Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Social Services advice needed please.

Camm1

LE
There is an old boy about 85 who lives alone next to my parents. He lives alone and always seems to be struggling a bit. The problem is, his house is infested with mice and the little buggers sometimes find there way into my parents house which send my mum into fits as she is absolutely terrified of them. A few months ago she got the local council to visit and they put traps etc in their house but not a single mouse was caught.
My mum discussed the mice with the neighbour who admitted his house was awash with them but he wasn't going to pay the £100 for the council to sort his problem and when my mum offered to pay he declined the offer of help.
It cant be good for his health and well-being for him to live like this and its driving my mum nuts given they're shielding at the moment. She hasn't slept properly for the last week now.
Anyone know how or if social services could help, or would the even be interested if he wasn't the one contacting them. Other than 'get a cat' any other suggestions?

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Flammenwerfer ?

As you point out, it's also a question of his well being and I would approach it from that angle.
One thing might be worth doing is contacting the local Citizen's Advice Bureau by phone. Obviously that won't be able to do much themselves but should be able to to advise on the way to contact social services that is likely to produce the most effective result.

As you point out, it's also a question of his well being and I would approach it from that angle.
One thing might be worth doing is contacting the local Citizen's Advice Bureau by phone. Obviously that won't be able to do much themselves but should be able to to advise on the way to contact social services that is likely to produce the most effective result.
I'll second this. I've experienced a similar problem, except with rats.

I would definitely go for the 'concern for welfare' angle but you might want to a bit steady on dealing with the old boy in person.

I'll bet the inside of his house has got away from him terms of keeping it clean and tidy, so he'll be very reluctant to let anyone in.

He'll also be terrified that someone will want to put him in an old folks home as a result.

Social services for him should be the way to go, but all that sort of thing has been cut to the bone funding wise so be prepared to make a fuss if you want something done.

Is there any family, a son or a daughter you can talk to. Explain that you don’t want to cause a problem for the old boy but it is unfair to expect you to have to live with an infestation.

I would have thought the Local Authority would be able to step in here?

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
He's 85, can't be around much longer. Especially living in squalor.

Serious answer now. As mentioned above enquire with local council about safeguarding and concern for welfare. Also mentioned above though is the fact that cash and resources are thin on the ground.

Mrs F once worked in Adult Services and got totally hacked off by visiting folk in dire need, identifying the services required to improve situations and then having to tell them there was either a waiting list or no funding - unless they had the wherewithal to fund themselves.

Not Social Services, Environmental Health.

They don't always charge and probably less likely to if your parents initiate the call as "concerned neighbours".

Last edited:

Poppy

LE
Social Services adult care should help, and council vulnerable adult section on their website might have a section to report to

Get some cats, make sure they get outdoors and they'll use the mice as toys to toy with and destroy at their leisure

Does the neighbour know for sure that it's going to cost him £100 or is this a figure that "someone" has told him?

I ask as I've just looked on my local council website and discovered that mouse control is free for council and privately-owned dwellings. It's £321 + VAT for 3 visits for rented properties (charged to landlord) and commercial properties.

Worth checking the facts rather than listening to a Chinese telegraph. Obviously different councils may have different rules.

I reiterate, Environmental Health to get rid of mice. It's Social Services if you want to get rid of the neighbour.

Sabretooth

War Hero
This is a serious health hazard, Hantavirus kills!
Surely the authorities can hire a pest control company to resolve the problem, If its still operating perhaps citizens' advice can help.

Camm1

LE
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I asked my mum to go and try to talk with him again but he wont answer the door. Ive booked for the environmental health to send the pest controllers to my parents house to see what they can do (£ 80 for 4 visits, seemed worth a punt). the plan is to ask there opinion on the best move, I'm sure they must have has similar experiences.
The are visiting tomorrow PM so I'll update after that.

Bit worrying about him not answering the door though. She going to try again tomorrow.

Sabretooth

War Hero
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I asked my mum to go and try to talk with him again but he wont answer the door. Ive booked for the environmental health to send the pest controllers to my parents house to see what they can do (£ 80 for 4 visits, seemed worth a punt). the plan is to ask there opinion on the best move, I'm sure they must have has similar experiences.
The are visiting tomorrow PM so I'll update after that.

Bit worrying about him not answering the door though. She going to try again tomorrow.
Being a Health Hazard with consequences of possible Death, Your mum should not have to pay for a remedy, perhaps you should talk to your local MP. Because regardless of if she becomes pest-free a reinfestation is likely until the old guy is either removed with his pets or pest control invade him with a bulldozer.

Latest Threads