SO2 Roles for TA Officers on Op HERRICK

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Lighthorseman, Jun 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys

I've recently transferred across from the TA in Australia to the UK and am interested in doing a HERRICK tour soon.

I haven't brought this up officially yet with my unit but would be interested to hear from anyone who has done a tour in any SO2 role as a TA Major.

Typical questions I have are things like deployment timelines. I assume given that it is a deskbound job that any SO2 role would not involve any form of MST but rather a HO/TO of some sort from the incumbent I would be replacing???

2. Can't advise but would be interested to learn how you get on.

Have you done a similar tour with the Aussies at TK?

I would be very interested in a comparison between two experiences.
  3. Lighthorseman,

Not that I have deployed as a SO2, but having mobilised a few times in the past, you will have to report to RTMC, and go through all the hoops there passing ALL the MATTS package and med & dental, click the link for more info!

You normally get mob'd for a year now with a few months with the unit before you deploy, then the tour then POTL at the end.

RTMC - ARRSEpedia

4. As a TA Maj you could also get an SO3 job: J3 Ops Watchkeeper being an example. You won't get a suntan but you will be kept busy enough. I'm a bit out of date now but for me it was: RTMC for 2 weeks in early Feb, a few days at OPTAG (an Iraq OPTAG - I was going to the other place though), and a day at the Bde HQ. Then deployed in mid-March. That said, the Bde would have liked me to be on their MRX (and quite reasonably so) but it happened either while I was at RTMC or before I mobilsed: can't remember. So it was pretty straightforward, but I suspect there may be more hoops to go through by now.

Would I do it again? Yes. But I would make more effort to find a job that got more more out on to the ground. However I was doing a shortish tour and beggars can't be choosers.