Software (apps and stuff) for the Army

Animus

Old-Salt
Seems there's an app for everything nowadays, but is the military left out?

The yanks have quite a few:
- Home
- Organized Chaos

Are there any simple things an app could help with?

I've been out for 5 or so years now, but i imagine people are still signing in for their meals in the mess with pen and paper?
What about all the non-JPA stuff to with housing, vehicles, education etc?

I'm now a coder so would like to build a website/app or two to give back to the community

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Hmm...did you get on Defence Gateway before you left? Theres quite a bit there for blokes to use.
To be honest though, noone really needs an Army-wide app to tell them when to handover their quarter, which car to buy or when to get their missus to pick them up from camp. Microsoft has it sorted!

If you want to put your skills to good use, find a way of informing British Legions and Regimental Associations of blokes that have just left, and making sure that the leaver has someone to turn to for ANYTHING, during those first few years of getting out. (yes its been mentioned elsewhere)

Animus

Old-Salt
Hmm...did you get on Defence Gateway before you left? Theres quite a bit there for blokes to use.
To be honest though, noone really needs an Army-wide app to tell them when to handover their quarter, which car to buy or when to get their missus to pick them up from camp. Microsoft has it sorted!

If you want to put your skills to good use, find a way of informing British Legions and Regimental Associations of blokes that have just left, and making sure that the leaver has someone to turn to for ANYTHING, during those first few years of getting out. (yes its been mentioned elsewhere)
Thanks for the steer, although I refuse to believe Microsoft nor the Army has sorted everything!

Perhaps welfare and transition is the area to focus on but I'm open to hearing any other pain points too, no matter how small or trivial

Last edited:
We've got apps to put in Leave and Expenses now. As well as getting our pay statements via another app.

I'm still eternally hopeful we might get to an ID Card we can swipe into a base with, or pay for PAYD with where it comes off your pay statement etc but I'm not sure we are going that direction

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

I arrived at 12 Armd Wksp and quickly found myself handling a constant stream of transfers in and out. I quickly learned that there was no formal process. I very quickly created a checklist on a Xerox skin which matured into a slick and robust manual process (PAMPAS/UNICOM was rolling in as I trickle-posted out).

35 years later, there is really no excuse for this not to have been computerised by Depot.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
I arrived at 12 Armd Wksp and quickly found myself handling a constant stream of transfers in and out. I quickly learned that there was no formal process. I very quickly created a checklist on a Xerox skin which matured into a slick and robust manual process (PAMPAS/UNICOM was rolling in as I trickle-posted out).

35 years later, there is really no excuse for this not to have been computerised by Depot.
Nice one. Thats the sort of info that (with clearance) could be sent out when guys leave.
(PAMPAS...jeez ;))

Animus

Old-Salt
We've got apps to put in Leave and Expenses now. As well as getting our pay statements via another app.

I'm still eternally hopeful we might get to an ID Card we can swipe into a base with, or pay for PAYD with where it comes off your pay statement etc but I'm not sure we are going that direction

I'm interesting in the PAYD thing. How does it work for the blokes? In the orrificers mess we had to sign in for meals and then I guess someone took a note of that and it was charged. An app to sign in for meals would be a nice little project. Could also have some other features such as a message board for the mess, place to keep mess minutes etc

ID card would be too sensitive for a civvy bit of tech I think

Animus

Old-Salt
Ok thanks. Seems like something that could be solved with an app that displays a barcode which could be scanned, linked to a balance you can top up

Edit: or even linked directly to a debit card

Could be, although to be honest I'm not sure it's needed now that every dining room simply has a till that you pay at, same as any shop/restaurant. Anything more complicated than that might just overcomplicate it.

I'm interesting in the PAYD thing. How does it work for the blokes? In the orrificers mess we had to sign in for meals and then I guess someone took a note of that and it was charged. An app to sign in for meals would be a nice little project. Could also have some other features such as a message board for the mess, place to keep mess minutes etc

ID card would be too sensitive for a civvy bit of tech I think
The issue you have is the interface with the Mess staff...Sodexo etc that are generally not tech savvy. If you can bridge that gap you're onto a winner.
As an aside the RAF can pretty much do JPA one an App. They can register interest and apply for jobs online too. Army is painfully behind.

Could be, although to be honest I'm not sure it's needed now that every dining room simply has a till that you pay at, same as any shop/restaurant. Anything more complicated than that might just overcomplicate it.

On the other hand having a top up card which can be loaded up on payday may be a benefit for those that succumb to alcoholic temptation :rolleyes:

Animus

Old-Salt
Then you've got a myriad of financial regulations to adhere too, which probably cost.
Perhaps not if it were just a monthly direct debit

e.g. Gunner Bloggs has a direct debit of £100 which is paid into the app at the start of the month. It keeps a track of the balance and then this is paid to Sodexo at the end of the month

Could be a nice way of setting daily spending limits and savings goals

There would be more complex and costly charges if credit was involved but I'd probably avoid that

Perhaps not if it were just a monthly direct debit

e.g. Gunner Bloggs has a direct debit of £100 which is paid into the app at the start of the month. It keeps a track of the balance and then this is paid to Sodexo at the end of the month

Could be a nice way of setting daily spending limits and savings goals

There would be more complex and costly charges if credit was involved but I'd probably avoid that
You’ll still need a bank involved if you want to get the money into Sodexo. If you want to do something outside of a bank you’ll probably need your own infra (NFC readers) and more importantly a contract change with Sodexo. I’d look at where information is useful.

- Home
- Organized Chaos

I've been out for 5 or so years now, but i imagine people are still signing in for their meals in the mess with pen and paper?

I'm now a coder so would like to build a website/app or two to give back to the community
The two sample apps look like they exist just because they can - a time management app, and a letter posting app:
A calendar for Army families hectic live - and email that gets printed and sent.
(They claim that it cures snail mail but they have just slowed down email by 24 hours)

In messes you can still book in meals in a paper book, but you can also do it on sharepoint.
Mess minutes and newsletters are on sharepoint plus a mailing list
Vehicle bookings are still on forms, but you fill it in, click send, it arrives in their mailbox then you get a confirmation back.
SFA requests are online, fault reporting is online or via phone

JR diners have a till, so any card payment can be used. They are also managed by different contractors - not everything is Sodexo.
(Remember the FYB photos complaining about ‘Sodexo’ food on Aramark plates?)
Sodexo has a Radar app that lets me acquire points in the coffee shop, today’s menu options (for my selected site) and a few other sections including feedback.

A millionaires weekend money management app may seem like a good idea, but a super app to handle that needs to cope with every contractor, link to the bank or pay, etc otherwise it’s an organiser.
There are systems in place for soldiers who blow all their money, but as crops up on arrse they are too ‘proud’ to go into the system so borrow from mates. When it doesn’t get paid back or it happens every month it becomes the problem of the mates.
All kinds of people, not just soldiers, suddenly spend their money and discover they can’t afford to eat. In the army there is a system or their mates, outside of the army there are mum & dad
They either need to learn the lesson which many do, or need to be talked through money management. There are many sources of that already
If they are incable and need an app loaded with food money for a month then that’s already available to the public with prepaid debit cards.
For example Revolut

Sending out details of service leaders to organisations has many issues - particularly the personal information.

DInfo have coders and app writers with many apps across MoDNet and Defence Connect.

- Home
- Organized Chaos

Here -

Go nuts.

- Home
- Organized Chaos

I hope those apps don't use geo location?
GPS-based tracking apps banned for US personnel

You’ll still need a bank involved if you want to get the money into Sodexo. If you want to do something outside of a bank you’ll probably need your own infra (NFC readers) and more importantly a contract change with Sodexo. I’d look at where information is useful.
Why do you need a bank involved? More over, why do you need an app? Or a contract change and NFC readers?

The rest of the world manages fine with Apple Pay or Google Pay and standard POS payment gateways. What’s do special about PAYD?

Last edited:

Latest Threads