SOCs and their obsolescence

As I understood it. Whole swathes of SOCs were allegedly rendered defunct by the introduction of Bowman and Data transmission.

Since I'm still under the impression that Data transmission is a busted flush. How are orders to be transmitted over a net now ? Or has data truly been cracked and is now working anywhere in the world ?

Data when it works and is set up properly, the old fashioned way when it doesn't.

I got out a couple of years ago and Batco/SOCs were still being taught as a backup at the RS wing in Warminster (Infantry) and I imagine that's still the case now, Bowman is far from squaddie proof and it's good to have something to fall back on.

Interesting. I've yet to see Data actually work and that's with 6 months on Ops in 2011-12 having a long slow run up and plenty of RS suppport

SOCs work just fine over BOWMAN in that they provide a solid template/format thereby reducing the chance of the old 'send two and fourpence ... etc' scenario.

Interesting. I've yet to see Data actually work and that's with 6 months on Ops in 2011-12 having a long slow run up and plenty of RS suppport
Heretic - burn him :)

Data was an unbelievable pain in the hoop and was still a bit hit and miss when I left, made going to CAST a bit pointless as a sub unit, I hope things have improved since.

Bowman Data works just fine as long as the plan is correct! G3 staff need to fully inform G6 of their big hand small map stuff and this will enable the plan to be formulated. Then individual BG BSMs and RSWOs need to engage with the Bn 2ic, Ops Offr, and CO etc so that they are fully aware of how the BG is going to operate on the forthcoming Ex/Op.

I have deployed on numerous exercises/operations and had Bowman HCDR working to enable the Bde Comd and his staff to send OpOs, FRAGOs etc down to BG level.

Bowman works just fine in CAST and back in 2006 we even had a Div HCDR net and a Bde HCDR net.

So Data works fine in CAST ? I should f**king hope so as it''s all fake ;-)

Does it really work out on the ground reliably ?

Data is only fake in CAST inside the building as they use BOAT to interface with the ABACUS computers that Raytheon use for the scenarios, but if you put your Bde/BG HQ outside (as it was supposed to be) then the radios are very real!

Bowman data works fine on the ground.

Latest Threads