Sock accounts; whats the position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a sock account banned for "Rules violations", the violated rule seemingly a ban on sock accounts.

I know at least one Mod has a downer on them but I've not seen mention of this rule and A N Other Mod has said there isn't such a rule.

The account in question had one post this year and I used it as a placeholder in longer threads such as the Ajax / CR2 thread. The ban is a total access ban, not just a posting ban. I can't see anything via that account.

First world problem I know but what's the position?

I've had a sock account banned for "Rules violations", the violated rule seemingly a ban on sock accounts.

I know at least one Mod has a downer on them but I've not seen mention of this rule and A N Other Mod has said there isn't such a rule.

The account in question had one post this year and I used it as a placeholder in longer threads such as the Ajax / CR2 thread. The ban is a total access ban, not just a posting ban. I can't see anything via that account.

One of mine from yonks ago had some sort of worm put on it, it takes about three days to login.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sock/alternate account - weak and annoying but fine by me.

Sock to get around ROPs - banned.

^My understanding.

^My understanding.
Makes sense.

It was during one of the few periods I wasn't on ROPs / I am never ever ever on ROPs being a Mod favourite.

Depending on your POV.

IIRC there was a ban on "lookalike" accounts?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT

^My understanding.

Exactly my sentiments too.

A lot of us have sock accounts. They can be useful for bookmarking particular threads you're keeping an eye on as well as allowing a more "playful" of less professional account to contribute in the more relaxed forums.

The problem comes when a member uses that account to circumvent the RoP sanctions.

So long as that's not the case I see no reason to ban it.

Call me naive if you want but ..... What is the point of a Sock account ?

The problem comes when a member uses that account to circumvent the RoP sanctions.

So long as that's not the case I see no reason to ban it.
It wasn't the case - one post this year, august.

Call me naive if you want but ..... What is the point of a Sock account ?
I used a sock for three reasons.

1. So I could post on issues without people knowing who I was, given a fair few people know me . More of an issue when I was still going to bandcamp.

2. So I could post without scribbly dribblers wading in.

3. As a placeholder / bookmark for longer threads, such as the one discussing Ajax.

We don't always get things right.

As I always say if you feel a sanction is unjust then raise a ticket.
I think it fair to say the Mod concerned isn't one I'd expect Christmas cards from ( narrows it down to about 48, I know...)

How is this ticket raised?

Asking for a sock :)

Dalef65

Old-Salt
I used a sock for ..........

3. As a placeholder / bookmark for longer threads, such as the one discussing Ajax.
Genuine question (ie I'm not having a pop)...

A couple of people have given this reason for having a "sock" account, and I've never really understood it. (This reason).

If you need to bookmark a thread, can you not just make a post with your normal account, if necessary don't make an actual comment, just put a full stop or something in there..?
If that makes sense...

Genuine question.

Genuine question (ie I'm not having a pop)...

A couple of people have given this reason for having a "sock" account, and I've never really understood it. (This reason).

If you need to bookmark a thread, can you not just make a post with your normal account, if necessary don't make an actual comment, just put a full stop or something in there..?
If that makes sense...

Genuine question.
Some threads are deeply technical as well as hugely interesting, and I don't want to fill these threads with unnecessary posts.

HHH

GCM
If you are interested in a thread, you don't have to post on it, all you have to do is click "watch" at the top of the thread, then you are notified of new posts on it etc and it is easy to find in your "watched threads" list

If you are interested in a thread, you don't have to post on it, all you have to do is click "watch" at the top of the thread, then you are notified of new posts on it etc and it is easy to find in your "watched threads" list
There's even a Search function with a 'thread titles only' option. Putting in "ajax" for example brings up 9 threads, the top result being the one of interest here.

Some threads are deeply technical as well as hugely interesting, and I don't want to fill these threads with unnecessary posts.
There's a 'Bookmark' function built into the site, isn't there? Either 'Bookmark' a post (top right of each post) or 'Watch' the thread (button at the top).

I don't want to be notified of new threads, I want to dip in and out when I have time. Appreciate the pointer, though.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Am I missing something? As others have since pointed out, you don't need a sock account to bookmark a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.