Soddit mode

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I dont know if any arrsers have got soddit at all , well i'm 67 and for months now instead of figuring " do I need it ?" when buying stuff I tend to review it a bit then if I still fancy it Soddit and buy it . If I had saved my dosh during lockdown I d have a wee bit of a stash .

However today I decided to buy a Royal Anglian flag ( for breakfast club) , a chest pouch to carry my phone and keys ,( my back wont take a back pack as I got Spondulitus.) Then I bought a wee Bosch power spray coz I cant be Arrsed to even try to repair the old one which I 've had for ten years, it sprays water out from everywhere but the nozzles .

Gone from being careful to dont give a monkeys figuring that if i'm lucky i've got ten years left so a lot of stuff I'm buying is on the basis of " Soddit, it will see me out ."

Is it me ?

Just stopped me self from buying a new car in the last few weeks as mine is 10 years old but only has 37k on the clock 18 of which were on it when I bought it .

I dont know if any arrsers have got soddit at all , well i'm 67 and for months now instead of figuring " do I need it ?" when buying stuff I tend to review it a bit then if I still fancy it Soddit and buy it . If I had saved my dosh during lockdown I d have a wee bit of a stash .

However today I decided to buy a Royal Anglian flag ( for breakfast club) , a chest pouch to carry my phone and keys ,( my back wont take a back pack as I got Spondulitus.) Then I bought a wee Bosch power spray coz I cant be Arrsed to even try to repair the old one which I 've had for ten years, it sprays water out from everywhere but the nozzles .

Gone from being careful to dont give a monkeys figuring that if i'm lucky i've got ten years left so a lot of stuff I'm buying is on the basis of " Soddit, it will see me out ."

Is it me ?

Just stopped me self from buying a new car in the last few weeks as mine is 10 years old but only has 37k on the clock 18 of which were on it when I bought it .
I've gone the other way. Working in a Bank, I'm acutely aware that my job may be precarious through a recession, so I'm currently being tighter than a Scotsman's sporran, the day before pay day, when it's his round.

I have savings, but intend to use them on a new house rather than unemployment.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
i have a mortgage free house dont owe anyone a penny. Not Rich but just comfortable have ALL I need but now gone mental on buying stuff I want . ole age . huh

i have a mortgage free house dont owe anyone a penny. Not Rich but just comfortable have ALL I need but now gone mental on buying stuff I want . ole age . huh
Breakfast and a pint in Weatherspoons tomorrow ?

i have a mortgage free house
Lucky - but through hard work over your lifetime, no doubt.

I, unfortunately, owe a few hundred thousand on the Mortgage - but am clearing it as fast as I can! I have time on my side, being mid-30's.

Pretty much in the same situation, at 71 I have been a soddit for quite a while. If I want it I just buy it, looking at a pretty top of the range drone, although the last one I had was a pretty cheap and cheerful model which decided to ferk off from the beach, last seen heading for Holland.

Is it me ?

Wrong attitude old mate, I'm 70 at 67 a new car, at 69 a new mobile, ( with big number buttons) also blew the kids inheritance on a new kitchen for her indoors, and she's 65, on the assumption that my parents are both still alive, and my relatives all karked it well into their 90's, one was 101 when he checked out. Its now after 50+ years down the salt mines that you can with impunity give it the beans, bollox to the world, do what you want, when you want, where you want,. keeping up with trends and fancies I leave to the young and impressionable. As for gizmos and gadgets, buy what you need for the job, if it lasts good, if not, buy another.

As for your motor, any car over 10 years old is un-saleable to a Dealer, but a good little runner for a first time driver teenager. My girls learnt their road craft on old cars.

As for flags, I have a 7mtr pole in the garden, with a selection of flags , the neighbours think its brilliant.
You have about 20 years left on a good day, don't waste them, give it all you have got. if anybody doesn't like it, tough, its their problem.

You are now at the age of invisibility, nobody sees you when out and about, you have become just another wrinkly on the bus, an old bloke, what they don't see, is years of experience and accumulated knowledge, you are now an elder of the parish.

Go for it, and fcuk em!

Last edited:
I’m saving close on a grand a month and still have enough for the little luxuries. Like the OP I believe that life is too short not to. The house is paid off, the pensions should ensure that Mrs D will be ok once the Reaper has found the bit of paper with my name on it (or The Emperor pulls a blinder). I run my car on decent fuel (even before lockdown) and am happy to engage Soddit mode as the new Driver (golf bat thingy) arriving tomorrow and the new flashgun I picked up last month will demonstrate

Is it me ?

I think the government may have caught the soddit all lurgy as well. Or possibly they have a secret magic money tree We dont know about... ;)

It's threads like this that make me realise that at 38 and still serving I'm quite the young pup on ARRSE! Myself and the Mrs don't want kids though and with both of us being on reasonably good incomes I too think sod it and buy things I want. My dad died at 57 and his dad around the same age so I just think sod it, enjoy life while I still have it.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Pretty much in the same situation, at 71 I have been a soddit for quite a while. If I want it I just buy it, looking at a pretty top of the range drone, although the last one I had was a pretty cheap and cheerful model which decided to ferk off from the beach, last seen heading for Holland.
thats made my day bro. thanks :D

RBMK

Old-Salt
I have a 3 years before I can retire, basically to see the kids through university without having to dig into savings. They will come out with tuition fees but no other debts.

I've started not to give a shit about work these days in the main because I know I can earn enough to get by on until I choose to stop. House is mortgage free and we plan to downsize in a few years. I'm also hacked off with the number of idiot customers coming through recently.

I've started to get my own small business on the go which I will use to work only for people I want to work for. I have all the material posessions I care for and will soon start on my ambition to build a big (18' x 18') model railway running round the walls of the workshop in 009 narrow gauge.

I've worked without a break for 38 years and it's time for some time for me.

Wrong assumption, its Upper middle age, or older aged, or recycled teenager, beacause from the neck up, you are mentally 21, again, its the bits below that are heading south, failing, broken, ceased up, dropping off.

If you think old age, your mental calculation's will assume the same, think as you did as a younger man, with the bonus of years of experience's to fall back on, if needed. When out and about and confronted by a gang of pissed up chavs, don't think" FFS what is the world coming to" Think "Fcuk this, about turn and walk away" No points being a hero, anyway your arthritic knees, and pot belly, are somewhat of a hindrance. Act your age, not your hat size. It works both ways. Must go, her indoors wants some shopping done, and as its a nice day, its baggy shorts, a Fred Flintstone T shirt, & sandals ( No socks) Ok, so I look a bit of a mess, who gives a Fcuk!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I love threads like this in Arrse. I think somebody should print it out and hand to doley's just to show then what work can bring. I don't have much money, but I do have a comfortable lifestyle.

My only real regret is one I can do absolutely nothing about - I have no grandchildren. My daughter and her hubby can't have kids, which they knew before getting hitched and my son is a confirmed batchelor. Nowt I can do so just enjoy what I can, when I can and as often as I want.

Life is pretty good - touch wood! :)

my son is a confirmed batchelor.
"Confirmed bachelors" can have kids - I know of two couples (1 x pair confirmed bachelor, 1 x pair confirmed bachelorettes) who have adopted children and are very happy famalies.

SWMBO & I are systematically working our way through our loft following around 40/45 years of Soddit.
WTF we thought we needed holiday cases on wheels for, or canteens of silver cutlery, or boxes of unused Edinburgh crystal, collections of Lilliput 'kin Lane cottages, Denby ( plural) dinner sets, silk scarves, Caithness glass every-ferkin-thing...not to mention around (I not kid) probably 2000 plus motor magazines collected over 50 years, bits of Ford 2.8i Capri, bits of Monza 3 ltrs, Oh, and our son's Pedigree pram..plus buggy as said pram was never used. Ah...two tents....etc.
Did I mention 3 (probably fake Chinese rugs?
Somehow, we had enough left over to feed our 1 and only.

Same position as some on here.
I'm ok money wise but I just cant be arsed to motivate myself. I bought a motor home a few years back to assist my fishing habit.but I just say ach I'll go next week.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
IBM and Army pensions invoked when I was forcibly retired five years ago. Coupled with the half (no more than half, but better than subsequent tranches, and a world better than had I been retired at 63 with nothing) decent payoffout, of which having cleared debts, I still have a five figure sum and am running very, very close to break even, I am under no pressure, but I can't afford to be reckless.

I'm in the throes of invoking a third, small industrial pension next month at age 65. It's only worth about £100/ month before tax but it will certainly tip the scales.

And next year, State Retirement applies.

Last edited:

theinventor

Old-Salt
I'm a relative youngster at 52 but am definitely getting into the soddit mode. Been on furlough since Easter and now being offered 8 mths pay to f#%* off and work somewhere else.
Soddit I'll take that and sit out the recession, look for a job in the spring.

Latest Threads