Builds SOE Halifax

baseboard for the Halifax, more on this in just a moment...

as I mentioned earlier I'm making this model of Wing Co Ratcliffe's Halifax, used to parachute SOE operatives and supplies into occupied Europe, for the Tangmere aviation Museum, the base board will shortly become the diorama base of a countryside, moonlite river and a tiny boathouse, painted in shades of grey to represent what we've all seen, low flying at night, even if it's just the final approach to Brize, I'm not putting lights, LEDs in the building, lets say they are all observing the blackout Right, let's get stuck in, where's that plaster?

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

as I mentioned earlier I'm making this model of Wing Co Ratcliffe's Halifax, used to parachute SOE operatives and supplies into occupied Europe, for the Tangmere aviation Museum, the base board will shortly become the diorama base of a countryside, moonlite river and a tiny boathouse, painted in shades of grey to represent what we've all seen, low flying at night, even if it's just the final approach to Brize, I'm not putting lights, LEDs in the building, lets say they are all observing the blackout Right, let's get stuck in, where's that plaster?
What colour is the door on the boathouse going to be?

On your finger :)

Is it supposed to be sans unit markings?
Was that an SOE thing?

Is it supposed to be sans unit markings?
Was that an SOE thing?
CR you are way ahead of the game, the markings aren't finished yet, I had to get the museum curator to look through Ratcliffe's log book to get the tail number, I've now got to print it up as a home made decal.
more to come later, when I've made a little progress from a bare wooden board and an unmarked plane.

CR you are way ahead of the game, the markings aren't finished yet, I had to get the museum curator to look through Ratcliffe's log book to get the tail number, I've now got to print it up as a home made decal.
more to come later, when I've made a little progress from a bare wooden board and an unmarked plane.
Ta, thanks.
My curiosity was aroused as I am currently reading an SR71 book, where they write about some of the Blackbirds and U2s having either no, or fictitious, markings.

I use the varnishes ..... they do need to be thinned.......................... a lot, and I mean a lot, the matt dries very quickly, the gloss takes a lot longer.....and I tend to cock it up with it going lumpy at times, I'm still trying to find the best balance of thinner and pressure - never used the decal set, that's on the list of things to try when the current bottle runs out
cheers Daz, I was over Tangmere the other day, collecting the fuselage number of the Halifax, while I was there I took a good look at what aircraft paint shines like, it's not high gloss and it's not totally matt, it's somewhere in between, so I've purchased the satin Varnish from the range above, it's good to varnish over decals anyway, it stabilises them.

I was going to place this annotation inside the glass case with the Halifax until I spotted my grammatical mistakes, and I've spelt lit lite, blast it. Damn my illiteracy

completed the Hadley Page Halifax for Tangmere Aviation Museum,took it in today and they are very pleased with it, as I am, looks good in the Wing Commander Ratcliff display.

completed the Hadley Page Halifax for Tangmere Aviation Museum,took it in today and they are very pleased with it, as I am, looks good in the Wing Commander Ratcliff display.

Now that display looks right at home, take a bow @SPROCKET321

Works for me, I'm away on a course for a week this month, the joys of sunny Bradford :( So I should of picked everything up I need by then, handy there's the Tangmere Model Show this weekend :)
make sure you check out the Halifax I made for them at Tangmere.

so some experimenting, using cardboard cut from a beer carton to make a curved surface scribe guide secured underneath with tape, using an old alternative nose for the Halifax from the spares box.