Social night in Swindon

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by squeekingsapper, Aug 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

Guys and Gals

I had a bit of an idea the other night as a bit of a fund raiser for holidays for heroes, off the back of which has arisen another drinking opportunity.

The short part of this mail is that I was talking to a chap who works in Swindon's Yates bar and apparently they are keen to help out with any charities and as such, if we can get some decent numbers, they will give us free use of their upstairs bar, which has it's own pool table and also a discount on food in there. The upstairs bar only does bottled drinks, however we would be able to pop downstairs to the bar down there, where they do "three bitters" on tap. I don't know what these are as I haven't been in there yet, however I will do a recce on this.

Now although I wasn't at the recent London social I heard there was a problem with a collection tin going around the pub up there, so I asked about the possibility of this up front and was told, that they would prefer to have some collection buckets on the bar and they have said that this has proved quite popular in the past.

For the many of you who don't know Swindon that well, Yates bar is only about five minutes walk from the train station and there are several cheap travelodge or holiday inn type hotels within a short distance from it.

Firstly, are people open to this and interested in attending and secondly what's the view on a date of 2nd October?. We would have to go for a Friday at some point as they said that they get too busy on a Saturday and wouldn't want to run this as well.
  2. Will check my work diary, see what I'm working
  3. As much as I really hate Swindon (last time I was there was by court a juror!!!!) stick my name down for it.
  4. I would hope to be there too

5. I might try to pop along
  6. I'd come!

But as in the museum meet up, i am still a dirty civvy..
  7. i could get 5 or 6
  8. I'm trying get get a life so if im home, i will go
  9. Depending on shifts will see if I can make it. Anyone thinking of travelling back to London on the night, the last train is at 2315hrs. Ive missed it many a time!

I will ask the workers and shirkers if any would be up for it, most of them are locals.
  10. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Is there Wimmin in Swindon!!! :wink:
  11. Another maybe
  12. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Im free that night so make me a yes ;o)
  13. "Social night in Swindon!" A cracking contradiction in terms if ever I heard one! LOL :lol:
  14. Count me in.
    My eldest was out on the pull there about 2 weeks ago and he reckons that there is plenty :D
  15. sweet, forgive me if i get sidetracked :wink: