Soggy Patch

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Legs, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, not that type, but now I have your attention...

My garden is very soggy. As soon as it rain it turns into a lake. I have thought about drainage. I thought of digging a deep trench, putting in a 'tunnel' of strong chicken wire, covered in large stones, then smaller stones then turfed. Would this work?

Are there any plants that would love these conditions and suck up the excess water?

Any other ideas?

2. No joke, but Gunnera soak up the wet like a dipso soaks up cheap cider. Are we talking soggy lawn or soggy borders? The solution is largely location dependant.

3. At the front (South facing) it's the borders, but the lawn at the back.

4. Try growing rice.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Not unless your tunnel goes somewhere or you're up for digging down about 6 ft and doing the job right?

You can buy drainage drain stuff. Essentially, it's a pipe used in drain systems except with lots of holes in it. Dig your trench to the required depth, drop on your holy pipe and connect it up at the storm water manhole. Cover with about 8 inches of gravel and fill er in.

Job jobbed.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

a soakaway might help or burying perforated pipe as long as there is somewhere for the water to go. if its clay soil like mine then chucking sand on it to let the worms churn it up.

I've only got a little patch but every year the grass roots drown and die off

7. Land drainage pipe is cheap enough. Its yellow, 4" in diametre, comes on a roll ~ sold by the metre. How far are you from Gods country down south by the old bridge? Got loads in the barn

8. Oh dear.... South facing and still making like the Mekong might lend itself to Mallows (pretty but fast-growing shrubs). On the assumption that your back lawn is North facing, sub-surface draining is an option - as mooted by others here - but, equally, have you considered having a ground survey done? (Hippy option: bearded git dousing. Tech option: GPR and geophy.)

9. Willows love water

10. You have a garden and not land? How very urban.

Serious though, have you considered a pond?

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Flog the gaff in June then move to where sensible people have lived for the last 800 years. Defensible positions do not get wet. Do a Google on Agincourt and see the result of a soggy lawn.

12. Don't bother with a soakaway unless you pipe the water somewhere after collecting it. The idiot who lived in my house in Hants before me had a problem in that most of the back lawn flooded during medium to heavy rainfall. So he dug the entire lawn down to 2 metres, filled the hole with shingle, put 12 inches of soil back on top to bring it back to its original level and turfed it.

Net result was that the whole neighborhood drained into his back garden.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Girl came on here asking a sensible question and you had to bring up Agincourt didn't you? No wonder there's so much angst on this website.

Have you still got the Sov? I want it back at the weekend as Stavros needs a run to the lockup to shift 40,000 fags. Ta