Solar powered propagator.

Awol

LE
Folks, I need a bit of techy advice.

My dear old dad has a greenhouse where every year he grows enough cherry tomatoes to sink Africa.

The seeds take their first little breaths in 2 x 240v/50 watt propagators, powered up to now by a diy underground cable stretching some 50 metres from his shed, across some wasteland, to his greenhouse.

This week he has received notice from the bastard neighbours that they have bought the wasteland in question and he (me) has to remove the cable.

My idea (after introducing the neighbours to my good friend Mr Molotov) is to rig up a solar panel on the roof of the greenhouse, run the power to a 12v/240v converter thingamy and then just plug the propagators into that, probably with a battery in there somewhere.

The trouble is that is as far as my knowledge goes,so I’d greatly appreciate any input as to proper layout and tech specs etc.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Folks, I need a bit of techy advice.

My dear old dad has a greenhouse where every year he grows enough cherry tomatoes to sink Africa.

The seeds take their first little breaths in 2 x 240v/50 watt propagators, powered up to now by a diy underground cable stretching some 50 metres from his shed, across some wasteland, to his greenhouse.

This week he has received notice from the bastard neighbours that they have bought the wasteland in question and he (me) has to remove the cable.

My idea (after introducing the neighbours to my good friend Mr Molotov) is to rig up a solar panel on the roof of the greenhouse, run the power to a 12v/240v converter thingamy and then just plug the propagators into that, probably with a battery in there somewhere.

The trouble is that is as far as my knowledge goes,so I’d greatly appreciate any input as to proper layout and tech specs etc.
Have you been looking after the wasteland?

tgo

Old-Salt
Some of these look interesting

--

I am just looking into this for heaters for plants, and growlights, heaters use a lot of power

Running lights is easy from solar as low amp ones are easy to get these days

I have been using nothing but solar power for everything in the house with no problems this summer, I know I need more power though, and a wind generator for dark months

Using a heated propagator running off 240v would need to be through an inverter and will waste power and a battery will not last long enough

you need to use far less than you put into the battery by the panel

The lowest cost that would probably work is this

For about £100 to £130 pounds you can get a 100W solar panel, 10A solar controller and wires from ebay, you need to add a leisure battery to this at about £80 from Halfords or similar

To run a 240v propagator off it will waste a lot of power so use a standard propagator with no heater and use a 12v pet bed heater as the heat source

They use 4 to 10 watts

amps= watts/volts

5w at 12v = .5 Ah

battery holds 118 Ah , you don't want to empty it before it charges and don't want to go below 50% of the battery

heater will run for .5 amps per hour , divide the amps in the battery by the number used per hour and these 12v pet bed heater/battery will safely run something like 110 hours with no charge going in

add the solar panel and it will probably run continuously with no problems at a 5w heater 12v even in the winter.....depends on light levels but should be fine , spring / summer should run fine

less power needed if its just on during the day though, most timers use very little

Its a lot of cost though for a propagator , its probably better to just charge the battery at home and run the pet bed heater in the propagator for heat
--

I‘d suggest that taking the propagators indoors would be a better and more reliable solution. Transplant the seedlings to the greenhouse when they are ready to get on with it unaided.

Awol

LE
Some of these look interesting

--

I am just looking into this for heaters for plants, and growlights, heaters use a lot of power

Running lights is easy from solar as low amp ones are easy to get these days

I have been using nothing but solar power for everything in the house with no problems this summer, I know I need more power though, and a wind generator for dark months

Using a heated propagator running off 240v would need to be through an inverter and will waste power and a battery will not last long enough

you need to use far less than you put into the battery by the panel

The lowest cost that would probably work is this

For about £100 to £130 pounds you can get a 100W solar panel, 10A solar controller and wires from ebay, you need to add a leisure battery to this at about £80 from Halfords or similar

To run a 240v propagator off it will waste a lot of power so use a standard propagator with no heater and use a 12v pet bed heater as the heat source

They use 4 to 10 watts

amps= watts/volts

5w at 12v = .5 Ah

battery holds 118 Ah , you don't want to empty it before it charges and don't want to go below 50% of the battery

heater will run for .5 amps per hour , divide the amps in the battery by the number used per hour and these 12v pet bed heater/battery will safely run something like 110 hours with no charge going in

add the solar panel and it will probably run continuously with no problems at a 5w heater 12v even in the winter.....depends on light levels but should be fine , spring / summer should run fine

less power needed if its just on during the day though, most timers use very little

Its a lot of cost though for a propagator , its probably better to just charge the battery at home and run the pet bed heater in the propagator for heat
--
Brilliant, thanks. What about controlling the current/pet bed temperature so I don’t roast the little seedlings?

As for your original question, get in a qualified company to install your panels, and associated control gear, you then have recourse to maintenance for many years under their guarantee.
Did you read the original post?

Dear old dad growing a few pounds of tomatoes. It is not a cannabis farm you dopey old twonk. It is a few cherry tomatoes to scoff with his sunny day salads.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Did you read the original post?

Dear old dad growing a few pounds of tomatoes. It is not a cannabis farm you dopey old twonk. It is a few cherry tomatoes to scoff with his sunny day salads.
Of course it is

Latest Threads