Solar charger

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Vaughany, Feb 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I recently bought a Sony HC37 cam-corder and need a way of charging it iin the field, or alternatively somewhere at camp Heumansoord in Nijmegen. The charging tent is usually full of Americans trying to recharge their I-Pods featuring the best speeches of George W.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a solar charger that will fit UK 3 pin plugs or just plug directly in to the cam-corder
  2. Try dunno if it I'll charge it or you'll need an inverter to charge it. Wouldn't it be easyer to buy a second bty and use that? or an Inverter and rig it up to a veh bty?
  3. An Inverter is a far better way to go. One of the so-called "tin can" inverters will do the trick for you CLICKY There's some very useful figures on that page for you so you should be able to sort out your camcorder batteries.
    You may even have some spare capacity to be able to barter "power" for "Kit" :D
  4. Bit too many caveats on that one for my liking - sounds like an easy way of fcuking up your camcorder 8O

    (my bold)

    Try the inverter if you have a 12Volt supply. I got one from Maplin and it works a treat. Decent ones (like mine) will warn you when the vehicle battery is getting low so you can turn the engine on, and will actually turn off before completely flattening the battery.
  5. Inverter for a car.

    extra batteries.

    Or just take along a diesal car battery and inverter. many will come with clips.
  6. If you're doing the march I'd definately recommend a car battery as chocolate_frog says.

    In fact by using your gonk bag effectively as padding I reckon you could fit two in your bergan. Connected in parallel of course. Should be able to film the whole march! :D

  7. There is usually facilities for the support crews.
  8. Oh, thank god for that! :wink:
  9. As said by others your best bet would be an inverter from the vehicle. Just make sure you get one which matches the vehicle supply, a 12V-230V inverter like this one. will be blown if you try to run it from a 24V vehicle supply (such as you get in most military and commercial vehicles) while a 24V-230V inverter like this one won't work from a 12V vehicle supply (most cars, vans and minibuses). I've seen people have problems with both.

    Oh and make sure you don't overload it. Just because it has a three pin socket doesn't mean you can plug anything with a mains plug into it.