Social Side of the reserves

Evening.

I am currently considering Join the reserves as a Mechanic as my local unit.

One thing that concerns me alot is the social side of things, the chance of making friends.

Are the reserves generally full of younger people?

Are friendships made and kept or does everyone **** off and forget about each other at the end of a drill night or a weekend?

Evening.

I am currently considering Join the reserves as a Mechanic as my local unit.

One thing that concerns me alot is the social side of things, the chance of making friends.

Are the reserves generally full of younger people?

Are friendships made and kept or does everyone **** off and forget about each other at the end of a drill night or a weekend?
If you want ' The Sax Machine ' as a nickname, you will probably get that 'That tw*t of a sprog' instead.

Spotify walt!

Seriously, you will make some good, and long lasting, mates.

In my experience joining the reserves to make friends will lead to you being labelled lazy and making no worthwhile friends at all. Joining to do the job, learning how to do it well and working hard and you will make some good friends. How long those friendships last after you leave depends on all sorts of factors that you have no control over now.

What they all said. Join to make friends? It won't happen. It's not a dating agency or a club. Join to do a job and friends will find you. Some will last a lifetime, some just for the duration of a course or exercise never to be seen again but you will have the bond of a shared experience.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
The guy who does our recruiting had a word with us the other day - he wants us each to bring a friend in to take a look and try to recruit them.
I thought to myself "hows that going to work? Most of my friends are either already here or been in and left!"

I think it does depend on the unit though, some have a strong social side, others don't. We share a drill night with another one who disappear on the dot at half nine whereas we usually stay in the bar until half ten.

The guy who does our recruiting had a word with us the other day - he wants us each to bring a friend in to take a look and try to recruit them.
I thought to myself "hows that going to work? Most of my friends are either already here or been in and left!"

I think it does depend on the unit though, some have a strong social side, others don't. We share a drill night with another one who disappear on the dot at half nine whereas we usually stay in the bar until half ten.
When I joined in 1975, the unit was doing a recruiting campaign where, if you brought a friend in and they signed up, you'd get £10 (quite an amount at the time - more than 2 day's pay). It was an effective method.

Unless you're a social vacuum, you will make friends and of a type that doesn't compare with other friends. I met mushroom and The Hats Revenge in 1976, haven't seen them since 1981 and don't really get in touch with them via PM - yet I'd still rate them among my best friends.

In contrast to the above posts, I'd recommend the Reserves as a good way to make new friends. You'll meet new people and, if you're of a like mind, they'll become friends. It's as well to remember the bit about "of a like mind" though. Friendship is a by-product.

Schoolmates and workmates I very rarely see or speak to other than via social media. The blokes that I met in the TA between 1975 and 1996 I see regularly, through our branch of the regimental association with three dinners a year, the Facebook group for serving and former members, our monthly breakfast club and the weekly night out with 3 other close mates to put the world right. Some of these friendships go back nearly 45 years - sadly attending too many funerals nowadays. I still attend on the Company drill night with 3/4 others to manage our small museum, share the regimental history to new recruits and have a beer or two at the end of the evening.

'Kin hell, I give a free shout out to Reddit's randomactsofblowjob and this is the bit people object to?

If you will join the reserves, you may meet people like me. People should be warned.

If you will join the reserves, you may meet people like me. People should be warned.
Only in very dark, obscure corners of it. The dogging carparks of the AR, if you will.