Sod The Cheeky Train Drivers on 55K. Youngsters Need This!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by rgjbloke, Nov 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the news today, there are 1.016M youngsters between 16 and 24 out of work. So let's get the little buggers working in supermarkets and what have you foc to those supermarkets.

This is in the Guardian. Here's the link to the complete story: Young jobseekers told to work without pay or lose unemployment benefits | Society | guardian.co.uk

Young jobseekers told to work without pay or lose unemployment benefits

Britain's young unemployed are being sent to work for supermarkets and budget stores for up to two months for no pay and no guarantee of a job, the Guardian can reveal.

Under the government's work experience programme young jobseekers are exempted from national minimum wage laws for up to eight weeks and are being offered placements in Tesco, Poundland, Argos, Sainsbury's and a multitude of other big name businesses.

Frankly, if this is what this government mean by the private sector will pick up the slack in the jobs market caused by slashed public spending, god help those looking for work!

2. Cor, must be awful for them. Having to work in order to be given money, how ever will they cope?

• Like Like x 4
  3. In many cases, they now work and are given NO money.
    There are no jobs, companies are taking on 'interns' who hope that they'll be offered work at the end of that time or the work experience will be valuable.

4. I see your point, but whilst this is in place it offers businesses free labour whilst the government/taxpayer has to foot the bill.
    I`ve just had an interview for a job but the employer wants to organise a work trial ie: he gets a few weeks work out of me while I still receive dole money, to check if I`d be suitable for the position, a good idea in theory.. When I told my adviser about the potential employment this morning I thought she`d be over the moon, but the first thing she asked was 'does the employer look trustworthy ?'. Apparently employers have been using the work trial scheme if they have a job which will take two to three weeks and no longer. The employer gets the revenue from the job without having to pay wages, and with no prospect of permanent employment in the offing the 'employee' is back signing on in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'd rather work for free, and get some dole money than have a big **** off empty space on my CV.

You can also walk into an interview and state that you've been working for free (which incidentally is what helped me get my 1st job post Army) which will look uber keen of you.

6. And during that time incidents of shoplifting went through the roof.

7. No Jobs? Really? So how did my 24 year old boy get a Digital Media recruitment job in London a fortnight after coming back from four months in the Far East then? And that is with a fairly standard History degree from an ex poly, and with only bar/waiter work experience.

It's called extracting the digit and getting on your bike.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I'm with slick on this one, i have a nasty feeling that the stores doing this are taking the goverment for a ride if the goverments footing the bill and they get tempory shelf stackers how are the firms encouraged to take on these people unless they are truley exceptional as they can just have another person on work experiance.
    Its a change from just a few years ago though a friend of mine was job hunting and kept being turned down on experiance, so she started volunteering at a charity shop to get experiance however their was a fine line to it only a handful of hours a week or they'd stop her job seekers cash.

9. Oh ye of little faith in the quality and honesty of our youth,,,, our future!

10. Point taken, I`ve done a fair bit of voluntary work for various charities whilst unemployed, just so I don`t have a bloody great empty space on my cv.
    But there is a fine line between private companies using the system to check if an individual is suitable for the position, and using the benefits system to subsidise wage bills.
    Public bodies however would be a different thing altogether, as something like the NHS is owned by the state then why haven`t they used this to their advantage ?

11. Thats called living in london, i cant be arsed to google how many cretins live there, but something tells me its far far more than here, there are about 12 houses in 12 square miles, its all about where you live!!! so, on yer bike!

12. They are being given money - by the government!

At the end of the day, we need to increase productivity in order to get the economy back on track - at least this way the government pays the same but the economy benefits. I had a similar idea the other day that the government should be prepared to subsidise jobs in the short-term, up to the cost of providing the unemployment benefit.

13. How exactly does this differ from labours new deal.

Unemployed were farmed out to private companys to work 37 hours a week for £10 more than their dole money.
    Then at the end of their program they were sent home to make way for the next intern.

14. Yeah cos firms like Tesco's are so hard strapped for cash, this free labour keeps them surviving.

"Tesco has reported full-year profits before tax of £3.54bn, up 11.3% from a year ago, buoyed by growth in Asia."

Here's a link to that report: BBC News - Tesco profit up on strong growth in Asia

• Like Like x 1
  15. And this just in the run up to Christmas? Call me cynical, but 8 weeks will just about cover the Chrimbo rush and start of the winter sales season!