Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Social media is it Toxic Bubble...

I quite like "primative" skills.

If I had to disconnect from the Net, I would quite happily resort to living as a hunter gatherer in the post skynet-apocalypse.

Got a signed Ray Mears autobiography on the bookshelf, next to my Loft Wiseman survival manual. I remember as a scout drooling over a mate's copy of that book, as a bunch of us in a tent obviosuly needed to know how to kill a polar bear that was going to walk through the field we were camping in.

If I can get my copy of this signed too, I shall be very chuffed.

Essential Bushcraft by Ray Mears

Ditto but since i'm a biffta I would likely be prey rather than hunter... :p

Bettany Hughes

She gave a younger me lots of naughty thoughts while watching her on Timewatch on a night shift.

But anyway, on topic. Could part of the problem be how we consume form social media? Remember the old serotype, of a gentleman reading his newspaper after work? Now who has time for that? its rapid fire news stories fired at us through social media, and trying to absorb that quickly can cause problems, especially when its easy to slip in cheap buzzwords and turns of phrase. Take for example the recent news story about how the British army is now worse than Cambodia's army. All delivered through social Media.

Everyone with an ounce of knowledge recognises its bollocks, but to your average person it looks credible, especially from its source, The Times Defence correspondent.
Who spent most of her career as a Political correspondent, and doesn't seem to have an ounce of military knowledge in her CV.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Sensible strategy to preserve integrity of prosecution and ambush defence from unrevealed material, to prevent perverse acquittal or unfair conviction.

Insidious threat to privacy.

Rape victims asked to hand phones to police

Original document.

Now just at the time when phone data evidence is in the news....

And people may remember my entry about IP Address Resolution failings.....

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...s-it-toxic-bubble.256251/page-19#post-8340561

Oops.png

Police: Could would You?

As ever, I where Job management are looking to source....

Good-Cheap-Fast-Comparison.jpg

Seems online is a two way range too....

Russian FSB Intel Agency Contractor Hacked, Secret Projects Exposed

7.5 Tb of data stolen from an FSB Contractor's network.

That's a lot of butthurt, comrade.

Mentor was allegedly being developed for the Russian military unit No. 71330, which is reportedly the radio-electronic intelligence of the FSB of Russia. This project would monitor selected email accounts at specified intervals in order to collect information related to certain phrases.

Predictably project revolved around ensuring a tight control over internet traffic and de-anonymisation.

Plus naughty things on P2P networks. Stay off the torrents, it is the on-line equiavalent of going bare-back with a stranger you pulled in a bad pub*.

, or Hope in English, is a project designed to visualize how Russia is connected to the rest of the Internet. This research is part of Russia's attempts to create a "sovereign Internet" where Russia can isolate itself from the rest of the Internet.

Nautilus is a project developed between 2009 and 2010 to collect information about users on social networks such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and MySpace.

Nautilus-S is research into de-anonymizing users on the Tor network by creating exit nodes that were controlled by the Russian government. This project was allegedly started at the request of the Russian Research Institute "Kvant".

Reward was being designed to penetrate and perform covert operations on peer-to-peer networks. This includes BitTorrent, Jabber, OpenFT, and ED2K

Tax-3 is the most recent project and was commissioned by "Chief Scientific Innovation Innovation Center JSC, reporting to the Federal Tax Service.". This project would provide the ability to manually remove information from the Federal Tax Service about people under state protection

*Not a warning calculated to put off the average member of this site.....

Yokel

LE
Meanwhile: HM Government says: STOP POSTING RUBBISH ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Don’t feed the beast - HM Government

Use the S.H.A.R.E checklist

Before you like, comment or share online, use the S.H.A.R.E checklist to make sure you’re not contributing to the spread of harmful content.
  • Source
    Make sure that the story is written by a source you trust, with a reputation for accuracy. If it’s from an unfamiliar organisation, check for a website’s ‘About’ section to learn more.
  • Headline
    Always read beyond the headline. If it sounds unbelievable, it very well might be. Be wary if something doesn’t seem to add up.
  • Analyse
    Make sure you check the facts. Just because you have seen a story several times, doesn’t mean it’s true. If you’re not sure, look at fact checking websites and other reliable sources to double check.
  • Retouched
    Check whether the image looks like it has been or could have been manipulated. False news stories often contain retouched photos or re-edited clips. Sometimes they are authentic, but have been taken out of context.
  • Error
    Many false news stories have phony or look-alike URLs. Look out for misspellings, bad grammar or awkward layouts.

Remind me who's twitter got done this week though....

Meanwhile: HM Government says: STOP POSTING RUBBISH ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Don’t feed the beast - HM Government

Use the S.H.A.R.E checklist

Before you like, comment or share online, use the S.H.A.R.E checklist to make sure you’re not contributing to the spread of harmful content.
  • Source
    Make sure that the story is written by a source you trust, with a reputation for accuracy. If it’s from an unfamiliar organisation, check for a website’s ‘About’ section to learn more.
  • Headline
    Always read beyond the headline. If it sounds unbelievable, it very well might be. Be wary if something doesn’t seem to add up.
  • Analyse
    Make sure you check the facts. Just because you have seen a story several times, doesn’t mean it’s true. If you’re not sure, look at fact checking websites and other reliable sources to double check.
  • Retouched
    Check whether the image looks like it has been or could have been manipulated. False news stories often contain retouched photos or re-edited clips. Sometimes they are authentic, but have been taken out of context.
  • Error
    Many false news stories have phony or look-alike URLs. Look out for misspellings, bad grammar or awkward layouts.

Aah - but that's what they want you to think . . .

This was quite a good fun article.

The Encryption Debate Is Over - Dead At The Hands Of Facebook

In it the article notes -

In Facebook’s vision, the actual end-to-end encryption client itself such as WhatsApp will include embedded content moderation and blacklist filtering algorithms. These algorithms will be continually updated from a central cloud service, but will run locally on the user’s device, scanning each cleartext message before it is sent and each encrypted message after it is decrypted.
The company even noted that when it detects violations it will need to quietly stream a copy of the formerly encrypted content back to its central servers to analyze further, even if the user objects, acting as true wiretapping service.

You may or may not mind Law Enforcement or Intelligence Services having the capability to do this....

Principles for a More Informed Exceptional Access Debate

However, private companies having the capability to do it should be another thing entirely.

Of course, they'll only perform such activity at the behest of legitimate requests from responsible nation states....

TL;DR

Boumer has many hats, but needs a new one.

Latest Threads