Soldier admits assaulting recruit

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by india-juliet, May 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A soldier who hit an army recruit and made others eat dust, grass and string and lick wax has pleaded guilty to ill treatment and assault.
    Colour Sergeant Christopher Broome, 37, of Dover, Kent, admitted eight counts of ill treating a soldier and one count of battery at a court martial.

The offences took place at Sir John Moore Barracks in Winchester, Hampshire, on 25 July last year.

Colour Sgt Broome won the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross in Iraq in 2004.

He was given the award, which is second only to the Victoria Cross, when he bayonet charged Iraqi insurgents at Al Majar Al Kabir.

After the tour of duty in Iraq, he was posted to the army training regiment Sir John Moore Barracks, where the offences involving recruits taking part in basic training took place.

Colour Sgt Broome, from the 1st Battalion, the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, admitted hitting Private Simon Eikins on the head with a pace stick.

He also admitted ordering eight other recruits to eat dust or string, grass and a piece of plastic and to lick wax or boot polish off his pace stick - a stick used to measure military paces.

Christopher Hill, defending, said Colour Sgt Broome admitted with hindsight that he had ill treated the recruits and that he had been reckless when he "tapped" Pte Eikins over the head with the pace stick, causing him to need hospital treatment.

The case was adjourned for a sentencing hearing at Aldershot on Friday.

Sgt Broome is currently posted in Paderborn, Germany
  2. Tapped on the head WTF?!?
  3. didn't know messed up hair required hospitilisation but there you go... he should have worn his brylcream helmet
  4. I wonder if they will give him a bar to his cross for his stupidity under heavy intimidation from the recruits. :!:
  5. Probably with hindsight, it was not the best place to send someone who had until recently been bayoneting Iraqi insurgents at Al Majar Al Kabir

I am not saying everyone who has been to Iraq, is waking up in the middle of the night with cold shakes etc, but possibly a more appropriate posting could have been found for this guy as working with recruits obviously wont be going on his military C.V. as a successful experience.

Also considering the state of the people we receive at my unit from training he probably deserved the bar on his Gallantry Cross. As 9 out of 10 of them are pure sh1te, with no ounce of discipline, moral fibre, or honesty, in their sorry existence.

Still doesn’t give you the right to bully and kick the sh1te out of people by abusing your authority.

I propose my version. I know you will not like it. I repeat, it is only a version.

Captured Iraqis were bayoneted. The MoD covered the story, moreover, awarded alleged war criminal. Unpunished crime caused new crime and we see the result now.
  7. And you propose this on what grounds?
  8. Surely they gave the award some time after the bayonet charge?
  9. Our friend India-juliet said 'he bayonet charged Iraqi insurgents' but according to the MoD bayonets were not used in the fighting. So captured insurgents were bayoneted.
  10. Wild speculation then with no basis in reality, this isnt russia fella, things like this may happen in your army but not ours.

And this kind of abuse is a hell of a lot more common in russia, were conscripted soldiers who've been in a while are called "grandfathers" and its bassically there job to beat the new recruits in the wash room to make them do their admin for them.
  11. Mark!

Maybe it is a mistake?
  12. im talking about your comment about bayoneting captured iraqis being fiction, i know the abuse happened.

and im also saying that bullying is far worse in the russian army than over here so get your own house sorted first
  13. Do you remember this story Sergey? Slightly more serious than being forced to eat dust:

14. I remember this story pretty well. All Russian TV-channel reported about it and pres.Putin specially mentioned it as absolutely unacceptable.

But do you mean that I haven't right to make any supposition because there are too many problems in russian army? I don't see a direct connection.

Returning to the theme of the thread I think that a soldier that is able to beat and abuse his fellows is able to commit war crimes against enemies. I hope you agree this this common statement.
  15. You are quite right Sergey, but anyone is capable of war crimes when the right ingredients are added to the mix.

Whether it’s the Russian or British Army, makes no difference nor does the level of abuse, at the end of the day the person receiving the abuse does not distinguish how bad it was, it was just bad, pure and simple.