Social Responsibility

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rasman, Oct 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a new thread that should stimulate debate.

Many of us will agree that the idea of Social Responsibility is in demise...

..."it's no one's responsibility and it's not my fault"...

...a sentiment that covers all fields of contemporary society from crime to education; from health to retirement and from the environment to governmental administration.

Here's my idea.........

Leave school at 16 and get conscripted into one of the Armed Forces for 5 years during which time you complete your education to degree level.

Leave the Armed Forces at 21 (presuming you haven't decided to 'stag on' or been killed/injured in action/accident) and serve a further 3 years Community Service in either Civil Police/Health Service/State Education or Public Service Sector.

Leave Community Service at 24 (presuming you haven't decided to stay in one of those professions or been killed/injured in action/accident) and face the world as you will with your head held high.

The table is now open for discussion.........
  2. "Leave school at 16 and get conscripted into one of the Armed Forces for 5 years during which time you complete your education to degree level"

I thought our forces are proud of their professionalism - would you be happy to serve alongside chavs who are forced to sign up? and what about people training to be doctors?
  3. who would work in Mcdonalds, and who would put the stuff on shelves in Tesco?

4. we would all be forced to have allotments/gardens and grow our own food - McDonalds would close down and Tesco would turn into a cooperative :D after all that army training we would all be shooting pheasant/wild boar to eat instead of pre-packed food. The planet would be saved!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My dearest Poppy you have discovered my secret master plan!
    I shall have to kill you now very slowly and pleasurably ofcourse!
  6. If they closed all the MacDonalds in UK how would that affect our world position. Isn't Maccy D's per square mile used as a indication of the civilised world or similar!?
  7. you cannot be serious? McDoanlds civilized??????????????????? :?
  8. The United States of America has never gone to war against a country with a McDonald's franchise. More's the pity since the French make sh1t French Fries.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Surely Panama had one?
  10. Nope, just Wendy!
  11. Somehow I don't think it's quite the sort of debate you had in mind :)

The model for social responsibility I have always admired is explained in Robert A. Heinlein's book 'Starship Troopers'. Do not imagine that the book is anything like that abortion of a film that was made of it several years ago. It is thought provoking and well worth a read.
  12. you could have seperate regiments with their very own burberry camo
  13. Sh1t! That makes Shanghai the most civilised place on earth.
  14. Poppy you mis understand me, never meant to suggest that Maccy D's was civilised (or a good place to eat) but seem to remember you can rate a countries progress in the world by the number of golden arches on its shores.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Typical square burgers daring to be different!