Soldier 2000 kit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Hattie_Jacques, Feb 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering, does anyone know the plan re issue of things like the new smock a la desert dpm windproof but in green etc, and ripstop trousers that don't fall apart on contact with deploying into the field - is this going to be a general issue thing, or just a deployment thing?

Another random q from HJ

2. Dunno, but lightweights are meant to be making a come-back to a QM's dept near you soon............

3. About the lightweights, is it only me that thinks it would be a good idea if they had the big canadian (I think thats what they're called) buttons?

4. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes to all of these, but long term lightweights will be replaced by a barrack dress trousers similar to service dress. The idea is to give the Army a standalone image as 95 and Future 95 is Tri service wear

The windproof smock is in development and awaiting approval.

Can’t say any more else I’ll be in the shit; this info is in the rounds. It’s all driven by the likely cost of the future field ware

5. oh come on. we all know what the MOD is like with kit. i find it highly unlikely that they will splash-out on windproofs for everyone! maybe the teeth arms at most.

S5

6. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

cost nutral net saving.

7. I thought it was utter cack that they binned barrack dress, working dress, combat dress etc.... the army has no identity of its own now and for example - during remembrance parades the cadet forces and the TA in Chesterfield march through the town with weapons but the ACF and TA always look "shocking". the ATC wear thier erm... trouser and wooly pully things and the Sea Cadets wear RN Number 1 dress and both look quite smart - the ACF and TA are in Combats (ACF in a mixture of different era's) and look, well poor for want of a better word. theres no "penache" or "smartness" to it.

Rincewind

8. Not only that, but you only had to iron Barracks Dress trousers once... they never lost their crease!!

9. But the sight of so many clerks with their trouser arrses buffed to a high shine was a little unnerving!

10. Ahhh "Shiney arrses", remember them well............

11. I still got Barrack Dress Trousers (with shiney creases), skin tight lightweights and No 2 dress trousers with belt loops does that make me unique or just an old git? :) I was going to sell them at a boot fair fell of my 1157 (I think thats the form) years ago :)

12. Got the same, only mine have refused to fall off my 1157.........

I'm not old, I have more kit than most, is how I see it......

13. It was green kit syndrome and I was in remission - you know green kit I gotta have it sort of thing - oh then of course as career progesses you actually need and are issued it. No I agree with you not old just got more histrical kit than most :)

Cheers