SOinC(A)s Conference cancelled.

Army's gone bust apparently.

Gordon may have exercised a sleight of hand in the budget this week but he doesn't seem to be able to prop up the military finances. Stuff being cancelled all over the place. Spend your budgets quick.

MrTracey said:
Army's gone bust apparently.

Gordon may have exercised a sleight of hand in the budget this week but he doesn't seem to be able to prop up the military finances. Stuff being cancelled all over the place. Spend your budgets quick.
Where did you hear that? I've just booked leave from the civvie side to attend.

Came out from SOinC today (I think)

General staff direction to cancel conferences....

Get your leave pass cancelled.

Apologies for being dim, but what is the significance of the SOinC's and IGTA and DITGA conferences being cancelled?

msr

MSR - it means that the Army's finances have become so stressed that next years budget is already known to be less than required and anything considered 'nice to have' is being, or has been, cancelled. As i understand it, this is principally to do with T&S.

If compus-mentus is seriously being asked to work unpaid (presumably he's TA - if he's regular we really are in trouble) then it sounds worse than I thought.

How we are expected to generate capability and maintain the tempo and content of training against such a background is beyond me.

Wingletang said:
If compus-mentus is seriously being asked to work unpaid (presumably he's TA - if he's regular we really are in trouble) then it sounds worse than I thought.
He's not TA. He just doesn't do very much. He makes his real money lapdancing in Chippenham...

Is there a trend?

Anyone else know of anything else being cancelled?

There appears to be NO MONEY!

So far, SOinC conf, IGTA, DIGTA, QM Convention...

MrTracey said:
Is there a trend?
Trend was also binned and quite a while ago too mate :winkrazz:

But seriously - the QM Convention binned? Is that the one that was going to be combined with the RSM's Convention next month in Blandford? and if so - can we assume the Razzers are staying home too?

E-Layer said:
MrTracey said:
Is there a trend?
Trend was also binned and quite a while ago too mate :winkrazz:

But seriously - the QM Convention binned? Is that the one that was going to be combined with the RSM's Convention next month in Blandford? and if so - can we assume the Razzers are staying home too?
Confirmed.

I got a call on Thursday asking me to give an estimate of how much it was costing the unit I'm at to send us all over. Next day I got an email saying it had been cancelled.

It looks we're to blame...... Either way, it's gone.......

Shame - godd pizz up normally...

Interceptor said:
Wingletang said:
He's not TA. He just doesn't do very much. He makes his real money lapdancing in Chippenham...
C-M Lap dancing - :pukel:

Interceptor said:
Wingletang said:
I can just imagine Interceptor slipping a tenner into Compus_Mentus' thong... (shudder)

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
All conferences are binned - Orders from Wilton, cost saving measure.

It's a fine call - do these Conferences produce outputs worth the expenditure? Some 3*s obviously feeel that, in the present financial climate, no they don't.

Correct me here where necessary. T&S is allocated in advance for a Unit to spend as it sees fit over the year. Furthermore, if a Unit fails to spend its allocated T&S allowance in a particular year then it will lose that percentage of funding the following year. Therefore, cancel as many conferences as you like, a CO will direct his money be spent sending people elsewhere in order to achieve the same allocation of funds next year. If that is the case (and if its not its fücking close), then the only saving will be on tea, coffee, nibbles and in the example of the QMs conference, colostomy bags.

Spliff-Boy said:
Correct me here where necessary. T&S is allocated in advance for a Unit to spend as it sees fit over the year. Furthermore, if a Unit fails to spend its allocated T&S allowance in a particular year then it will lose that percentage of funding the following year. Therefore, cancel as many conferences as you like, a CO will direct his money be spent sending people elsewhere in order to achieve the same allocation of funds next year. If that is the case (and if its not its fücking close), then the only saving will be on tea, coffee, nibbles and in the example of the QMs conference, colostomy bags.
I don't believe this is correct as its the very fact that we are entering a new financial year, the budgets are being trimmed now to reflect the financial situation. No conferences this year - what about next?

I wonder if this is the same across all of the Corps and Divisions? Does that mean that the RSM's conference at RMAS will be cancelled this year also? What about those 2 (NC) Sig Bde conferences at hotels in Bristol, are they getting canned too? It just goes to show that the Army is under an acute financial strain and the penny pinchers are pulling out all of the stops to cut out what they deem to be unessecary.

In our unit we have a form to justify any proposed use of transport and associated claim, it is scrutinized by two people before we can go to a meeting or a recce. I wonder if that is the same for the policy people in MOD main building. Oh well, I can understand why the NTT rate in my unit is 22%, life is being sucked out of us all, it's not just the tom's that are walking.

Thank goodness the Australian Army is recruiting!

Yaris - Well said as usual! I must say I do wonder at the value in terms of the quality of the output is achieved at some of the conferences that I have attended! That said there is nothing that can beat a face to face with ones opposite numbers in different organisations when pulling together operational or exercse plans, policy etc...

Jahsoos said:
Yaris - Well said as usual! I must say I do wonder at the value in terms of the quality of the output is achieved at some of the conferences that I have attended! That said there is nothing that can beat a face to face with ones opposite numbers in different organisations when pulling together operational or exercse plans, policy etc...
Moral and Conceptual component?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smoking_Sigs Royal Signals 32
TARE Royal Signals 9
PoisonDwarf Royal Signals 1