SO2 Roles for TA Officers on Op HERRICK

Hi Guys

I've recently transferred across from the TA in Australia to the UK and am interested in doing a HERRICK tour soon.

I haven't brought this up officially yet with my unit but would be interested to hear from anyone who has done a tour in any SO2 role as a TA Major.

Typical questions I have are things like deployment timelines. I assume given that it is a deskbound job that any SO2 role would not involve any form of MST but rather a HO/TO of some sort from the incumbent I would be replacing???

Cheers

LH

Hi Guys

I've recently transferred across from the TA in Australia to the UK and am interested in doing a HERRICK tour soon.

I haven't brought this up officially yet with my unit but would be interested to hear from anyone who has done a tour in any SO2 role as a TA Major.

Typical questions I have are things like deployment timelines. I assume given that it is a deskbound job that any SO2 role would not involve any form of MST but rather a HO/TO of some sort from the incumbent I would be replacing???

Cheers

LH
Can't advise but would be interested to learn how you get on.

Have you done a similar tour with the Aussies at TK?

I would be very interested in a comparison between two experiences.

Lighthorseman,

Not that I have deployed as a SO2, but having mobilised a few times in the past, you will have to report to RTMC, and go through all the hoops there passing ALL the MATTS package and med & dental, click the link for more info!

You normally get mob'd for a year now with a few months with the unit before you deploy, then the tour then POTL at the end.

STILTS

RTMC - ARRSEpedia

STILTS

As a TA Maj you could also get an SO3 job: J3 Ops Watchkeeper being an example. You won't get a suntan but you will be kept busy enough. I'm a bit out of date now but for me it was: RTMC for 2 weeks in early Feb, a few days at OPTAG (an Iraq OPTAG - I was going to the other place though), and a day at the Bde HQ. Then deployed in mid-March. That said, the Bde would have liked me to be on their MRX (and quite reasonably so) but it happened either while I was at RTMC or before I mobilsed: can't remember. So it was pretty straightforward, but I suspect there may be more hoops to go through by now.

Would I do it again? Yes. But I would make more effort to find a job that got more more out on to the ground. However I was doing a shortish tour and beggars can't be choosers.

Latest Threads