Social media is it Toxic Bubble...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by halo_jones, Jun 26, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Simple answer. Do not allow smartphones/uncensored computers to anyone under 16 years of age.

2. I do wonder that with MrsPlume, although as a Kiwi with family all over the world there is an element of keeping up with people & news at home. I was tempted to get this for her as a Christmas stocking filler, though:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Should it be news that a parent doesn’t let their kids use social media software that they are too young to register an account on?

4. Indeed, in my local town last week a 14 yr old boy jumped in front of a train & was killed, caused by social media bullying according to unconfirmed reports from other children at his school!

5. Social media is it Toxic Bubble...?

Yes

• Like Like x 1
  6. It doesn't mention how old his kids are, you can register a Facebook account from 13 years old, and the age restriction doesn't appear to be his primary problem with his kids being on it.

7. Hmm...Interesting and are we on ARRSE part of it?

8. 9 and under

Why Chamath Palihapitiya's family doesn't get screen time

They aren’t really ‘now banning their kids’ if they are under the age limit in the first place

More to the point are the parents who give their kids free reign with smart phones and create accounts with false ages, or buy them adult games and complain about violence and language

9. And which poison contains four of those letters?

Seriously, 'social media' is just plain anti-social, and rabble-rouser central....... except on LinkedIn, which is Facebook for rocket scientists, and CEO's of security companies with the CEO's initials in the title, posing in pristine desert combat equipment with faux desert dunes (Camber Sands) in the background and an Airsoft M16 gripped in pasty white fingers.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2

10. With the UK's current Police numbers/workload crisis, how on earth will that be enforced? Or is there some "magic manning" tree, you know a bit like Labours "magic money" tree :)

11. Facebook is an American problem, they have to maintain the age levels.

Indeed, those involved in working on Facebook under false profiles will have had legal briefing that there is unlikely to be any UK criminal liability in failing to adhere to Facebook's terms and conditions of service.

Otherwise we all would just give up and go home. Which obviously the job never does (unless it is volume crime, driving offences, on-line fraud, etc, etc ,etc).

12. Social Media: Facebook.

It can’t possibly last.

Or can it?

This morning I read a long article by John Lanchester (London Reviewer of Books) which I paraphrase below.

Started back in 2004 at Harvard University and spreading to other Universities, including the big ones in the UK, shortly thereafter, the membership was in the 1000’s.

Eight years later in 2012 the membership had grown to 1 billion users, 55% of whom used the platform on a daily basis.

Some people began to think, that as membership increased, that the daily usage would decrease.

However:

A couple of months ago it was announced that there were now 2 Billion users, and the average daily usage has grown to 66% and it is growing at 18% a year

The growth of this company is staggering. It is the 5th largest company in the world and the easy leader for social media log in (YouTube, owned by Google is second with a mere 1.5 billion) and that doesn’t take into consideration that Face book owns WhatsApp, (1.2 Billion) Messenger (1.2Billion) and Instagram, with 700Million, which each lie in 3rd 4th and 5th position.

Now, as @Nemises44UK has pointed out up there, there are 2.6 Billion people on the planet that can get access to the internet and FaceBook has nearly reached that figure, it has to go tits up then surely? (Lanchester incidentally uses the 2.6 Billion number.)

But wait. They have drones. Drones that are being built in the UK (Hooray!) and can fly in circles above areas of the planet that currently cannot get access to the internet, for 3 months at a time allowing, I presume, for a village in Upper Mongolia to access videos of cats falling off sofas.

You couldn’t make it up.

The rest of the article explains in detail about how personal advertisements work, how they are in league with companies that carry credit information (and a lot more besides) and how they really don’t give a toss about individual members.

I have had a Facebook account for 10 years, and a regular user, but am now seriously considering giving it a break.

Lanchester article link

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Facebook is the ultimate example that if you are not paying for the the product, you are the product.

Which is why always wondered why Facebook thunders against law enforcement access, but continues to sell data to the sugar/junk food marketeers.

You can look up numbers of data requests here

Facebook

Just to get an idea of the scale of normal, versus emergency, requests.

Neither is done on a whim. The emergency protocol requires nearly God's signature, and a "normal" evidential request can take up to 18 months after you have gone through Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) protocols.

But I bet they sell huge data (yes, anonymous data) to industries that get you to eat shite and die young.