Social Media Awareness (PERSEC) MOD Award

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Forastero, Mar 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Apparently the MOD has won a Gold Award at the International Visual Communications Association awards (whatever that is). Please would the MOD pass on this nugget to Flt Lt John Singh (Chinook pilot) who was loudly trying to organise an MT lift back from the station to RAF Odiham last Friday on the 1402 from London to Basingstoke after a day of briefings in London. Not forgetting of course the Sqn Happy Hour in the mess at 1800 as well. Goon.

Nver underestimate the power of google.

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Defence Policy and Business | MOD scoops gold for social media awareness campaign

• Like Like x 2
  2. Did what he say about the lift sound something like this:

3. The idea of terrorists exploiting Social Media is akin to the McCarthy witch hunts.

Yes, no terrorist in their right mind is going to sit outside a camp or the local Costa Coffee and just watch people in uniform leaving. they are clearly going to trawl 600 million Facebook profiles and 1.4 billion tweets a day to find a nugget of information which is probably bollocks.

Even the CIA admitted in a Congressional hearing they do not have the resources to mine social networks and it is the least cost effective form of surveillance ever.

But kudos MOD. Kudos.

4. [​IMG]

One of Them coming in the back door?

5. Forastero - the good Flt Lt will have spent his day in town not attending briefings but being interviewed by the meeja about his heroism in Afg, for which he had just received a DFC in the Op Hons list. So, on the one hand, a member of the winged master race having just been told he's officially God-like, and you expect him to be discreet? :)

But a good and fair point, in all seriousness.

• Like Like x 2
  6. **** me, don't reckon much to the doormans searching skills in that club.

Sent from my iPad using ARRSE app 'cause I can.

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Yeah, I knew what he'd been up to working in town myself so I suppose in that respect he'd been fairly restrained! But as you say, a fair point (even if I say so myself)) and after he'd said his name, I just googled it on my iDog and within two minutes I had a fairly well swept up idea of who this guy was, what he did for a living and where he'd been recently. It wouldn't haven't taken much more to find out where he lived, who is family were and all the rest of it, it's that easy.

8. If he's on the Chinook Force, when do we expect his court appearance for sexual deviance?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Is this some aviation joke that us pongos don't get?

10. Forastero - Google Squadron Leader Kai Macnaughton...

11. Perhaps our Forastero needs to get himself on a Social Media Awareness course. He's missed-out on so much recently.

12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Got it. Remember reading the story, didn't put two and two together! Duh.

13. Not your sharpest day, is it?

14. This is a very good point, considering France's most recent Jihadist appears to have walked up to and shot unarmed uniformed military personnel in a public place on one occasion. My fear is that our policies here will only be reviewed if or when (God forbid) one of our homegrown loons decides to adopt the same tactic. Then it will be back to the PIRA cover up days.

15. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Yeah yeah! We're all allowed off days.