Social tampering at University - The Times.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chocolate_frog, Aug 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pot-students are being "down graded" if they went to a private school.

Meaning one girl with 6 As has been rejected by EVERY Uni she applied for.

With one tutor quoted as saying they saw it as their job “compensate for the failures of civil society".

Surely this will just cause some of our brightest (though privately taught) minds to leave the country to seek education, where they may not return to the country on graduation. Leading to a "brain drain".

Likewise it is reported that grade A passes at Alevel has surged to 26.7%. That means 1 in 4 papers are an A grade or above.

I am not takin ga pop at the kids and saying hte exams are easier.... but surely such grades indicate that the papers need revising?

The median grade (for example C) should be where the vast majority of students sit, with Bs taking the remainder, and A being a select few.... A* should be a mere handful.

This helps the Unis to pick the brightests and the best.

You can't all rock up with an A*****! Otherwise the Unis HAVE to select on other points ie extra curricular activities.

The Times
  2. serves her right for having well off parents, f*ckin bitch
  3. Scousers are quids in then:

I'll get my cagoule.
  4. For what it is worth CF, we have the same phenomenon here in the US where reverse discrimination is the norm in higher education. I know because I am on the faculty at one of the largest unis n the US.
  5. Get on.... It all part of Nue Liarbore's plans for 'Social Engineering' to lower the entrance levels into Universities. It might all be done with good intentions to allow lower achievers and those from less well off backgrounds a chance at Higher Education. However, the down side to this policy will be quite a few potential students going into HE when they are unsuited for this.

The reported drop-out rate from Universities, Degree and HND level courses is as high as 35 to 40 percent.

As it its, many Universities and Colleges of FE have to run remedial classes for First year undergrads in basic Maths and English skills. It has even been reported that some Phd level students have difficulty in writing essays and reports in a coherant manner.

Are these the consequences of 12 years Labour's alleged 'Dumbing Down', or are 'A' level Students really brighter now than they were years :p ago?

Personally I doubt it. There is probably NO difference in the intellectual abilites of students back then, and now. It just appears that there is so much anecdotal evidence of the 'Dumbing Down' process that is constantly being denied by Educationlists, Schools, and of course our wunderfully dangerously batty Neues Liabore Gubbermunts....

The Jury is still out, methinks!!
  6. In fairness, every straight-A student private-school kid I've met who failed to get into top grade university and blamed it on these quotas was - it seemed to me - talking crap.

Most of these students are boring wastes of space, who did nothing but cram for exams and failed totally to develop any sort of character, sporting ability or extracurricular depth.

Perhaps the truth hurts, that being good at racking up A-levels is not indicative of university value, and it's easier to blame it on meanie government meddlers. Certainly Oxford and Cambridge aren't short of Etonians, so f*ck em - serves them right for not picking a reserve option in their UCAS choices.

7. Should ALL of the schools be helping the kiddies develop in ways other than exams?

7 weeks of summer hols could be used for all manner of outward bound fun.
  8. A lot of people seem to conflate private education and affluent background. This is an understandable mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

A great many parents, dismayed at the poor standard of state education in their area, scrimp and save to send their kids to a private school. And then their children are penalised for it.
  9. Got to agree with the frog, but more telling comment from the respondent on Saturday's "Any Answers" BBC Radio 4, who actually wrote and latterly formulated policy regarding exam questions.

In brief he said that he had been instructed to write easier questions, make them easier to answer and on the marking front it had become policy to accept the wrong answer if the student really seemed to be giving his best effort.

Also recent radio comment from Tim Harford "The Undercover Economist", discussing the probability of exam results displaying such a steady year on year improvement over the last twenty-seven years. The Prof. that he was interviewing said that the only way that such a steady improvement could occur would be through a policy of making the questions easier each year.

In each case it was agreed that there could be no criticism of the students who were taking the exams.

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

so, 'education, education, education'... but god help you if you actually DO do any work and want to get anywhere.

what a fcuking joke.

'Oxford turned down Amelia Al-Qazzaz, a privately educated physics candidate with 10 As from Stockton-on-Tees.'

it would be pretty funny for her to play the race card re this and watch the smug cnuts in charge of admissions squirm and try to weasel their way out of it.
  11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

oh, and 'With one tutor quoted as saying they saw it as their job “compensate for the failures of civil society".'

no mate - it's your job to fcuking teach.

I suspect if you actually asked the teachers who do the teaching what they would prefer, ie either a class full of willing kids or a class full of chavvy scrotes put there to make up the numbers, they might give you a different view.
  12. Did anyone read the article in the Telegraph by former education minister George Walden?

Our education system condemns children to second class lives

In regard to the International Baccalaureate, which is increasingly being adopted by public and grammar schools (my old school is now adopting it I believe) in lieu of A levels, he says;

13. The Armed Forces is by no means alone in posting its staff overseas, thereby having to compensate them the cost of putting their children in boarding (hence private) schools - many staff from MOD, HMR&C, FCO (Dip Service) and other civil service departments are in the same boat. It is therefore rather short-sighted to presume that all privately-educated children are from privileged backgrounds.
    I was fortunate enough to be posted overseas with one of the above organisations, thus getting my children into boarding schools. Had I been obliged to get them educated in some of the countries I have lived in, they would be extremely disadvantaged by UK standards.
    But the real point of the matter is that children who attend private schools undeniably receive a better education. These schools can, to a large extent, organise education the way they want it - they are far freer of government diktat than state schools. The results speak for themselves.
  14. ref a grades.

It was previously the policy, that the top 12% would get an 'a' on any exam. this ensured that only the brightest students got the a grade. Labour, with their policy of 'constant campainging' changed the system so the the percentage of As goes up each year. Rather than reflect well on the government, this only serves to de-value the qualification as business and further ed. no longer have a means of selecting the good students.

This is another aspect of labour policy to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator. The is a betrayal of those children and will compromise the future economic prosperity of the country.
  15. It sounds ridiculous when you say it really, that only a minority of students should be achieving the top grades. It's so bleedin' obvious. Of course, nobody is allowed to fail today. All that horrible red ink, it causes psychological trauma don't you know.