Social Worker Powers

What powers do Social Workers have?

Do they actually have any or do they have to go through the courts to impose anything?

Having a bit of an issue with them

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If kids are involved they do have powers. Late on a Sunday night in here may not be the best bet. citizens advice first thing in the morning, give them a ring.

If kids are involved they do have powers. Late on a Sunday night in here may not be the best bet. citizens advice first thing in the morning, give them a ring.
They can’t do a damn thing unles you agree, they have a court order or a crime has been committed.

Basically with regards to imposing things like curfews, visiting your kids, sanctions, etc

I was under the impression they have to go to the courts but I have a bit of an issue where I won't elaborate too much as it is quite difficult and personal

What powers do Social Workers have?

Do they actually have any or do they have to go through the courts to impose anything?

Having a bit of an issue with them
As previously noted they have no power themselves but they know people who do.

Had to deal with them in the past when we had problems with my then stepson.
My advice, never get the c###s involded. The child can do no wrong in their eyes and everything is your fault and will report everything you say or do spun as you're the devil incarnate.
Every other support agency told us we were doing a good job with routine, structure and discipline but the SS were worse than useless.

ETA: be ultra cautious about what you say to them and record any conversation you have. Everything you say will be spun to suit their tick box narrative.

I have a meeting on Tues, I've already established that its in my interests to record it on audio, from what I've read online they tend to work in pairs and usually don't like the idea of an independant witness being present due to "confidentiality" but people have presented accounts that they have distorted whats been said to their advantage etc

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a meeting on Tues, I've already established that its in my interests to record it on audio, from what I've read online they tend to work in pairs and usually don't like the idea of an independant witness being present due to "confidentiality" but people have presented accounts that they have distorted whats been said to their advantage etc
Get yourself a good family law solicitor and have them present.

Is the meeting a section 47 enquiry?

If they have no reason to believe the child is suffering they have no authority under s.47.

They are there for the protection of a child, not punishment. You mentioned curfews etc, these are clearly punishments and can only be awarded by the court for a criminal offence. If the police aren’t interested, it’s none of the social workers business.

It’s either cünts exceeding their authority or you’re not telling us everything.

Acquaint yourself with s.47 Children’s Act 1989.

Its a start seeing as we don't know what the actual problem is.
How or why is it a start? What section is applicable?

You just googled ‘social workers the law’ and that’s what it threw up.

Well done chocolate teapot.

D

Deleted 154930

They seem trained to try and make you annoyed, as a way of flushing out passive aggressive behaviour, or trigger underlying anger. They are heavily rule based, so stay cool.

They only work in pairs if there is a potential threat, are you predisposed to punching people. If your meeting is at the local area office then most likely it will be a single worker, try taking detailed notes particularly of actions or decisions, have the Social Worker read them then have them initial at the end of the last line like a police statement, then ask to read and initial their notes.

If they're anything like the one I encountered, they are young and fresh out of university (a South African one, earlier that year) don't know very much about the world or how families can react and suffer under stress, and are on a VERY tight leash from a distant manager that is the one who really calls the shots. Take someone who can be a decent independent witness for you, and best of luck to you. Oh, and their office admin is truly shit, anything that you need to know (eg meeting dates) won't be sent out to you until the day before.

I don't know about now but years ago if one had family problems whilst serving, then the mantra was to avoid calling in the 'welfare'. After all they would have been out of a job if there wasn't case loads and the consensus was that once involved you couldn't get rid of the buggers. When I split with my first wife whilst out in the Far East, I wrote to the Colonel in UK and told him I didn't want welfare involved and I would sort it out myself when I brought the children back to UK. He agreed and it all turned out OK.

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
They seem trained to try and make you annoyed, as a way of flushing out passive aggressive behaviour, or trigger underlying anger. They are heavily rule based, so stay cool.
I don’t want to use the term interrogation, but it’s a standard interview technique. You get to the truth when you annoy the person.

If there’s two of them present that’s more likely to be for safety reasons. I’ve never known social workers work in pairs before as they don’t generally have the resources to.

As has been said before. I don’t think we’ve got the full story and be calm when dealing with them.

If it’s a step child, social services often get dragged in because the biological parents are trying to point score against each other.

Be nice, be calm and don’t get angry or arsey. Social workers can be a nightmare to get rid of and can break up relationships.

Generally they’re Guardiam readers and are self righteous.