Soest: Today

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Lightning, Jul 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm over here checking the old place out. I took some pics, and uploaded them - - there.

Feel free to steal any that take your fancy. The password is soest1

One thing that's really pissed me off - "Zum Lohner Eck" is no longer a pub. Some bugger's living there.

And the B1 is a quiet road now, what with all the Autobahns around the place now. Dortmund/Kassell was it when I was there.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. You got your password for the album please mate?
  3. Edited my original post, Flash. But soest1, anyway
  4. Blacky mentioned a few places, but I know nothing of them. But here's what Blacky said:

5. great photo's, the memories came flooding back.
    Nice to see you can now get a beer in the Guardroom.
  6. More added this evening. Nothing exciting. Just a couple of old dams, and a pub that isn't.
  7. I remember Soest when it was run by the Canadians,had a whale if a time in their PX.
  8. Fcuk me, can't beleive the state of Block 52 now!!

The one man bunk on the left (thats now been concreted up) used to be John GR's bunk and the one on the right was mine. Some good p1ss ups had there.

The bloody Mohne looks a lot scarier than I remember as well. Amazing how youth and 12 hours drinking down town would make you invincible enough to jump off the fecker (the straight side, not the curved side!) at 7 in the morning.

Am over there in October en route to the beer fest. Got to have a beer in the old guardroom just to see if I can have the pleasure of sinking a Herfy in the exact spot where I was incarcerated on 3 seperate occassions during my 5 years there (all due, funnily enough, to Yellow Handbags, Wobbly and Grolsch). Through the old front door, past the desk on the right, through the next door, turn right and there was my rather small bedroom for a while :)
  9. Thanks for posting the pictures Lightning. Hammersmith Barracks are still the same as I remember them from 1958 and very good to see them again.
    I was also at Iserlohn for a while, so the pictures of Soest rang some bells regarding the Canadians,
  10. When I was first posted to Soest the Eck was closed waiting for new management. We became very friendly with the new team of Hannes and Irina.

On our way to Bad Sassendorf as it was a closed day at the Eck and there was a private party was in full swing. The window came open and Hannes asked where we were going. We said well you are closed. His reply was "We are never closed for you".

On telling the locals we were off to Ireland in '75 they offered to hide us!!!!!
    On our return we never bought a drink all night.

Now I feel like an orphan, tell me it hasn't really closed.
  11. That says I should know you !!

When I started drinking there it was run by Stuart (an ex-REME man from 5FW, iirc) and his lovely wife Brigitte, a local lass.

When Hannes and Irene took over Larry (my bud) and I carried on as before, which meant that we were there most nights. Forgoing the pleasures of the cookhouse for the much nicer stuff available at the Eck. And Hannes and Irene were the nicest hosts you could wish for.

I was touched when he insisted that we use "du" rather than "sie" when addressing him.

Who are you, then ? :)
  12. Oh, and there's a gate across the way to the door. It's closed alright. :(
  13. andy. "Little old wine drinker me"

Just dug out a photo of Hannes behind the bar and another of Irene posing outside, just by the door. If I could post them I would.

I remember walking down to the Eck on a dark and stormy night not a German stirred from their home. We played dice with Hannes all night for beers and he never won once. We drank for for free and he ran us back in his BMW at the end of the session.

Getting a lift back to camp when we were the last men standing was not uncommon. Top man never forgotten.