Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Social media is it Toxic Bubble...

Your bookmarks list would be an astonishing read!

Erm. Yeah. Well.

Just looking over them, they are an 'ecclectic' mix.

I know some people weirder than me? If that is reassuring?

happyuk

War Hero
"I am of the opinion that since the end of the “Cold War”, generation after generation across the wide sphere of a liberal western democratic and increasingly secular world, have lived in the main in a state of reasonable affluence, security and with levels of freedom that do not have an immediate individual or societal cost."

I think it's fair to say that's not just an opinion, it's a fact. My concern is just how little people make or do things for themselves right now. You've only got to walk down any high street to see how debilitated we have become in terms of health, vitality and personal initiative. You are correct in that should any global calamity occur in which people are forced to live extremely simply, it will be the primitive peoples who prevail, not these 'hamburgers on legs' as I call them.

@happyuk

"The harder the life, the finer the person"

and

"I had learnt the satisfaction which comes from hardship and the pleasure which derives from abstinence; the contentment of a full belly; the richness of meat; the taste of clean water; the ecstasy of surrender when the craving of sleep becomes a torment; the warmth of a fire in the chill of dawn"

both from Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands.

In the first world, people are largely of the opinion they live in a post-scarcity society. We have set ourselves up for a hell of a fall, I think.

happyuk

War Hero
My daughter is 18 and does not use Facebook. Her crowd see it as being for old age pensioners. They use other kinds of social media of course, including some that are part of Zuckerbergs collection.

I don't use Facebook either, I see it as the domain of chavs and other herberts who just want to continually brag about what bloody bar/restaurant/country they're in, or some other blatantly uninspired guff that I'm not remotely interested in. Stuff Facebook, it's > 90% puerile shit anyway.

I imagine it will be referred to at some point...

"We now turn to the matter of the defendant's list of internet bookmarks."

I imagine the Judge will say that "School Girl Spanking Cam" cannot be adduced as evidence of anything...

(Mr Clerk just clear my history list please)

My daughter is 18 and does not use Facebook. Her crowd see it as being for old age pensioners. They use other kinds of social media of course, including some that are part of Zuckerbergs collection.

I don't use Facebook either, I see it as the domain of chavs and other herberts who just want to continually brag about what bloody bar/restaurant/country they're in, or some other blatantly uninspired guff that I'm not remotely interested in. Stuff Facebook, it's > 90% puerile shit anyway.
Facebook is passé..I joined it the first year launched waay back in '04 when it was new and you had to use a college .edu email address. I am only there now as people post stuff about sublets and flats and the marketplace offers. Apart from occasionally keeping in touch with far away fam and friends.

A fun and well written article on the issues of social media and government service.

It's not just us who think social media sucks.

Though Telegram was useful for accessing and disseminating propaganda, many jihadists long complained that it was an echo-chamber, where jihadists congregated with like-minded individuals, thus not an effective platform for broader distribution.

Bit like ARRSE on the topic of Brexit really. Of course - one lot are humourless ideological extremists, the others are Islamist terrorists.

But in the same week the the Home Office has resurrected plans for some more laws, that could probably take out academic researchers whilst forced to recall one of their own 'prevent' advisory publications - who cares. The lunatics are in charge of the asylum, bit It's promotions all around.

Still not as funny as the DAESH 'religious scholar' arrested the other day
IMG_20200117_230440.jpg

You'd need a help of a calibre weapon to stop that fat **** if he waddled towards you.

Touch of Thread Necromancy,

but worth reading;

and

Touch of Thread Necromancy,

but worth reading;

and

Worth reading?

Hardly.

I was only a bit surprised that both articles didn't include a juicy 9/11 conspiracy.

Yokel

LE
Actually the first article was worth reading, no so much for anything to with the social media as such, but for recognising the way that the traditional reliance on hard facts seems to be trumped by emotions and feelings, not just in terms of public opinion but also policy making.

Actually the first article was worth reading, no so much for anything to with the social media as such, but for recognising the way that the traditional reliance on hard facts seems to be trumped by emotions and feelings, not just in terms of public opinion but also policy making.
Reliance on hard facts isn't that traditional. We have a longer history of relying on rhetoric to win arguments.

Yokel

LE
Reliance on hard facts isn't that traditional. We have a longer history of relying on rhetoric to win arguments.

Yes. Indeed the article says that, but the social and technological progress of the last few hundred years were driven by facts and the scientific method. We would not have conquered things like Cholera, a common cause of death in cities, without examining facts independently of who said them.

Latest Threads