Socks

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by the_beer_man, Mar 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, possibly the dumbest question I've ever asked but:

Do the issue black socks have a shelf life? (issued to me in 2003).

2. Yep. When you can see the shelf through the holes, it's time to mag to grid.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Oh my days, seriously???

Do they smell of eggs? no? Then they should be ok to eat!

4. You're ex RGJ eh?

5. If you really must use issue socks then exchange them when they are worn out.

Or, if you dont wear them often enough then wear them out manually, a tin of beans in the heel and the vigerous application of a scotchbrite usually does the trick.

6. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I don't know about a shelf life but I once shared a room with a bloke whose socks had devloped into a new life form. But I suppose we've all done that.

7. Of course they have a shelf life. When was the last time you saw a fossilised dinosaur sock?
    Thats right, never.
    QEbleedingD!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hail Cretinia-long live Cretins-long live the black sock secret society. .

9. HHH

HHH LE

That's a hard one to answer.

We would need to know all the other dumb questions you have asked, in order to judge how dumb this one is !

10. Are they no longer absorbent ?

11. Are they 100% wool? How have they been stored?

Yes. They will have a certain shelf life depending on the conditions they have been stored under.

12. Are they on their last legs?

13. The quartermaster sergeant is wise to that trick. It's OK to request a replacement issue if your kit is damaged through FWT (fair wear & tear) but he'll spot a pair 'artificially aged" and you'll be on a charge for destroying Army property. ;-) :p (We blanket stackers aren't stupid you know.)

[​IMG]

14. Very good.

Ok, dumb question. I think I may have been subject to a sneaky wah by someone. I shall hang my head in shame.