cilliers had taken her parachute rig into the toilet with him at the airfield, and he was there "for about five minutes".
But on Tuesday, she told the court that he had been quicker than she had first alleged and that she "elaborated".
"I'm not saying I'm lying completely. I was angry when I made that statement and lied throughout it in order to paint Emile in a bad picture," she told the prosecution.

Story here:Soldier 'thought he would get £120k payout'
Bloody hell. I assume the prosecutor will be conspiring to kill her now.

Reading the thread linked a couple of pages back, it's now my understanding that the line of questioning which has Victoria owning up to over-egging some of her statements to police is actually being conducted by the prosecution - presumably to diminish it, and defuse it, before the defence can start building mountains out of molehills later on.

Apparently Emile Cilliers wouldn't do anything to hurt his wife (except have multiple affairs, run up a large debt and generally act like an ********).

Parachute Sgt 'would never harm wife'

An Army sergeant accused of trying to murder his wife by tampering with her parachute has told a court he "would never" do anything to harm her. Emile Cilliers, 38, of the Royal Army Physical Training Corps, denies sabotaging Victoria Cilliers' parachute in 2015 in a bid to kill her. The prosecution alleges he planned to start a new life with his girlfriend.
Mr Cilliers denies two counts of attempted murder and causing a gas leak at the family home in Amesbury.
At Winchester Crown Court, defence barrister Elizabeth Marsh QC asked Mr Cilliers whether he had "harboured any wish to harm" his wife or children. He replied: "No. Never. I would never do anything to harm any of them."
Prosecutors allege the defendant was £22,000 in debt and believed he was set to receive a £120,000 insurance payout in the event of his wife's accidental death.

UK - Emile Cilliers accused of tampering w/ wife's parachute, Wiltshire, 5 April 2015 - Page 38

Apparently Emile Cilliers wouldn't do anything to hurt his wife (except have multiple affairs, run up a large debt and generally act like an ********).

Parachute Sgt 'would never harm wife'

An Army sergeant accused of trying to murder his wife by tampering with her parachute has told a court he "would never" do anything to harm her. Emile Cilliers, 38, of the Royal Army Physical Training Corps, denies sabotaging Victoria Cilliers' parachute in 2015 in a bid to kill her. The prosecution alleges he planned to start a new life with his girlfriend.
Mr Cilliers denies two counts of attempted murder and causing a gas leak at the family home in Amesbury.
At Winchester Crown Court, defence barrister Elizabeth Marsh QC asked Mr Cilliers whether he had "harboured any wish to harm" his wife or children. He replied: "No. Never. I would never do anything to harm any of them."
Prosecutors allege the defendant was £22,000 in debt and believed he was set to receive a £120,000 insurance payout in the event of his wife's accidental death.

UK - Emile Cilliers accused of tampering w/ wife's parachute, Wiltshire, 5 April 2015 - Page 38
There's links on P39 of Websleuths thread (link in your post), to BBC local news from the trial.

I didn't think Emile could be made to look worse than before, but I learned from the BBC's stuff, firstly that when his wife/victim was going into labour (45 minutes between contractions), he was upstairs in their home texting porky pies to one of his tarts, and secondly that the mysterious gas leak occurred a mere 6 weeks after the birth, with the child in the house with mum.

We live in the area, so have been getting the full local BBC News coverage of the trial (makes a change from the NA attack in Salisbury!).
This chap comes across as a complete and utter throbber and I hope he gets hammered when the judge hands down his sentence next month.

We live in the area, so have been getting the full local BBC News coverage of the trial (makes a change from the NA attack in Salisbury!).
This chap comes across as a complete and utter throbber and I hope he gets hammered when the judge hands down his sentence next month.
I found the reporting on how the police matched his exact mawl grips to the gas fittings, and that they had determined the fittings had been loosened due to jaw marks was pretty interesting.

Sweepstakes on sentencing? 15 yrs?

Wonder if the RSM will write off his last Mess bill?

He must have thought he would get away with it with consideration of the Steven Hilder case about 20 years ago in mind. Many jumping at the time thought that the killer got away with it.

Cilliers though sounds frankly pretty dense and the unlikely survival of his wife aside, the whole business was poorly executed, happily.

Hope he gets a long, long sentence

Sweepstakes on sentencing? 15 yrs?

Wonder if the RSM will write off his last Mess bill?
Considering that he made a determined effort to kill her twice, the effect it's had on her health and well being and the fact he didn't plead guilty when he had the chance, I think a 20 stretch would be easily come to, but whether he serves anywhere near that is probably unlikely.

Considering that he made a determined effort to kill her twice, the effect it's had on her health and well being and the fact he didn't plead guilty when he had the chance, I think a 20 stretch would be easily come to, but whether he serves anywhere near that is probably unlikely.
Two counts of attempted murder.
On different dates.
Surely that'll count badly against him.

Without making light of what happened I only hope that one day his wife will be at a party or function and someone talks about doing a parachute jump for charity and that others remark that the person is brave to do a parachute jump, at this point his wife can say 'parachute jump, you soft snowflake, I did it without a chute. That's effing nails!'