Software Defined Radio dongle - anyone else got one?

I've been reading up on the subject of Software Defined Radio dongles, and picked one up from the big river website. I started off as a radio tech so the theory of how radios work is engraved in the bowels of my memory and when I found out I these dongles would let you listen to a big swathe of the RF spectrum I started doing my research.

I was just wondering if anyone else had bought one and whether they had any good or bad results.

I've been reading up on the subject of Software Defined Radio dongles, and picked one up from the big river website. I started off as a radio tech so the theory of how radios work is engraved in the bowels of my memory and when I found out I these dongles would let you listen to a big swathe of the RF spectrum I started doing my research.

I was just wondering if anyone else had bought one and whether they had any good or bad results.

I had to Wiki SDR - what do YOU do with it? Like what do you listen to on it?

Yes, I have several. One is used to pull ADS-B data for tracking aircraft which I then feed to various companies, and 1 I am using to pull NOAA weather sat data. Both of these are plugged into Raspberry Pi's

I have one, it only cost a few quid (from China of course).

I haven't gotten around to using it but my intention was to 'see' and record signals from Wireless door bells and key fobs.
No sinister reason, mainly experimenting out of interest and because callers around here are blind to bell pushes and prefer to thump on the door, I'm setting up a wireless knock detect (either sound or vibration), in use the receiving device will be a recordable sound module to play music or sound of choice.
But these SDRs, which usually plug into the USB of laptop/PC have such a wide wave length, the uses you can put them to are almost endless.

Even listening to the Radio ;-)

Last edited:

endure

GCM
I've got an Sdrplay which is the next step up from the dongles. 1kHz to 2GHz and start at ~£100.

I mainly use it for HF but they're used for all sorts of reception from VLF to satellites and radio astronomy.

Yes, I used to use it for listening to aircraft, and occasionally scanning for "interesting" transmissions.

However, it's been gathering dust for a couple of years since I moved house. I plan to use it, time permitting, as part of a simple radio telescope and meteor activity tracker. I've got a shedload of ARM-based processors that I could use for signal processing the results.

I had to Wiki SDR - what do YOU do with it? Like what do you listen to on it?
I'm just starting out, but airband will be the first port of call as I'm right under the flight path to the local airport. That leads to being able to decode flight data such as ADS-B and then see where it goes. I spent some time on an over-the-horizon radar project and it seems there are a few of those around, and allegedly I can use it to pick up satellite data which sounds like something I could get interested in.

Plus I can use it to monitor the local fire services if (when) we get another bushfire in the area.

I didn't have anything specific in mind, but from looking at youtube there seems to be no end of little projects you can use it for with a bit of tinkering and a little bit of cash.

Web SDR is an excellent resource but it can also be frustrating. The remote receiver may be down or propagation may be adverse. More often, there simply isn't anything located where you would like to listen.
I have a cheap RTL dongle somewhere, which was marketed for TV reception. It worked for that but my plan was to experiment with SDR software. Initially there were issues with software but it has improved since.

In the meantime, significantly better receivers such as SDRPlay, (Made in UK), have become available.

The following threads are also relevant and may be useful:
Supermatelot's Ham Radio thread https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/ham-radio.302300/
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-radios-spy-sets-radio-related-thread.268675/
Raspberry Pi, Arduino etc: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/raspberry-pis-anyone-else.268391/

Web SDR is an excellent resource but it can also be frustrating. The remote receiver may be down or propagation may be adverse. More often, there simply isn't anything located where you would like to listen.
I have a cheap RTL dongle somewhere, which was marketed for TV reception. It worked for that but my plan was to experiment with SDR software. Initially there were issues with software but it has improved since.

In the meantime, significantly better receivers such as SDRPlay, (Made in UK), have become available.

The following threads are also relevant and may be useful:
Supermatelot's Ham Radio thread https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/ham-radio.302300/
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-radios-spy-sets-radio-related-thread.268675/
Raspberry Pi, Arduino etc: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/raspberry-pis-anyone-else.268391/
Many thanks

What sort of satelites?
Any of them that transmit data to the part of the world I am in I assume (they tend to be rather directional in their data transmission), but the useful ones are those who transmit their data in a format that can be decoded. Weather satellites are the ones most commonly referred to.

hoofie

Clanker
SDRs are the slippery slope to an Amateur Radio licence and a beard .

Seriously there are lots of uses you can put them to. As usual the better the antenna the better the signal you receive. I use mine mainly to track and listen to amateur radio satellites - you can see the Doppler shift very clearly as it races towards you and then recedes.

SDRs are the slippery slope to an Amateur Radio licence and a beard .

Seriously there are lots of uses you can put them to. As usual the better the antenna the better the signal you receive. I use mine mainly to track and listen to amateur radio satellites - you can see the Doppler shift very clearly as it races towards you and then recedes.
Well I already have the beard.....

I always had an inkling to ge the licence, but cost of gear and the fact we kept moving was always on the negative side of the equation. We're reasonably settled here, the kids have left home, and cash is not the issue it used to be so maybe I will go that way. The SDR will give me the starting point to see what is available and a bit of tinkering experience

I'm just starting out, but airband will be the first port of call as I'm right under the flight path to the local airport. That leads to being able to decode flight data such as ADS-B and then see where it goes. I spent some time on an over-the-horizon radar project and it seems there are a few of those around, and allegedly I can use it to pick up satellite data which sounds like something I could get interested in.

Plus I can use it to monitor the local fire services if (when) we get another bushfire in the area.

I didn't have anything specific in mind, but from looking at youtube there seems to be no end of little projects you can use it for with a bit of tinkering and a little bit of cash.

Jindalee? I worked next door on Taranaki Road for a couple of years.

Latest Threads