Softshell- any recommends?

So, before I go and buy a montane sabretooth, does anyone have any other recommendations for a softshell?

Vasco

War Hero
I bought a Haglofs Fin waistcoat off the reduced rail somewhere in Keswick simply because it was cheap - daft, really, but I like waistcoats. I have been surprised at just how good it is, because I was unimpressed with a previous Gore Windstopper jacket.

I've just had a look at the Nevisport website and the Fin is a bit cheaper (on offer) and seems to be a bit longer.

X59

LE
I've had an Arc'teryx Venta for a couple of years now.

Very good softshell, but not really good enough to justify the price tag.

Just check the properties of what you buy - a lot of stuff is sold as "softshell" these days without any real stretch or water resistance. I've had a cheapo Trespass jacket for a couple of years, mainly for knocking about town in, but last time I washed it the plastic seals on the seams are starting to come loose. Would prob buy another though - good value for what I paid,

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Decent softehell jackets tend to be a bit expensive, even so I'vemanaged to try a number of makes, 5.11 Sabre, Magnum (reviewed on site,) and others I've given away.

The best one I've had was a cheap unit bought on spec from ebay, not a lot of dosh but does everything it says on the box. I'm fuffed to chuck with it.
Two front pockets, two upper arm pockets & a small one on the left forearm. A decent adjustable hood with peak & underarm zips for ventilation.
My only quibble, and it's really nitpicking, is the hood doesn't roll away quite as neatly as some other makes, but then I didn't get it as a fashion item.

I contacted the seller who was very helpful & they had a non-warry grey one for about thirty-one quid delivered.
Sorted.
Used it in the rain with no problems, though I've sensibly avoided wandering about in a downpour for several hours. If you need more waterproofing they've also got what they term a hardshell jacket, it's more expensive but at about forty-two quid delivered it's not really going to break the bank.
Even if you end up giving it away if it's not exactly what you're after, it's still a cheaper trial than buying one from the bigger companies and deciding you've spunked your hard-earned on something that you're unhappy with.

Auction can be found here.
Or here if you're going to splash out on the dear one - and never mind the doris, you could get yourself a jacket too.

Otherwise pm me for the company's direct e-mail address, they sometimes give a better price when buying directly.

Last edited:

X59

LE
Not entirely convinced about the merits of a softshell.

Too hot to wear on the move, not warm enough when you're static.

Even top of the range examples like the Arc'teryx Venta aren't as waterproof as claimed, and less effective than a cheap gore tex hardshell.

Conceived (I think) as a showerproof, wind blocking fleece, but has evolved into a very costly 'do everything', which it does - badly.

If you really want one, follow Cutaways lead, save yourself some dosh, and buy a softshell that you're less likely to get precious about, and judge for yourself.

Softshells, excellent to wear to the pub. Good on the hills for a not-particularly demanding walk in a shower/cold/windy conditions.

They are the iPad of functionality - too warm for a warm day, to cold for a cold day, only for when you are able to be "just right" (iPad being for when a laptop is too big, a phone being too small, such as sat on a sofa and wanting to google stuff on the tv etc.

That said, The North Face Apex series is smart, well cut and some great deals are found on the web

I have one from Decathlon which has been excellent for wind and rain, but a little on the chilly side. It was only £22 in a sale, and is defo a summer only job.

Much better for my working lifestyle is the one I bought at my local builder's merchant Travis Perkins, where I have an account, but you can purchase this for the same price with cash as it's currently on a promotion.
£25 + vat

Softshells, excellent to wear to the pub. Good on the hills for a not-particularly demanding walk in a shower/cold/windy conditions.

They are the iPad of functionality - too warm for a warm day, to cold for a cold day, only for when you are able to be "just right" (iPad being for when a laptop is too big, a phone being too small, such as sat on a sofa and wanting to google stuff on the tv etc.

That said, The North Face Apex series is smart, well cut and some great deals are found on the web
I've a North Face Apex and agree it's a smart all rounder for commuting but not ideal for hillwalking or when the weather turns for the worst, my Rab VR lite pertex which I use more than the North Face more arduous inclement weather tasks.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I made the mistake of buying a Lowe Alpine jacket , i didnt really think about how breathable it is .Absolutely useless , its almost rubberrised on the outside so you break into a sweat around sainsburys . I cant think for the life what use it has or what its designed for .

I just got issued an arc'teryx leaf bravo soft shell. It's really good with some nice design touches.

Glad I didn't have to pay for it though, they're well exy.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I was given a "green" (according to the label but really a dull coyote.... ) Brit issue ( mate who 'gave' it to me for £25 told me) softshell which is Arcteryx on the hanging label but nowhere else and says "supplied by Vertx" on another label.

Good jacket with 2 vert chest pockets, 2 hip angled pockets and 2 long side zippers that go up to mid chest from bottom hem. No hood. Very stretchy material with fleecy inner material. Side zippers seem redundant on a full zip jacket like this one.

No arm pockets or velcro so looks totally civvy.

Seems ok for heading to the pub , walking the dog and hiking in cooler temps. Well, for £25 it is :)