Social media is it Toxic Bubble...

You just know some politicians in the UK are fapping themselves off to ideas inspired by this;

The national social credit system, whose aim is to “allow the trustworthy to roam everywhere under heaven while making it hard for the discredited to take a single step.”

Life Inside China’s Social Credit Laboratory
I think it would work in the UK, we could get Capita to run it. What could go wrong?

The report from the Henry Jackson soeicty is at this link

Terror in The Dark: How Terrorists use Encryption, the Darknet and Cryptocurrencies

I shall look forward to this over a brew

Top line takeaways are
  • That tech companies should create a self-regulatory system to remove and audit extremist content – and release public annual reports outlining their efforts, including stats on content flagged by users, the outcome of companies’ investigations and areas for improvement.
  • That there should be a new internet regulatory body appointed by government, with the role of scrutinising tech companies’ efforts to remove extremist content – with the potential for fines if companies consistently fail to take down offending material.
  • More resources for the Joint Terrorism Action Centre to build up intelligence on the Darknet.
  • Social media companies should work with law enforcement to ensure that extremist material is not lost when it is deleted, but is archived – to ensure that we understand extremists’ patterns of behaviour online and retain evidence.

Terror in The Dark: How Terrorists use Encryption, the Darknet and Cryptocurrencies

Top line takeaways are
  • That tech companies should create a self-regulatory system to remove and audit extremist content – and release public annual reports outlining their efforts, including stats on content flagged by users, the outcome of companies’ investigations and areas for improvement.
  • That there should be a new internet regulatory body appointed by government, with the role of scrutinising tech companies’ efforts to remove extremist content – with the potential for fines if companies consistently fail to take down offending material.
  • More resources for the Joint Terrorism Action Centre to build up intelligence on the Darknet.
  • Social media companies should work with law enforcement to ensure that extremist material is not lost when it is deleted, but is archived – to ensure that we understand extremists’ patterns of behaviour online and retain evidence.
UK law enforcement already access and have int on Darknet.

National Crime Agency wages war on Tor 'darknet' anonymity

Nothing is gone forever, it'll be somewhere, just harder to recover if not on backups.

Understanding the issue? What sort of hippy bullshit is this?
You've misquoted that; It's understanding the nature of the behaviour, and the patterns of those behaviours, as you more recently quoted. It's not hippy bullshit, unless Sun Tzu was a hippy, and "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." is bullshit

Top line takeaways are
No doubt this needs to be done but as always it's the mission creep that is worrisome to a certain extent.

Take this line for example: ' including stats on content flagged by users,'. How many times does it have to be flagged? As we all know, the so called 'people are outraged' statement often used by the media turns out to be a complaint by two or three people !

Which is all well and good until some whistle-blower, angry geek, fired tosser, releases the methods of collecting this evidence, names the people involved, sells it to the media, and then posts the entire content on the Darknet anyway.

You've misquoted that; It's understanding the nature of the behaviour, and the patterns of those behaviours, as you more recently quoted. It's not hippy bullshit, unless Sun Tzu was a hippy, and "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." is bullshit
I get Sun Tzu gets it.

I don't think the Home Office gets it.

Yeah.

I always enjoy NCA's public pronouncements.

Still, the black swat kit looks nice.
I'd imagine that those who do the web based stuff very rarely get to wear the black SWAT kit and even then it would be to stop the gorillas from breaking delicate stuff.

Last edited:
I'd imagine that those who do the web based stuff very rarely get wear the black SWAt kit and even then it would be to stop the gorillas from breaking delicate stuff.
True. The kit costs a lot, and when aren't going to stay for very long, shame to spend the money.

I'd imagine that those who do the web based stuff very rarely get wear the black SWAt kit and even then it would be to stop the gorillas from breaking delicate stuff.
I wouldn't be too sure, after all, blokes who sit in air conditioned Portakabins operating uavs over the net have no discernible need to wear flight suits, yet they seem to like dressing up in them, and that behaviour is condoned.

I think the appropriate dress set for cyber is the traditional

You just know some politicians in the UK are fapping themselves off to ideas inspired by this;

The national social credit system, whose aim is to “allow the trustworthy to roam everywhere under heaven while making it hard for the discredited to take a single step.”

Life Inside China’s Social Credit Laboratory
This stuff terrifies me. It's so easy to make a 'common sense' argument for each gradual step towards it.

I was in amazed in the US to find that if you rent a flat or apply for a job, they often run a background check - credit, criminal history, court records - as default. It can be very difficult to pick yourself up after a hard time, or turn over a new leaf.

This stuff terrifies me. It's so easy to make a 'common sense' argument for each gradual step towards it.

I was in amazed in the US to find that if you rent a flat or apply for a job, they often run a background check - credit, criminal history, court records - as default. It can be very difficult to pick yourself up after a hard time, or turn over a new leaf.
The gates of hell are open night and day; Smooth the descent, and easy is the way:
Virgil, The Aeneid .

With 63billion dollars in the bank does Mark Zuckerberg really give a monkeys.
Social Media is anything but social, but it is useful for keeping in touch and catching up with friends and acquaintances far and wide.
Get away from the political drivel and its not to bad.

I came across this fascinating quote

So we connect more people. That can be bad if they make it negative. Maybe it costs a life by exposing someone to bullies. Maybe someone dies in a terrorist attack co-ordinated on our tools.

“And still we connect people. The ugly truth is that we believe in connecting people so deeply that anything that allows us to connect more people more often is *de facto* good. It is perhaps the only area where the metrics do tell the true story as far as we are concerned.”

Andrew Bosworth, 18 June 2016
Facebook executive defends memo saying connecting people online is good even if 'someone dies in a terrorist attack'

It is lucky that it was apparently said to be provocative as part of an internal discussion.

The problem is, given the data stream that they have access to is apparently on a par with nation state capability - a bit more caution on their part, and more of a sense of obvious responsibility.

I came across this fascinating quote

Facebook executive defends memo saying connecting people online is good even if 'someone dies in a terrorist attack'

It is lucky that it was apparently said to be provocative as part of an internal discussion.

The problem is, given the data stream that they have access to is apparently on a par with nation state capability - a bit more caution on their part, and more of a sense of obvious responsibility.
"a sense of obvious responsibility" Is something that is missing, misguided or a deliberate choice, not only most of the Tech Industry but also many of the end users... Just because you can do something does not mean you should is a lesson that is lost on most.

Nation states are so far behind the curve, they don't even know what the curve is. There is a clear societal tussle between what we used to call, or think of as a nation state and what is envisaged by some multinational corporations.

Multinational corporations have no consideration of a 'demos', and why would they there Their consideration is on serving a 'single' customer base, not strictly creating and then more importantly sustaining its health, rather than a multi-level multi-functioning societal model that provides the customer base...

I am just happy I don't have kids, as they are the ones who will have to pay the price and likely hardships and dysfunction that sadly seems to be the near future. I often hope to be wrong...

Edit spelling

Last edited:
Wasn't quite sure if this was relevant anywhere, but given as it speaks to the Social Media and investigation issue that is often touched on here.....

Readers may remember the furore over iPhones in San Bernadino, where the federal authorities could not access the suspects devices? Allegedly the FBI used an external (Israeli) contractor to get in.

Seems a new solution has been rolled out.

Cops Around the Country Can Now Unlock iPhones, Records Show - Motherboard

I saw this first mentioned about a month or two ago, on some very tin-foil hat site I hang out on. The speed of the unlock is curious, leaving me wondering whether it is a brute force attack on the keylock (which j thought apple had put a control measure against).

Anyway, available now across police departments across the US it would appear.

Of course, the exploit will not last forever. You can assume the FBI complaints about encryption would continue.

And with the Home Office's continual narrative against privacy and "the Dark web" (and indeed the web in general), I doubt their attempt to reduce the appeal and efficacy of encryption available to the public will end either.