Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Social Services advice needed please.

Electric gizmo - well, it says Ultrasonic Pest Repellant on the box. From China, so probably monitoring my every movement.

2 plug-ins supplied, low wattage 24/7 - numerous versions on Amazon etc.

eta - dunno what mine cost, as big bro sent them after he'd had success with them. Amazon examples range 9.99-24.99, some with 4 pieces - says pet friendly but none have arrived yet.

Last edited:

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
See if your parents insurance policy has a legal helpline as part of the policy. If so a good free first step

There is an old boy about 85 who lives alone next to my parents. He lives alone and always seems to be struggling a bit. The problem is, his house is infested with mice and the little buggers sometimes find there way into my parents house which send my mum into fits as she is absolutely terrified of them. A few months ago she got the local council to visit and they put traps etc in their house but not a single mouse was caught.
My mum discussed the mice with the neighbour who admitted his house was awash with them but he wasn't going to pay the £100 for the council to sort his problem and when my mum offered to pay he declined the offer of help.
It cant be good for his health and well-being for him to live like this and its driving my mum nuts given they're shielding at the moment. She hasn't slept properly for the last week now.
Anyone know how or if social services could help, or would the even be interested if he wasn't the one contacting them. Other than 'get a cat' any other suggestions?
Bought or rented property?

There is an old boy about 85 who lives alone next to my parents. He lives alone and always seems to be struggling a bit. The problem is, his house is infested with mice and the little buggers sometimes find there way into my parents house which send my mum into fits as she is absolutely terrified of them. A few months ago she got the local council to visit and they put traps etc in their house but not a single mouse was caught.
My mum discussed the mice with the neighbour who admitted his house was awash with them but he wasn't going to pay the £100 for the council to sort his problem and when my mum offered to pay he declined the offer of help.
It cant be good for his health and well-being for him to live like this and its driving my mum nuts given they're shielding at the moment. She hasn't slept properly for the last week now.
Anyone know how or if social services could help, or would the even be interested if he wasn't the one contacting them. Other than 'get a cat' any other suggestions?

I would contact Social Services direct. Local councillor might be able to give you a name to speak to, which can be a help. You might be pleasantly surprised. They'll have seen all this before and know the tactful ways of dealing with it. They might also discover the neighbour isn't claiming various things he could be. Going to Environmental Health might get a more heavy-handed response - Social Services will get EH involved if they think it's necessary.

Poppy

LE
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I asked my mum to go and try to talk with him again but he wont answer the door. Ive booked for the environmental health to send the pest controllers to my parents house to see what they can do (£ 80 for 4 visits, seemed worth a punt). the plan is to ask there opinion on the best move, I'm sure they must have has similar experiences.
The are visiting tomorrow PM so I'll update after that.

Bit worrying about him not answering the door though. She going to try again tomorrow.
if he's not answering the door ask the police to do a safe and well check

Fcuk the pussy footing around. Get the BFO door opening key out, get in and tell the guy to sort his fcuking Admin out or his Grandmother is going to be taken seriously ill.

Your welcome...

Talk to the Council Social Services department. The key word you are looking for is Marf. Multi Agency Referral Form. We use it every day in the police. It flags up vulnerable individuals and goes to a central hub that fires it to the appropriate agency.

If you get nowhere then last resort call the one people who will never say no. 101 to your local police for a Safety Welfare Check. We go, see what's up and at the very least stick in a MARF.

Invite the fella out & whilst he's away, extend hose pipes from as many cars as you can & shove them through his letterbox.

You might wanna crack a few windows & put up a few of those tree shaped air fresheners before he gets back though.

Hope that helps.

Latest Threads