Soft-shell jackets

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Sarastro, Sep 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

On H11 I saw some blokes wearing trial issue soft-shell jackets: they were mostly light windproof / warmers kit but not waterproofs. Very good kit for a winter tour, more comfortable, lighter and less baggy than an issued smock, and easier to vent. Looked something like this Webtex piece below, except they came in olive green and desert plain colour:

Having had the standard experience with Webtex before, not too keen on buying their version. Does anyone know if the trial issued versions I saw are on sale from civvy outlets, of any military-specific similar makes which are for sale anywhere?

EDIT: the ones I saw out in theatre were identifible by having the velcro badge attachments on the right (and possibly left, can't remember) arm, and zip pockets on the left (and possibly right) arm for access when wearing body armour.

2. There are several versions kicking about, 5.11 make one type, the Danish had some good ones, lot of bodz just got their own before they went.

Mate in the RAF had an issue top that looks identical to the one pictured - will see if he can find out any more info.

TBH if you go for a 'military' version you'll pay for that whether it is actually up to military spec or not - I normally just grab something cheap, army colouredish and 'disposable' have a look at something like this one here - cheap and will probably last a 6 month holiday.
  3. "There is nothing quite like a warm snug fit jacket that can bare any weather condition, and nobody has more experience then Dare2Be. Quality guaranteed, Dare2Be promises to give the ultimate satisfaction with their products which allows you to walk around knowing that only the best can look this good!"

You've got to love kit with spelling mistakes in the product description!
  4. Sarastro

That is almost exactly like the ones I saw, minus the velcro pads (which I'm sure get modded on). Only problem is that they are in the wrong fecking colour - anyone sween those for sale in desert / olive plain?

Cheers for the help so far, slowly targeting in on it.
  5. That looks similar to a North Face jacket I own. It stops the wind and can put up with a light shower, but it's not particularly warm.

It wouldn't be an effective part of the layering system as the combat jacket already provides these capabilities.

I think a buffalo jacket would be better.
  6. Is it warm as well?
  7. Sarastro

Blobmeister, you're a star! Got it - not the one you linked, but this one from the same site:

Goddamn snip at £50 as well, thank you!
  8. If you're asking about the Keela, yes almost as warm (warmer in a windy conditions) as my beloved helly hansen field jacket.

9. Like that myself. Largest size shown is 44in chest, doubt it would fit.
  10. So anyone have a link to a supplier of this one or know the maker's name ?

I have no personal experience of Helikon but several friends have them and swear by them. Certainly great value compared to North Face, ArcTeryx and Patagonia ........