solar charger

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by misterp, Aug 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. right im off to a sunny place sometime soon! and ive been informed that there isn't much electricity where we are going.

a few people have suggested solar chargers. i need one that will charge an ipod, psp and maybe AA batteries

i've looked at a few and aren't too sure what they're like.

has anyone use one and make any suggestions?!

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The Silva ones are pretty good, and small, and light. I can do you a 12v charger for £69.

Edited to add: or an AA charger for £34. :D

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Freeloader is one I've got, very good as long as the sunlight is strong enough (struggles in the UK winter), does Ipod and suchlike as standard and has an AA and AAA charger adapter you can buy.

Cheaper than the Silva ones I think, about £20ish

S_R

4. If you buy the powermonkey explorer and enter 'troops' in the voucher you get them for £38.99. £30 from a shop quoting it.

5. power monkey explorer

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/webpoint/webpoint.cfm?MENUSTATE=N&SHOWMESSAGE=0&GOTOLOCATION=0&BRAND_FULL_DESCRIPTION=&FULL_RANGE=0&BRAND_NAME=&fuseaction=category&SESSION_EXPIRED=0&id_web_group_level1=7&group_level1=Gadgets_%26_Tools

at Cotswolds with 10-20% discount. Call or Email ( i don't work for Cotswolds)
    Absolutely first rate. Pretty much water and more importantly sand proof.
    Has stacks of attachments included, then you can buy more if needs be.
    Comes with attachments most of the phones, I Pod, GPS/PDA, things that charge off of USB...erm..not sure what else.
    Unit can be charged with Solar Panel (included), Mains and USB. Slots to attach to bergan/ straps etc.
    Top notch bit of kit, well well well worth 50 odd quid.

6. Is there an attachment for a 354 battery??? That would be a useful bit of kit.

7. Deal is walk into shop quote 'Troops'. Realistically flash MOD 90 and you get it for 30 notes.

8. Seriously (also not a rep for power monkey) though
    E-Mail the company (google power monkey explorer) and ask about attachments, they do bloody loads.
    Basically you charge up the "power monkey" from solar/mains/usb and it holds the charge (quite a bit) and you can charge your appliences.

9. Outstanding value :D :D :D

Cheers frenchie :wink:

I've just added that wee gem to the 'Good/bad kit suppliers' sticky

10. Just to annoy people on another thread. No drama's!. Haven't actually got one myself as it wont charge me camera but thats life.

11. my power monkey arrived today! it seems really good interesting to see how it will work in helmand

12. A brilliant no-nonsense discount. Highly recommended!!