• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Social Media and the Military

My phrase "Serious issues" referred to the questions about freedom of expression and political opinion, etc. "Serious" did not refer to the importance of the photograph, which wouldnt be getting any attention whatsoever but for it being hyped up by... Mr Yaxley-Lennon.

PS - For "serious" read "genuine".
Well its always been the case for the army to be A-political (even though senior officers frequently ignore it) however I dont think taking a selfie with TR is political. I dont think anything will happen to the soldiers, the only one so far to go sounds like a discipline case. The army gets to pretend its punishing him for being "far right" but in reality its because hes a twat. Otherwise they will be sacking everyone in the photo. It satisfies those who say they are outraged and the army can carry on until FYB finds some other scandal to embarrass the military.

If you want to be (fairly) anon--------don't post recognisable photos of yourself or use your real name.
Not hard.(like me)

Can anyone find anywhere a MOD PR picture anywhere of a rainbow influenced and staged picture of servicePEOPLE of a brown and possibly construed as muslim hue? Any phots of black servicePEOPLE sympathising with people who know about colour schemes and such like?

Have you tried a search engine?
No, I have noticed though that any overt advertising on TV etc of "gay" type stuff never depicts people of certain hues or potential heritage.

I long for the day where a couple of divs asian birds in matching naval issue hijabs are pictured walking hand in hand or swapping spit with each other.

No, I have noticed though that any overt advertising on TV etc of "gay" type stuff never depicts people of certain hues or potential heritage.

I long for the day where a couple of divs asian birds in matching naval issue hijabs are pictured walking hand in hand or swapping spit with each other.
Try an email or a call to BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour or BBC 2 Victoria Derbyshire and express your concerns :cool:

If I posted something on social media which brought my (civvy) employer into disrepute I would be disciplined. If it was really bad, I could be dismissed for gross misconduct.
Case at my place now where we're using a (soon to be former) colleagues postings on LinkedIn as one of the reasons why he either takes the settlement agreement on offer or we see him at the Tribunal. Queue resigned look from his solicitor when he popped in to discuss the matter with HR.

ugly

LE
The employer. And is is subjective. If I disagreed, I would probably have to take it to an employment tribunal.
Agreed and even if the definition changes as long as the staff are issued an update then they have no get out.

Well its always been the case for the army to be A-political (even though senior officers frequently ignore it) however I dont think taking a selfie with TR is political. I dont think anything will happen to the soldiers, the only one so far to go sounds like a discipline case. The army gets to pretend its punishing him for being "far right" but in reality its because hes a twat. Otherwise they will be sacking everyone in the photo. It satisfies those who say they are outraged and the army can carry on until FYB finds some other scandal to embarrass the military.
I agree. IMHO some "words of advice" to those young soldiers would be entirely appropriate, and thats it, the case of the mentioned one individual being more complicated as you say.

It isn’t exclusive to the military though. The idea that your social media profile is somehow private is an alien concept to many.

I have ditched many FB contacts who started expressing views I disagree with. Not because I am a special flower, but I don’t wish any form of guilt by association.
Speaking to an HR consultant recently, she was saying that many firms will trawl through FB postings and see the sort of 'friends' potential senior staff have and then gauge the exposure and damage that could emerge if made public. Probably illegal for companies to do this, but almost impossible to stop.

Separately I've had to chuckle at the descriptions some people use on LinkedIn to describe their service background.

The_Duke

LE
Speaking to an HR consultant recently, she was saying that many firms will trawl through FB postings and see the sort of 'friends' potential senior staff have and then gauge the exposure and damage that could emerge if made public. Probably illegal for companies to do this, but almost impossible to stop.

Separately I've had to chuckle at the descriptions some people use on LinkedIn to describe their service background.
If you put something in the public domain, you can’t really complain if people form an opinion about you based on it. Any HR person worth their salt won’t put anything about it which might be discoverable. You will just somehow not make the final shortlist...

My wife works in finance and before 'onboarding' new clients there is a open source check to limit unfavourable exposure of the institution. In clear? Look dodgy or struggle to explain where your income came from? Go elsewhere!

They offboard people too, if there is a whiff of dodginess. Never knew that happened to be honest, why would I though?

If I posted something on social media which brought my (civvy) employer into disrepute I would be disciplined. If it was really bad, I could be dismissed for gross misconduct.
Add in the impact on operational effectiveness of being thought full of people who's views on local populations would jeopardise their cooperation...

I'm sure if you were behaving in a way which fatally compromised your employer's ability to do business in its key markets, they'd not bother restocking the biscuit barrel ahead of your next PD&R.

..the young lads in the photograph being exploited by him were idiots to allow that to happen.
Given the 'we had no idea who he was' defence has been trotted out, I'm amazed that they were dim enough to pose for any adult male who tipped up saying 'can I have a snap for my <cough> special <cough> Facebook page.

My wife works in finance and before 'onboarding' new clients there is a open source check to limit unfavourable exposure of the institution. In clear? Look dodgy or struggle to explain where your income came from? Go elsewhere!

They offboard people too, if there is a whiff of dodginess. Never knew that happened to be honest, why would I though?
Ahh, due diligence...

Latest Threads