• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Social Media and the Military

Not just the military. All large organisations do the same, leaving the individual who thought they did nothing wrong with options: hands up and accept a formal warning / dismissal, or go nuclear to some kind of hearing and hope you get it right (£££'s). Haven't heard of someone taking the second option and winnning yet, even though the entire thing is wrapped up in restrictions upon the poster's human rights.
One day somebody will stick their chin out, and win. Then the world will change. Until then ...

The_Duke

LE
Any large employer will have a social media policy. If you take their money, you agree to their policy.

Want to carve your own path, fine. It will be on your own money though.

That's what I've done for around 15 years now; self employed. But then again, you still can't post shite all over social media because if my customers saw it and were offended...

Personally, I keep my social media bland and if I want to express a political opinion, I come to a place like this and talk bollox.

Any large employer will have a social media policy. If you take their money, you agree to their policy.

Oof...a couple of mods have busted that in the past maybe!!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Still waiting for any form of pay from here. I didn’t even get a mug.
I could bring one up on London Poppy Day if you want. (If I can find them)

Whether we like it or not, the Army’s social media policy seems pretty clear: “Online behaviour which adversely affects the reputation of the Army or which undermines morale, good order, discipline, trust may be considered a breach of the Service Test and lead to Major Administrative Action”.

If I posted something on social media which brought my (civvy) employer into disrepute I would be disciplined. If it was really bad, I could be dismissed for gross misconduct.
I would suggest the armys idea of disrepute has a lower threshold than that of your firm.

Whether we like it or not, the Army’s social media policy seems pretty clear: “Online behaviour which adversely affects the reputation of the Army or which undermines morale, good order, discipline, trust may be considered a breach of the Service Test and lead to Major Administrative Action”.
I'm not going googling for these pictures, but there are some "fruity" pictures of soldiers in uniform "having a laugh" with some spectacularly well dressed men at Pride events.
The army tends to make it up as it goes along.

The employer. And is is subjective. If I disagreed, I would probably have to take it to an employment tribunal.
Which a member of the armed forces has no right to, since the issue doesnt involve racial or sex discrimination.

TBH, my personal opinion is that Mr Yaxley-Lennon is a tit, and the young lads in the photograph being exploited by him were idiots to allow that to happen. All the same, there are serious issues here and the OP is right to raise this for discussion.

Which a member of the armed forces has no right to, since the issue doesnt involve racial or sex discrimination.

TBH, my personal opinion is that Mr Yaxley-Lennon is a tit, and the young lads in the photograph being exploited by him were idiots to allow that to happen. All the same, there are serious issues here and the OP is right to raise this for discussion.
Blokes take photo that some people pretend to be outraged by isn't really serious.

Blokes take photo that some people pretend to be outraged by isn't really serious.
My phrase "Serious issues" referred to the questions about freedom of expression and political opinion, etc. "Serious" did not refer to the importance of the photograph, which wouldnt be getting any attention whatsoever but for it being hyped up by... Mr Yaxley-Lennon.

PS - For "serious" read "genuine".

Last edited:

Latest Threads