Sobraon Day

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Queensman, Feb 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Loyal Greetings and Best Wishes to all Arrsers on this the 160th anniversary of The Battle of Sobraon.
  2. Greetings.

Little known bit of regimental history.

The 10th (Royal Lincolnshire) now 2 R ANGLIAN (The Poachers) and 29th of foot ( Now R MERCIAN) fought toward each other on the battlements of Sobraon and finally met up amidst the bloody battle.

Ever since they have know each other as "Cousins" and continue to use the title when addressing each other.

Queue train noises.
  3. ...and congratulations to the nominated Sobraon Sergeant.
  4. ...and commiserations to the Orderly Officer who has to retrieve the Colours from the Sgt's Mess tonight!!

Link to the battle is here:

Battle of Sobraon
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I do hope that by now the Sobraon sergeant is suitably Pished by now?

Warmest congratulations to whoever is awarded the Honour this year :)
  6. Congratulations, indeed. And Orderly Officers make sure you're wearing your drinking boots at midnight!

I think there might be two these days! As both battalions celebrate the day.

In Gib a while ago, RSM 1Queen's said to young soldier lining the route between the two messes, 'Why are you here soldier?'
    Reply 'Dunno, Sir.'
    RSM wincing 'It's fcuking Sobraon Day, boy, that's why! Do you know what Sobraon Day is?'
    Boy 'Who's Sir Brian, Sir?'
  7. Pity that Sabraon Barracks in Lincoln has been flattened in the past 5 years and replaced by Boxy little houses!

8. I hope not or his speech will be embarrassing (never forget it was the sheiks we were fighting not the Sikhs). The best advice given to me was “only sip till you have entertain us all, then fill your boots”.

Congratulation to whomever it is.
  9. Three actually, as the 3rd Bn will be cerebrating as they usually do.

Well done Queensman, ever mindful. :D

its a ta centre for the East of England Regiment formerly 4th Royal Anglian and soon to be 3rd Royal Anglian

they only demolished a couple of sheds