Software (apps and stuff) for the Army

What’s do special about PAYS?
(assuming you meant PAYD)

Is it because there is still the belief that soldiers cannot manage the basics of life?

They can be handed a rifle and ammunition to go on the range but can’t be trusted to manage their money.
Arrangements are in place to ensure soldiers can eat all month long.
Supposedly they are too proud to use the process but aren’t too proud to borrow off their mates.

There will be soldiers who need the life lesson of discovering that their money needs to last a month, and there is the official process plus the favours of others until it becomes a regular occurrence.
The other possibility is that they buy everything on credit ending up committing their money to repayments. But there’s a whole organisation full or welfare to give all the help they need.

Is it because there is still the belief that soldiers cannot manage the basics of life?

They can be handed a rifle and ammunition to go on the range but can’t be trusted to manage their money.
Supposedly they are too proud to use the process but aren’t too proud to borrow off their mates.

There will be soldiers who need the life lesson of discovering that their money needs to last a month, and there is the official process plus the favours of others until it becomes a regular occurrence.
The other possibility is that they buy everything on credit ending up committing their money to repayments. But there’s a whole organisation full or welfare to give all the help they need.
I have to say that when I was a YO in the early '80s an awful lot of my soldiers couldn't be trusted to manage their money and I had to manage it for them!

My point had nothing to do with soldiers failing to manage their money. It was that there’s no need to get the PAYD contractor involved, amend contracts, build a special app, develop a special NFC chip or any other tech to pay for meals. The technology is already there, built in to every smart phone and every Point of Sale payment gateway.

For those who can’t manage their funds, pre-paid cards could be used, limited to use at a single provider (the PAYD provider) for a single product (the Core meal). Such a card could be issued / topped up against as an advance of pay. For those whose lack of money management stretches to owning a smartphone, the card could be loaded into the wallet.

Again, this is standard technology; my kids schools both operate a system where the kids have a restricted Visa card that has to be pre-loaded and can only be used in the school canteen.

Why do you need a bank involved? More over, why do you need an app? Or a contract change and NFC readers?

The rest of the world manages fine with Apple Pay or Google Pay and standard POS payment gateways. What’s do special about PAYD?
Whoever proposed the idea (not me) was talking about a pre-paid card that you would load early on in the month using an app. I can't see the point of doing it but to me this means storing money and probably comes with some strict regulations. Again, I don't see an app in it, just use a credit card.

So backed up by a bank then?
No. Visa is not a bank, it’s a payment processing system. A Visa card is a card that makes transactions in the Visa system. Pre-paid Visa cards can be bought and issued by all sorts of organisations, not just banks. That’s how gift cards work.

There are also any number of point of sale systems that aren’t bank owned that could be used, but that would require the contractor to adopt the gateway.

This is not rocket science; people and business make and take payments to / from each other without using an app or involving any special service form a bank all the time.

Latest Threads