• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Social night in Swindon

Social in Swindon 02/10/09

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Guys and Gals

I had a bit of an idea the other night as a bit of a fund raiser for holidays for heroes, off the back of which has arisen another drinking opportunity.

The short part of this mail is that I was talking to a chap who works in Swindon's Yates bar and apparently they are keen to help out with any charities and as such, if we can get some decent numbers, they will give us free use of their upstairs bar, which has it's own pool table and also a discount on food in there. The upstairs bar only does bottled drinks, however we would be able to pop downstairs to the bar down there, where they do "three bitters" on tap. I don't know what these are as I haven't been in there yet, however I will do a recce on this.

Now although I wasn't at the recent London social I heard there was a problem with a collection tin going around the pub up there, so I asked about the possibility of this up front and was told, that they would prefer to have some collection buckets on the bar and they have said that this has proved quite popular in the past.

For the many of you who don't know Swindon that well, Yates bar is only about five minutes walk from the train station and there are several cheap travelodge or holiday inn type hotels within a short distance from it.

Firstly, are people open to this and interested in attending and secondly what's the view on a date of 2nd October?. We would have to go for a Friday at some point as they said that they get too busy on a Saturday and wouldn't want to run this as well.

As much as I really hate Swindon (last time I was there was by court order...as a juror!!!!) stick my name down for it.

Depending on shifts will see if I can make it. Anyone thinking of travelling back to London on the night, the last train is at 2315hrs. Ive missed it many a time!

I will ask the workers and shirkers if any would be up for it, most of them are locals.

Right firstly apologies for the radio silence on this, I have been sidetracked slightly.

I am popping in to see the manageress at the first chance I get, however my contact there (he's a good contact in that he works there) has said that she is more than happy to run with this, and as it is such a worthwhile charity she is more than happy to help us our with this.

I need to speak to her re. the discount on food, however this should not be a problem, however the pub does two of it's own ales plus bombadier which is about £1.70 a pint with the pubs own brew coming in cheaper. We have been promised the upstairs to ourselves, with the previous caveat that the upstairs bar only serves bottled drinks so if you want it from the pumps it is a trek down the stairs, and there is no lift available.

As soon as I have more details on this again I will post these here, and if anyone has any concerns on how to get there from the train station, please contact me and I will give you directions as it is only a short walk.

Just a quick heads up.

I am having a few problems in getting a meeting with the manageress of Yates organised to go through this and make sure all is OK.

As time is creeping along, if I can't get something sorted here in the next week, I will look into an alternative venue and keep everyone appraised of the plan.

Latest Threads