• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Social Services & Child Protection

Hi all, after some general advice!!

What rights do both social services - v - parents have in regards to removing children and in particular taking children from parents with no support or literature or follow up advice.


Book Reviewer
From experience from Friends if they feel the child is at some sort of fairly 'high' level risk they jump in and watch over for a fixed period, if they feel whether in that period or not that the child is in a 'extreme' risk they have the right to put the child to safety, i.e, taking them and putting them into a Childrens Home, Foster Family and or safe housing accomidation, if they in see the child is at high risk without much surveilance, they would most probably take action straight away, if however it is the other way round and the family is at risk to the child, they would probably do the same anyway.


Gallery Guru
Hi all, after some general advice!!

What rights do both social services - v - parents have in regards to removing children and in particular taking children from parents with no support or literature or follow up advice.
Removing children is the very last resort, costly and they'd rather any family member had them first.


Book Reviewer
The parents also wouldnt have too much of a say in the matter if it is greatly serious, but if they say that they could handle the situations they would watch over until either situation improves, the parents can't really get rid of a child if the child is at no risk at all either way round, unless they totally give up or they have any form or Health Issues, Mental Health issues or Background respects, the social services wouldnt have too much of a choice if it is of a 'high risk', 'extreme, situation' but all in all children come with commitment and most Family's/ parents sometimes have ups and downs whoever they are/ regardless of any situation there in!
It used to be by court order. Otherwise the police would be required to take out Police Protection.

As for the 'rights' involved the Social Services and Police both work under a legislative permission. The court are the final arbiters of the rights of Social Services, the child and the parents.

Ordinarily Social Services would try and support a parent (or parents) to keep a child. They would give warnings (or even a contract) as to what level of care they expect (demand?). They should give notice of court proceedings to take the child into care (where possible). If it isn't then the court proceedings would take place 'ex parte' (without the parent(s)). Social Services then attend the home (usually with police) and take the child. It is then down to the parent to seek legal advice and obtain a court hearing (if they wish). They should also try to negotiate with Social Services (there will be a dedicated Social worker dealing).

I said ordinarily above didn't I? Well what often happens (especially late in any day or towards or at a weekend) Social Services will 'inform' the Police of a 'child at risk'. The Police then go and remove the child. A form is filled out (which gives details of the removal and to whom the police have handed the child to - this will be generic - not the name and address of the person who is now caring for the child. A copy of the form should be handed to the parent(s).
Parents still have to sign their children over to Social Services, that is, after a judge has made the order. (much the same as when you hand a pet over to an animal re-homing service, as that's about as much as some parents care). This will only come about after the parent is unable or unwilling to care for their child/ren because they are more interested in their booze, drugs, friends, social life, t.v., partner/s, whilst insisting that they aren't. Or they can't / won't do any parenting or feed the child or give it adequate clothes and a clean safe bed and stimulation i.e. toys etc and schooling. Unless one parent is in long term government care and the other parent is absent on a long term basis. Or parent/s are dead. Then the government has to make a decision. Phone your local authority childrens service call centre and explain what the situation is and find out the name of the social worker involved. That is, if the parent can be bothered. Don't forget, parents consider themselves the real victim in all this. A mother will just whelp another one. A father will just create another life and abandon it and the mother to their fate. Who gets to clear up the mess ? That's right, the police and social services.
Children will only be removed as a last resort but they can be placed with family or friends,this is the preferred option.It would then be possible for you to be assessed as a kinship carer.I am not sure if it is still called a Reg38.It just means you could be assessed to foster the child quicker than a main stream foster carer.Took me 6 weeks before I went before the panel to be formally approved.

Latest Threads

New Posts