Soldier amputee loses appeal for benefit reinstatement

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bedpan2zero, Sep 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is diabolical

Bridlington amputee soldier Aron Shelton loses appeal over axed benefits

Soldier who lost leg in battle, and then saw benefits axed, horrified at losing appeal
    LIVID: Aron Shelton, has had his appeal turned down after he challenged a decision to cut his disability living allowance.

A SOLDIER who had his disability allowance axed despite losing a leg fighting for his country has lost his appeal.

Former Private Aron Shelton, 26, says he has left one battlefield to now enter another, as he appeals this latest decision at an independent tribunal.

The Bridlington resident had his left leg amputated in December 2008 after he was injured in an explosion in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, a year earlier.

After an 18-month struggle, he has learned to walk a few hundred metres with the aid of a prosthetic limb.

Although he has been told he can keep his automatic car for another six months, this week he lost his Blue Disability Badge.

Mr Shelton said: "I am horrified and livid by the decision to not reconsider my allowance, which is either £18 a month or a car.

"Pushing a trolley full of shopping is hard enough when I use my Blue Badge to park near the shop entrance.

"Without this funding, I won't be able to afford a new car and I need a reliable car.

"I don't have much faith in the Government now."

Mr Shelton's injuries were so severe it took him six months before he could take a single step unaided. Now he is able to walk up to 400 metres, but he relies on his automatic Vauxhall Astra to get around.

He did, however, want to praise locals for their support.

He said: "The general public have made me proud to be British and put a smile on my face.

"They have been very supportive."

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is not paid based on the condition someone has, but on the extra costs they may have because of their specific needs or difficulties.

A spokesperson from the Department For Work And Pensions (DWP) said: "We recognise the brave service Aron Shelton has given his country. His case has been reviewed, but we must follow the guidelines set out in legislation – a benefit award is not discretionary.

"Aron can appeal this decision at an independent tribunal if he wishes to.

"DLA is not the only support that may be available to injured personnel. All personnel injured in service are entitled to payments under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme."

Following the news, Mr Shelton is now calling on other amputees, whether they are military or civilians, who have lost money from the DWP to e-mail him at aron

He hopes to form a group to fight for more help.
  2. That's why his lost the DLA right there…

It's nothing to do with wether you have one leg, two legs or no legs, it's all to do with how far you can walk without severe pain and discomfort that forces you to stop.
  3. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Another perfect example of fucked Britain! Be an idle, sponging twat; get every benefit, hand-out going. Be an honest, (proven outstanding citizen), tax paying/paid and law abiding citizen and the RED TAPE shafts you in everyway; The computer say's no!

Bastard country this is now
  4. suprise suprise be honest up standing get fucked about.
    be lazy workshy turd get everything.
    I'd imaghine 400metres by the bloke is max effort
    not got a leg blue badge should be a ******* automatic no brainer does'nt need assesing lack of leg = disabled.
    lack of common sense well paid job in the dwp
  5. Once again we reward the idle and feckless and shaft those who make an effort.
    How sad is it that, had he not bothered to make the considerable effort to learn to walk again, undoubtedly at great pain and suffering, he would be entitled.
  6. IIRC, in previous years, the eligibility to claim DLA for disabled forces personnel, was set higher than that for civvies! In other words, it was much easier for civvies. I have no idea if this is still the current practice though.

If these are the facts, then the DWP should hang it's head in shame!!!
  7. tell that to Oscar Pistorius!

Its a complex issue, but it does seem very wrong in this case! Hope he can sort it!
  8. It's possibly got a lot to do with 'Box Ticking'. Maybe this DWP Muppet decided that the right number of boxes had not qualified for the full disability rights for Mr Shelton.

Or it could be, (all alleged of course), that the DWP Case officer was Lefty, Military Hating, Tree Hugging Bed wetting 'Graunadian' reader. But then, if the hoops ex-service personnel have to go through are set higher than the Bone Idle, Work Shy, Doley scrounging Chavs and Unter-menchs of Busted Blighty, then an 'Adverse Publicity' campaign should be mounted against the local DWP offices and it's senior management....

Attached Files:

9. WTF is that Gollumesque thing in the Burberry cap?

To think that a soldier is valued below the likes of that little rat hybrid makes my pi55 fizz.
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

FF2FO....( as I would have done if TCB had won another term) ...and don't believe everything the Daily Mail tells you.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Balls, he deserves it.
  12. Oscar Pistorius! still has'nt got any legs so can't see why the bloke can't park where he likes its a no brainer.
  13. At Headley we are informed it's gauged on your worst day. His worst day would be inability to use his prosthetic and therefore unable to walk. It doesn't matter why you can't wear the prosthetic, lads are often confined to their wheelchairs because they forget to charge them up overnight.

The problem is that most squaddies dig out blind and won't admit that they sometimes struggle or they are in pain. Another problem is that the DWP seem to have this attitude that if you are young things will get better.

The ******* put me on the middle rate of DLA, to be reviewed in 24 months, fortunately my social worker is an absolute diamond and had it squared within 2 minutes.

He should contact BLESMA, they are very good with this kind of thing.

Prepare to see more and more of this in the future, many councils and civil servants dealing with disability cases are used to people who are just old or just fat, but they know how to play the system.
  14. This little gem was sneaked it to the conditions:

People cannot be treated as being unable or virtually unable to walk if they regularly use1 or could use2 an artificial limb or aid to help with walking unless they are without both legs (see DMG 61330 - 61331). A person who can only swing through on crutches is unable to walk and so may qualify for the higher rate of mobility component

Which is not what we are told in Headley