Soft carry on luggage

S

syledis

I usually use a samsonite case for travelling to / from work but we have been told from now on its soft luggage only due to space
restrictions etc.

Can anyone recommend a good soft backpack style carry on bag with lots of pockets, robust, padded for a laptop etc.

S

syledis

Out of interest which airline is stating that you can't take Hard cabin luggage ??

Its not an airline, its my company as we have space restrictions on choppers and small aircraft so we need to be able to squash luggage in, hence no hard luggage from now on

Its not an airline, its my company as we have space restrictions on choppers and small aircraft so we need to be able to squash luggage in, hence no hard luggage from now on
I see .... I just use my Medium sized North face bag for travelling offshore , 10kgs and there's plenty of room but no extra pockets ! Bloody things bomb proof as its been all over the world but a bit ££££ !

Amazon.com: SwissGear Computer Backpack: Electronics

Swiss gear back pack, bloody brilliant and so far the only one that has lasted more than 6 months.

Only drawback is that things tend to settle in it so it can go a bit pear shaped, (looking from the side,) which can make shoving it in overhead lockers a bit dificult.

Otherwise 5 mushroom heads.

Cheers
Gadge

The one I linked to are done in black.

I keep a lookout for the sort of bag you're after and have always failed to find one that matches my requirements in luggage shops. I have two laptop rucksacks that I'm quite happy with. One's a TechAir, the other's a Bizbag - both bought from a street stall on Gt Portland Street, London and each cost £15 or less - admittedly one is 10 years old and the other about 5 years old.

Both are multi-compartment. The Techair has a very well padded laptop section but the Bizbag (the elder of the two) wins, having elastics in the clothing compartment, a second expanding compartment (which, when expanded, causes the bag to exceed the airport sizing box but means that you can get your duty-frees into the bag after you've checked in) and tensioning straps on the sides.

No images of either on the interweb, so save the bother looking. Just pointing out that there's some good stuff in the most unlikely looking places.

Buy a Wenger rucsac and you won't go wrong. I've used mine daily for the past year or so, with a lot of travel in uncomfortable places, and it hasn't aged perceptibly. The strap/bag interface is still complete and the zips are excellent. Cheaper kit will die on you at the wrong time, and this won't. It has all the right spaces for the various bits you carry with you.